All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-02-2010, 07:15 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Compass in Maps just doesn't work

I have the latest maps on my phone, but no matter what i do i just can't get the compass to work. I start maps, i wave the phone about as described in the instruction book. The compass stays white, i then tap the compass icon and if I'm VERY lucky it turns green. After a minute it goes white, i tap it again, and then it may turn green or yellow, if i manage to get it to turn green it will stay like that for a maximum of a minute. I have also tried getting the compass to work using the well known method demonstrated on youtube.

Apart from this issue maps works well and i get a fix very quickly.

Can anybody offer any help as it's driving me mad.

Old 28-02-2010, 09:33 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
if your using the v3.03 then i had loads of trouble with this. I got the v3.04 from betalabs and the few times i've used it it has been much better.

If you haven't got it head over and give it a try - seems quicker.

Old 28-02-2010, 11:06 PM

fldude99 is on a distinguished road
I wouldnt install beta 3.04 just for the compass..but it is true that 3.03 doesn't seem to utilize the compass very well..minor issue tho IMO

Old 28-02-2010, 11:42 PM

Well, I've put 3.04 on now, so will se how it fairs tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Check the Maps for Dummies sticky thread. I posted a link in there to a video that always works for me, and doesn't look as silly as what Nokia advise.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Check the Maps for Dummies sticky thread. I posted a link in there to a video that always works for me, and doesn't look as silly as what Nokia advise.
Yep, as i said i have tried that, i can sometimes get the green ring, BUT it goes of after a minute, and you can't really faff about with it whilst your driving.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
See how you get on with Ovi Maps v3.04. This has built-in wifi networking as an extra to AGPS.

I also use Maps Booster, the only app I've ever bought from the Ovi Store (£3), which again acts as an extra to AGPS and improves the lock speed and accuracy of Maps.

Once installed you don't have to do anything with it. It just runs in the background only when needed, like AGPS. It's particularly useful in cities and suburban built up areas. It even gives me a lock indoors and keeps my compass in the green most of the time.

I would go so far as to say that it's a "must have" for anyone using Maps.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Well i tried 3.04 on my way home from work this morning, i did get a green compass, but alas it only lasted about a minute before the compass turned white again, simply tapping the compass bought it straight back to green, for another minute or so!

Basically the compass still kept switching off, but tapping it would bring it back on!

Ian. you've mentioned Maps Booster before but i haven't bought it yet for two resons.

1/whilst driving you are constantly moving from one area to another, so i didn't think it would get a wifi lock before you had passed by.

2/ I wasn't sure how effective it would be for me as i live in a semi-rural location, and drive down a lot of unlit 60mph country lanes where the wifi connecion would be virtually non-existant

Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
same thing always happens to me. when i can finally get the compass to turn green, it only stays green for 1-2 minutes, then it goes off again. over and over. oh well.

what i want to know is why i have in my app manager, nokia maps using 7MB, and ovi maps using 9MB. i just updated to v3.04, and it asked me if i want to replace old version, which i did. so why are there 2 versions in my app manager?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
How does maps booster work?

How much of a difference does it make having it running?

Are there any occasions maps booster won't help?

dog-man

Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Perhaps it might be easier to give you all Maps Booster's home page which gives more details of it's service and coverage as well as FAQ's and a video by Steve Jobs of Apple (it's used on the iPhone):-

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/mapsbooster/

There seems to be some confusion inasmuch as Maps Booster doesn't connect by wifi, instead it recognizes over 100m wifi locations worldwide (I've added my location to it) and triangulates from them. A bit like using the mobile masts.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Does this work well in the UK?

I just watched the video demo and really, isn't it saying that the Ovi maps is not fit for purpose?

Why should we purchase a very expensive phone and then have to pay more (ok, only a few pounds) to get it to work correctly?

Nokia should be ashamed of themselves.

dog-man

Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 AM

Well, coming in to work tonight it did stay green for longer, but, i found that the accuracy was slightly worse. Green lasted for about 4 or 5 mins this time

Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
Does this work well in the UK?

I just watched the video demo and really, isn't it saying that the Ovi maps is not fit for purpose?

Why should we purchase a very expensive phone and then have to pay more (ok, only a few pounds) to get it to work correctly?

Nokia should be ashamed of themselves.

dog-man
Works great here, in the Cotswold's and surrounding area. Am using it on the banks of the River Severn at the moment whilst I wait for the Severn Bore (tidal wave) estimated at about 8 ft.

If anything, the video which referred to the early iPhones, which did not have GPS, is showing that they were not fit for purpose as this was their only positioning method.

Nokia/Ovi Maps has always had GPS supplemented later by Network based and then assisted GPS and now in v3.04, Wi-Fi Network which is roughly the same as the Maps Booster, but will take awhile to reach the same world mapping levels that Maps Booster/Skyhook Wireless are at.

Bearing in mind that most people buy this as a phone and not a stand alone satnav system, I think they're making great strides with the whole Maps thing on Nokia.

Is there any other phone that offers the experience that Ovi Maps now does with it.s UI, positioning methods and free navigation and synchronization?

I don't think so.

Last edited by ironass; 02-03-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Podcast with Steve/Rafe/Ewan on Maps v3.04 & wifi

This podcast discusses the N97 and the latest beta release of Maps v3.04 and the wi-fi networking as well as Maps Booster.

Interesting that the firmware update for UK variant of N97, which was released recently, contains Maps v3.03 built-in and not v3.01 as in the Continental variants.

The podcast is 33 mins long but well worth a listen.

http://mediafiles.allaboutsymbian.co...100301_171.mp3