All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM

oo7ml is on a distinguished road
Calling all of you who have changed to the iPhone

I've finally given in and bought an iPhone as i simply can't live with the N97 anymore... I am keeping it safe in my drawer as hopefully one day soon they will release a solid firmware update...

Anyway... i was looking for a little help from those of you who have moved to an iPhone... how do you copy your contacts from the n97 over to the iPhone (without using MS Outlook)

thanks in advance...

Old 12-01-2010, 02:05 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Dunno if this would help had a look at it whne was looking to upgrade my SE

https://www.mobical.net

Online info backup but no idea if N97 & iPhone supported

Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Gizn is on a distinguished road
Mobical.net is certainly a good option or find a friend with a Mac if you don't have one. The contacts can be sync'ed to the Mac Address Book and then loaded back to the iPhone. Take a touch of fiddling but it could be made to work.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I think I'd be seriously tempted with the new generation iPhone when it comes out in the summer ( 4G ? ). Would probably get in on a contract and bring back out here to Saudi and get it unlocked - how hard are they to do?

yes, I know I'm asking iPhone questions on an N97 forum....

Anyway, in terms of transferring contacts, the only solution I can think of is some sort of online syncing, eg Ovi Contacts, or Google syncing? I guess you won't be using Apple's equivalent ( Mobile Me ) ?

That's the one thing about Mobile Me I don't understand, it basically offers all the things that you can get with Google - but you have to pay for it, and it will only work with either Firefox or Safari - not with IE. Not that I use IE anyway, as I have a Mac, but it means I wouldn't be able to access it from work on their IE browsers.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 13-01-2010, 12:03 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know what the 4G will bring over the 3GS?

Old 13-01-2010, 01:01 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Rumours he say:

5MP Camera with LED flash seems pretty much a given
OLED screen - maybe higher res again seems quite solid
Possible Near Field Communications (rumours on this seems to have died down)
Possible Video chat camera and capability (only low expectations)

Bit leftfield but maybe upgraded platform dual core proccy and new graphics chip - that would be bit of a cat amongst the pidgeons as current platform by no means despicable.

Obviously new step up in OS version and running Flash (mebbe) and all new extra love and self worth capabilities.

Oh and rumours surfacing that release date may be brought up to April (Uh Oh Nokia and bye bye SE if so)

PPS Oh and to add - removable battery may be making an appearance

Last edited by snoFlake; 13-01-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Release date rumour and battery

Old 13-01-2010, 04:21 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Interesting!

If all that comes true, then it will only be a radio that's missing for me, and I might be able to forgive it that!

Old 13-01-2010, 06:34 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post

Bit leftfield but maybe upgraded platform dual core proccy and new graphics chip - that would be bit of a cat amongst the pidgeons as current platform by no means despicable.
... and destroy the battery life! Be careful what you wish for... lol

Old 13-01-2010, 11:03 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Rumours he say:

5MP Camera with LED flash seems pretty much a given
OLED screen - maybe higher res again seems quite solid
Possible Near Field Communications (rumours on this seems to have died down)
Possible Video chat camera and capability (only low expectations)

Obviously new step up in OS version and running Flash (mebbe) and all new extra love and self worth capabilities.

Oh and rumours surfacing that release date may be brought up to April (Uh Oh Nokia and bye bye SE if so)

PPS Oh and to add - removable battery may be making an appearance
The site's I'd seen were seemingly settled around a 3.2mp camera, but it would make sense to upgrade it to a 5mp.

Build materials seemed consistent across the two or three sites, suggesting it will be high grade quality eg titanium back.

I've also seen 'mock up' pics showing a front facing camera, suggesting video calling etc.

In terms of release dates, these were haphazard across the sites I'd looked at , some suggesting it may not be out til late this year ( 4th quarter ) , but it if it's in the summer, then I think I'd be tempted to get one by the time December came around ( giving it a few months to 'settle' down .
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 19-01-2010, 01:15 PM

kreso is on a distinguished road
Can that 4G iPhone make a call???

Old 20-01-2010, 05:29 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7ml View Post
I've finally given in and bought an iPhone as i simply can't live with the N97 anymore... I am keeping it safe in my drawer as hopefully one day soon they will release a solid firmware update...

Anyway... i was looking for a little help from those of you who have moved to an iPhone... how do you copy your contacts from the n97 over to the iPhone (without using MS Outlook)

thanks in advance...
To move your contacts your best bet would be to go to www.mail2web.com and sign up for a free personal Exchange account. This would allow you to sync your contacts and calendar via MailforExhange to their server. You don't need Outlook to do this, you can use their free Outlook Web Access client if you need to access the data on the server.

Once your data is on the server set up an Exchange mail account for the mail2web server on your iPhone (mail2web publish all the info you need to set up both the Nokia and iPhone clients).

5 mins later your data will be on your iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I think I'd be seriously tempted with the new generation iPhone when it comes out in the summer ( 4G ? ). Would probably get in on a contract and bring back out here to Saudi and get it unlocked - how hard are they to do?
It's been pretty easy up to now, just a question of waiting for the iPhone Dev team to publish a jailbreak and then running it. If you Google for "Ultrasn0w" you will find all the info you need.

HOWEVER - you should be careful that the jailbreak exploit exists before you buy the phone. Its apparently getting harder to find the exploits needed to create the jailbreaks and the interval between a new release of the OS and the release of the corresponding jailbreak and unlock is getting longer each time. Don't assume that anyone will find an exploit for iPhone OS4.0 immediately the phone is available. Something else to watch out for is that once you have jailbroken the phone it becomes much harder to upgrade as new versions of the OS come out - to the point where I haven't bothered to upgrade from 3.0 and probably won't until 4.0 comes out.

I haven't actually switched to an iPhone, I've had one foisted upon me by work but I still use my N95 for my voice line. The strength of the GSM/3G signal and the call quality on the iPhone don't compare to the N95, but then I hear the N97 isn't so great either.

In short the iPhone is a great web browser, application platform (if Apple will allow devs to build the apps you want), and music and video consumption unit. It's also reasonably good (but by no means best in class) for email, contact management and calendar management, but it's really not great as a business phone or GPS.

Best of luck if you decide to take the plunge.

xerxes

Old 22-01-2010, 03:18 AM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
no more iphone. buy the nexus one