All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-12-2007, 02:13 AM

MylesG23 is on a distinguished road
failure during v20 software update

so earlier today I bricked my phone I thought, I called Nokia and told them it was stuck on the nokia screen, they said to send it in, I tried the update again upstairs and it worked.... then I changed the product code to euro 1 that worked, then I tried the software update to v20... then bout 90% the phone reset, turned on the keys lit up but it was stuck on that white nokia screen with blue letters....now nothing is happening. "Cannot connect to phone"

Old 14-12-2007, 02:23 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Question And you tried updating again after it worked?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesG23 View Post
so earlier today I bricked my phone I thought, I called Nokia and told them it was stuck on the nokia screen, they said to send it in, I tried the update again upstairs and it worked.... then I changed the product code to euro 1 that worked, then I tried the software update to v20... then bout 90% the phone reset, turned on the keys lit up but it was stuck on that white nokia screen with blue letters....now nothing is happening. "Cannot connect to phone"
I'm confused .. you said you thought you bricked it .. but hadn't .. then you managed to update it .. so my question is WHY did you want to update it AGAIN?

- can the NSS - or whatever you used to change the product code - see the phone?

- does holding the GREEN and * and 3 buttons while turning on the phone do anything ?

- beyond this you might just have to send it in after-all.. sorry!

Old 14-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Well the first upgrade was from v10 to v12...then i came back like 3 hours later and tried v12 to v20....

When i connect it to the computer, it recognizes it.. and NSS does read it too.

Old 14-12-2007, 11:46 PM

so i'm screwed?
Ads

Old 15-12-2007, 12:06 AM

sturgeon is on a distinguished road
Did you try seki's advice? (holding the GREEN and * and 3 buttons while turning on the phone)

Hold them down until the phone boots.

s.

Old 15-12-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Did you try seki's advice? (holding the GREEN and * and 3 buttons while turning on the phone)

Hold them down until the phone boots.

s.

Yes I have.. this is what it looks like.

Old 15-12-2007, 01:04 AM

hongsit is on a distinguished road
do you have a memory card in there, if so, take it out and do the green, 3 & * button thing again.
See if that works

Old 15-12-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsit View Post
do you have a memory card in there, if so, take it out and do the green, 3 & * button thing again.
See if that works

No luck .... is there a way to put it in recovery mode?

Old 15-12-2007, 10:49 AM

hongsit is on a distinguished road
Not that I know off. Sorry, you may have bricked your phone.
Keep trying to do the green, 3 button thing whilst powering on.
Make sure you actually press the three buttons then press the power button.
if that still doesn't work, take it into repair centre.

Old 15-12-2007, 03:36 PM

headerball is on a distinguished road
I was getting the same trouble after I updated PC Suite to the latest version. It's like NSU loses contact with about 90% done. Luckily I was able to get a guy to flash with cable. But I reinstalled an earlier version of PC suite and problem hasn't recurred when updating other phones. It's obviously something to do with the cable connectivity driver bundled with pc suite

Old 15-12-2007, 08:53 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer USB Connectivity during updates.

its vital .. for that reason I strongly recommend you restart your PC and reset the phone (using GREEN * 3 when powering on .. that way we know what settings the phone has .. won't go interfering with the update process AND that the USB is in a "virgin" state.

Actually someone posted a link to a nice bit of software for removing redundant USB devices from your windows registry .. http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup.zip .. I'm not sure of its effect on the N95 - PC Suite issue yet .. but the less crap you load into windows registry the better it performs .. I'm also a BIG fan of TuneUp and other such windows cleanup software packages .. the trial version of Tuneup can be used after the 30day period if you're prepared to wait a bit.. but its worth the investment to have your Windows machine running as the mighty architect intended

So again in short reboot PC and reset phone BEFORE starting the update.

Old 15-12-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
its vital .. for that reason I strongly recommend you restart your PC and reset the phone (using GREEN * 3 when powering on .. that way we know what settings the phone has .. won't go interfering with the update process AND that the USB is in a "virgin" state.

Actually someone posted a link to a nice bit of software for removing redundant USB devices from your windows registry .. http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup.zip .. I'm not sure of its effect on the N95 - PC Suite issue yet .. but the less crap you load into windows registry the better it performs .. I'm also a BIG fan of TuneUp and other such windows cleanup software packages .. the trial version of Tuneup can be used after the 30day period if you're prepared to wait a bit.. but its worth the investment to have your Windows machine running as the mighty architect intended

So again in short reboot PC and reset phone BEFORE starting the update.

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it. I decided to sent it to Nokia After all. nothing seemed to work... I'm a littler worried about the product code though, I wasn't able to reverse it back to it's normal code .... I really love this phone. So it's worth the repair, if there is a cost.