All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 04-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Melmotion is on a distinguished road
Nothing special

Only thing unique is the combination of touchscreen and qwerty keypad with S60 5th edition. On the surface it has a customizable screen. The low end processor and cheap plastics make this phone undesirable. Plus the design is similar to HTC touch pro 2. Nothing that would interest me in this device. My N95 can do all the things this device can do efficiently. I'd rather go for a solid N Series or the upcoming E55 with solid build quality. As for touchscreen phones, I'd go for the well built Samsung phones because of the processing power and solid build quality, which Nokia has began to ignore.

Nokia N95 8gb NAM has the potential for increased functionality with new software updates but Nokia is completely ignoring the potential of this device in the US market.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:23 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't understand why everybody waits for this telephone as the messiah...
It has nothing very innovative except a customizable homescreen. Beyond that no innovation with regard to previous Nseries !
Uhm, how many N series phones have you seen with a touch screen AND a qwerty keyboard...? I know, none.

Mind you, as a long-time E90 user, the keyboard does look just a tiny bit rubbish. And I think they made a really stupid decision to have an offset spacebar, 3-row keyboard or not...

Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Why is everyone going on about the space bar all the blooming time!? When I'm typing on a PC I find that most of the time I'm using my right thumb to hit the space bar anyway, so having it offset to the right doesn't bother me in the slightest!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 PM

TheUndertaker is on a distinguished road
The bigger question would be, is the N97 really worth paying TWICE as much as the 5800, considering the fact that there are only a handful of feature upgrades that have actually been made?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Thanks, all, I'm answering the above questions (where appropriate) in the main N97 Q&A comments, might as well keep everything together!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Unregistered

bad processor?

the processor ist not the latest..yes..but why should nokia use a new one when the older one has enough power to manage the device?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
"Unregistered
It's just because it is Nokia !
I don't understand why everybody waits for this telephone as the messiah...
It has nothing very innovative except a customizable homescreen. Beyond that no innovation with regard to previous Nseries !
A bad processor...

I don't understand this expectation !"

Agree... They (Nokia) are lost teens preferences, and lost market share, and maybe lost me... So much money for almost the same 5800

Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Steve indicated that it doesn't support divx/xvid natively. Will it support DIVX mobile (users on the divx forums have indicated work arounds for getting 3rd edition version to work on the 5800).
The Xvid / Divx support issue on Nokia devices apparently isn't a technical one but a legal one. From what I can make out, it would be technically easy for them to add such support, but there are various licence problems with those formats.

As far as I know, Nokia can't put Xvid or Divx support built into their devices out of the box, but they can leave the door open for users to install such support through third party software. (They've done the same thing with OGG, it's not built in but you can install third party apps on the N97 and other devices which add OGG support.)

Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM

NickAnstee is on a distinguished road
"Nokia could have stuck in another 128MB of RAM, as Samsung did with the i8910 HD, but there are cost and battery life implications. A tough one to call"...Come on Steve, 128MB must be virtually free these days and as for battery life a minimal impact I would think, what is Nokia thinking of, potentially crippling a device like the first N95.
Ads

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 PM

GingerYellow is on a distinguished road
I doubt the RAM is going to be a problem. I'm running with about 29MB phone memory free on my N95 8GB, and I've yet to have any memory issues. That said, I don't tend to keep a lot of apps running because the battery life is so poor.

I was encouraged to hear that the battery is bigger on the N97. Any idea how long it will last with a 3G connection active? A lot of the functionality I'd like to use on my N95 is basically useless because of the battery life issue.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM
unregistered

Talking Great features that for sure but

but does it look the deal on screen ? does it have fancy transitions when switching from portrait to landscape ? Some promotion material from Nokia showed the tiles elegantly rearranging on rotation but all the real videos I have seen show the screen going black between the 2 states.....

Generally speaking does the UI have 'wow' factor or not ?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Waynester is on a distinguished road
I have the N95 8GB - still pleased with pictures it takes, apart from at night! lol
i`m also really happy with it`s video recording (Picture and Audio)
people are still Amazed when i record my band and put it on YouTube, they ask what camcorder i use!
my question is, does the N97 have better Video Quality and Camera than the N95 8G?
i was going to get th Samsung Omnia HD, but after hearing about the rubbish AMR Audio Codec that comes on the HD Video Recording, i wont be getting it now, my contract ends on July 4th on 02 Network, knowing my luck there will be another batch of phones to choose from, Grrrrrrrr

Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Unregistered

Is there any word on whether or not some of the software improvements (namely widgets and kinetic scrolling) will hit the 5800?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
The Xvid / Divx support issue on Nokia devices apparently isn't a technical one but a legal one. From what I can make out, it would be technically easy for them to add such support, but there are various licence problems with those formats.
Could you elaborate on this? The Samsung i8910 HD (and, I believe, the i8510 INNOV8 as well) comes with support for divx and xvid out of the box. Why can't Nokia just license the codec like Samsung did?

Last edited by rvirga; 04-06-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Unregistered

I own a Nokia 5800 and find the software a bit 'clunky' and not really optimised for touch. It's good to use most of the time, but is far, far away from being intuitive. Most users will find the same with the N97. I for one will stick with my 5800 and upgrade when 5th edition has matured.