All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If it does have that, these are just trivial points, they are not substantial useful things, these are just nice-to-haves that you would get bored with after 5 minutes, but would pointlessly use processor power forever. There are much more fundamentally important things that should be further up the priority list than superficial frivolous surface dressing.
That's not actually the case.

Nokia devices get support and firmware updates in direct proportion to how well they sell.

Devices (and most other things) sell primarily on their sensory appeal, mainly how good they look and how good they feel in the hand in the case of mobiles. The iPhone is a great case in point for this. Very few people are more concerned by what a device can do than what it looks like.

So if you want your new N97 to be well supported by Nokia you need it to sell well which means that transitions and other "eye-candy" are important.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

sorry but someone who tested the N97 can tell me if the SKYPE client is there!??!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Enfors is on a distinguished road
Quote:
sorry but someone who tested the N97 can tell me if the SKYPE client is there!??!
It's not. Presumably, it'll appear later in a firmware update.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

usual crag

Quote:
20 millions iPhones later and some people still don't get it !

I completely agree it's trivial and not very useful things ! I own a E71 and it does all the useful things I need and also not so useful things (stream internet radio, auto podcast download) and does it well. But if I am going to go for a 500 phone, it'd better be enjoyable to own and use as well as being useful so I don't think it's besides the point.
There is a dichotomy here. Sad geeks and normal people. I have a thousand things I can enjoy before I need to turn to my phone for enjoyment, god forbid that I ever have to worry about enjoying my phone. Fortunately Nokia know that the vast majority of people are normal and have lives which is why they are not so bothered about this stuff as some people round here think they should be.

The iPhone caught the moment very well and sold quite a few phones (still a fraction of Nokia sales) but most people in CPW are looking, and then saying "very nice but what else is there that is value for money and will fit in my pocket". I work in an office that benefits from a 30% discount on O2 phones and contracts. Two out of sixty have iPhones. Not impressed by gimmicks.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Level Head

Quote:
There is a dichotomy here. Sad geeks and normal people. I have a thousand things I can enjoy before I need to turn to my phone for enjoyment, god forbid that I ever have to worry about enjoying my phone. Fortunately Nokia know that the vast majority of people are normal and have lives which is why they are not so bothered about this stuff as some people round here think they should be.

The iPhone caught the moment very well and sold quite a few phones (still a fraction of Nokia sales) but most people in CPW are looking, and then saying "very nice but what else is there that is value for money and will fit in my pocket". I work in an office that benefits from a 30% discount on O2 phones and contracts. Two out of sixty have iPhones. Not impressed by gimmicks.
LOL! Not only are you right but quite funny too!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
prayfawind

Media play back and hinges

How is the music play back and sound,can it show album art etc? i've read that the Hinges will break over time? i have an E90 and in less than a year the hinges broke, i love the n97 but that hinges thing have me worried and kinda, almost looking at the Palm Pre

Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM

GingerYellow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. It's the first S60 phone with a touchscreen, and a keyboard to boot. A touchscreen S60 device would be as newsworthy as an iPhone with a keyboard.
2. A lot of us really like S60.
3. i wouldn't say it has no innovations. It has a compass, 32GB of internal memory with expansion, and uses the GPS for location-based services like weather. If you're comparing it against the N-series exclusively, the touch screen and QWERTY keyboard would also count as innovations.
4. Despite early reports saying the N97 doesn't slow down with multiple apps open, i'd still go for a more powerful processor. Of course, battery life would suffer, particularly with this downloading information via widgets all the time. Also, look at the Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2. Same processor, and despite a larger screen on the Touch Pro 2, it's more responsive overall than it's predecessor. Again, i'd like more raw power (same with RAM), but there's a lot to be said about optimization.
Can someone please explain the point of including a compass? Isn't it a bit redundant with GPS? Surely anyone who really, really needs a compass is going to have one that doesn't need batteries.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 PM

architengi is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

How are the s60v3 N-Gage games on the N97? I read they are zoomed from 320x240 with 1.5 to 480x360 automatically. Is this true?

Thank you.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerYellow View Post
Can someone please explain the point of including a compass? Isn't it a bit redundant with GPS? Surely anyone who really, really needs a compass is going to have one that doesn't need batteries.
I assume is help to define which direction you are facing when veiwing your location on the maps. Having used GPS on other phones it's difficult if you are not near road signs. I have ended up walking several feet down a crossroads and waiting for the gps to register which direction I have moved in to orientate myself. Personally I think it is a good idea if, indeed, this is what it does. I don't think it would be wise to rely on it for crossing the Kalahari Dessert, but maybe useful to find a Kebab shop in a hurry...?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

What about OTA updates?...

Does the phone support over the air updates here in the states? I had a N95 8GB a while ago and was really bothered by the fact that I couldn't perform simple OTA updates to the phone's software here in the states, when I could and easily did so on all of the old SE dumb phones I've owned. I think it's kind of lame to have to link a "smart phone" to a computer just to perform a software update btw... Thanks!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 AM

khalidraffali is on a distinguished road
bring on the in depth reviews..

i bought my 5800 after reading ur in depth review on the phone here. looking forward to the same treatment on the n97 too.
Ads

Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Thanks all, it's the weekend here now and Rafe and I were both out all yesterday. I've updated the review text (keyboard and conclusion sections mainly) and will get to some more of your questions on Monday! 8-)

Steve

Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 AM

ksvensen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down D.pad

I really dont like that the D-pad is on the left side of the QWERTY keyboard.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

Cool n97

got it yesterday- first impressions great but...quite a large mobile and running few applications will really slow it down. opening 2 many will resolve in screen freezing and if you get a call at the same time you won't be able to answer. if you are sensible with it- great new phone!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerYellow View Post
It is so you can use maps while walking. It turns the map to face the direction you are going. Very usefull! I was once trying to get to the train station in Venice once using TOMTOM on my N80IE and it was useless because it coulden't update fast enough to point me in the right direction. A compass would have been very usefull.

get it.

Ciao ciao