All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The BBC has to test every phone (no I don't know why either given the similarities).... I guess the screen orientation is enough to be different.

They test the most popular phones first.

The thing is if you support the E71 it will work on the E66 (and all the others running that hardware platform)... But I guess they want to be 100% sure. Surely a case for getting some users involved to help with testing even on an informal basis. We can't guarantee it will work etc etc.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM

GingerYellow is on a distinguished road
Works beautifully on my N95 8GB, well, apart from the downloading part obviously. 3G works fine (I'm on 3), the picture quality is pretty good, and the buffering is just a couple of seconds. And it's only 70k. Way better than the YouTube app, that's for sure.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 PM

andyspiers is on a distinguished road
Interesting app for sure but still has problems. There's no volume controls during playback, doesn't seem to be any download option and I just tried to watch Newsnight and it crashed after about 10 minutes. I'm using an E71 with the latest firmware and was using a WiFi connection.
Ads

Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
E71 New Lease of Life

Yes - it might be a 5-minute wonder but having this (downloading) BBC iPlayer onboard the E71 has suddenly elevated it back up to the No.1 spot for me. It seems to make such a huge difference (at least to us here in Blighty!) to the unit's overall appeal for some reason - and it works so well in its native landscape format. Yes, I realise that other devices can be turned round and others have better-than-QVGA displays, but there's something about it just 'being the right way up' that makes it work. So here's *my* top 5 at the moment (in true Phones Show style!)...

1. E71
2. iPhone 3G
3. 5800
4. E90
5. N96

...unlike the technical approach of The Phones Show, mine is rather 'which device is most likely to be in my pocket' just now.

Tim

Old 13-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Unregistered

I have an n95 8gb but going to the beeb link gives the message that my device is not supported . . . . .