All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-11-2003, 06:54 PM

ethune is on a distinguished road
My 6600 Review and Comments

I've had my 6600 for about a day now and would like to share my observations, likes, dislikes, and hopefully find some answers to usability. this is my first series 60 phone and it is taking some getting used to. i liked the easy ui of the t616 and am finding my way around symbian slowly.

Overall the phone was smaller than I was expecting but still much bigger than what I was used to (T616). It feels good in your hand - maybe the t616 is too small? For everything the phone is capable of it is pretty small.

- the RF is very good but not exceptional. I still have lost calls in some known bad spots. i was hoping it would be better.
- sound quality is excellent and sounds like a land line phone. i wish the volume could go a little louder. the speaker phone is good, but the volume is also low.
- menus are slow when the phone first boots up, but get quicker. searching for a name in the contacts list, the keys respond VERY slowly. this is the only place i have noticed the menus to be so slow it was unacceptable. idont know if this is because of the large number of contacts i have.
- importing outlook contacts loses categories. this means you have to manually build caller groups. i have over 1000 contacts and this was a royal pain in the -ss to do. other than this the synchronization process was very easy and smooth. ihave had non of the problems with the pc suite others have mentioned (using XP pro).
- there is no way to sort contacts by company name. why? isn't this a business phone? is there some way to do this i am missing?
- i like the fact that whenever you go back to the phonebook it remembers where you last were. so if i was in a specific caller group, thats where it brings me back to.
- the goto program seems useless as there seems to be no way to add very common functions to this list. is there a better shortcut program available?
- the soft keys for the top menu dont allow all functions to be programmed. for instance, i want the call log to be the left soft button. there is no way to do this. one shortcut is to just hit the send button which will take you to the call log.
- i miss the "more" button on the t616 which allowed me to turn on/off bluetooth and ir quickly
- .mid ringtones sound funky. i brought over a .mid from the t616 and it just doesnt sound right on the phone. i dont understand why this would be the case.
- i wish more phones would suport voice digit dialing. is there a 3rd party app for this like ms has for their smart phones?
- the camera quality seems pretty good although this is not important to me at all so i have spent little time with it.
- haven't had a chance to really check on battery life, so i will give more feedback after a few days.
- havent found a good case yet - does anyone know of one?

Eric

Old 13-11-2003, 07:48 PM

RoYaL21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
- i like the fact that whenever you go back to the phonebook it remembers where you last were. so if i was in a specific caller group, thats where it brings me back to.
Is this a new function or dont you close the program in the right way? You know that when you want to close a program, you must use "exit" or options->exit. If leave program with menu-button or end-button, the program stays active in the background. You can see what programs are running in the background by holding the menu-button for 1 seccond. If you didnt close the right way and you go back to the program, you'll get back where you were.

Old 13-11-2003, 07:57 PM

Thanks for helping me understand that. I wasnt properly closing programs. I had a lot running in the background ;-)

Eric

Old 13-11-2003, 08:22 PM

Hehe, i thought it was something new :p Well, its your first S60 phone so you will discover alot. I did.

Old 13-11-2003, 08:35 PM

Care to share any other secrets/shortcuts you have discovered?? ;-)

Old 13-11-2003, 08:48 PM

Go to this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/nokia3650/
Scroll down to 3650 tips and you'll find lots of tips that are also for 6600 and other S60 phones. Also lots of links to other good sites.

Old 14-11-2003, 07:22 AM

MDR is on a distinguished road
you can customize the two softkeys

just go to tools/ settings / standby mode