All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 AM

mgoodson45 is on a distinguished road
There will be a default Map provided which automatically download map for your current location in the world. There is also another option for a local map that offer navigation and detailed map using the internal GPS.

I haven't tried TomTom and others due to limited time I have, but it should allow the usage of internal GPS.

What could be more interesting is to use N95 as a Bluetooth GPS and you have other PDA as the map viewer/navigation. Not sure if this is possible ....

Old 12-12-2006, 02:36 PM

andybill is on a distinguished road
Hallo mgoodson45, welcome back! You can upload the pictures on imageshack Do you have any other GPS device then N95 at the movment? If yes, how well does the N95 work compared the that one? and does it onley work outdoor, and is the connection between the n95 and the sattelite stable?

Thanks! I relly appreciate your answers!

Old 16-12-2006, 10:49 AM

jac57 is on a distinguished road
does n95 have a barcode scanner

Old 19-12-2006, 01:38 AM

Yes, it does have a barcode scanner.

I just upgraded to newer software, it is much more stable now. Crashes now seldom and resets are rare. Battery life significantly improved.

If you wanted to have better preview, someone has posted a video of it:
http://cache.libsyn.com/mb/wtf-06121...95_preview.mp4

All I like about this phone is the GPS and Maps, they are fascinating. I wouldn't trouble you to look at the picture at this point, some work is still needed.

Old 19-12-2006, 12:20 PM

tsupatsupa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodson45
I was away for sometime... There is a few pictures that I'd like to share, but the website doesn't allow 900+kb attachment.
Any idea? don't have/use flickr....

YouTube.com doesn't work, it require flash plug-ins. I'm not aware of any flash plug-ins for symbian browsers at the moment.

Video recording doesn't work well at the moment, no sound.

Picture quality is good, but not the best.

Reminder: This is an early software, current result does not indicate the end result.
Are you for real???

You have posted this N95 thread November 2006 and up to know, you cant provide any snapshot and images taken from N95..

And you just give links to other sites that have 'live' pictures/videos of N95.

Seriously???

Old 19-12-2006, 08:01 PM

I think mgoodson45 is a very busy man. I'am glad to hear that the battery is improved. Just what's needed. Anyway, i still have some questions:

-Does the integrated GPS work indoor? , And generally how stable is the GPS connection?

-Do you you know which GPS chip it is?

-How strong is the integrated "flash"? maybe you can compare it with previous phones like the N80?

-And what do you think of the w-lan function? Does it work well? Is it stable?

Hope you have some time to answer my questions, thanks in advance!

Old 20-12-2006, 02:08 AM

1) Yup, it worked in door if you have an 'opening/window' in your rooms. Like most other GPS devices, the signal is not strong enough to penetrate walls, etc. It even very sensitive to folliage e.g. tall buildinds, etc.

I was a bit surprised when I sat down in a sofa next to a window, I managed to get a GPS lock. GPS connection is what expected of other GPS, as long as you have the application open, it won't take long to re-fix the signal after you entered tunnel, etc. If you close the application, it is a different story.

2) Not sure about the GPS chip, but there is one caveat.
The GPS antennae is located at the bottom of the unit, just below the numeric keypad of *, 0 and #. As you can see the numeric keypad is overlapped by the slider (S60 keys - Red, Green, menu, etc). So to get a fast fix or a fix at all, you may need to slide open the phone and let it 'see the sky'.

I haven 't tested much if it's closed, but it doesn't matter. You ought to have a cradle in your car, then just let the unit in slide-out position.

3) I haven't tested much on the camera, but the flash is very bright e.g. N70, N80 at least comparable if not more.

4) WLAN works well just like S60v3.0 devices. Tested with Open and WEP networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybill
I think mgoodson45 is a very busy man. I'am glad to hear that the battery is improved. Just what's needed. Anyway, i still have some questions:

-Does the integrated GPS work indoor? , And generally how stable is the GPS connection?

-Do you you know which GPS chip it is?

-How strong is the integrated "flash"? maybe you can compare it with previous phones like the N80?

-And what do you think of the w-lan function? Does it work well? Is it stable?

Hope you have some time to answer my questions, thanks in advance!
Ads

Old 20-12-2006, 02:13 AM

All of this information sharing is on voluntary basis and you should treat it on 'as-is' basis.

There is a fine thread of what I can and I can't say. What is the virtue of posting a photograph if it doesn't reflect the end-result? I can grab any photo and edit the exif to N95. Posting a photo with N95 exif, doesn't mean one has the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupatsupa
Are you for real???

You have posted this N95 thread November 2006 and up to know, you cant provide any snapshot and images taken from N95..

And you just give links to other sites that have 'live' pictures/videos of N95.

Seriously???

Old 20-12-2006, 04:15 PM

tsupatsupa is on a distinguished road
[quote=Posting a photo with N95 exif, doesn't mean one has the phone.[/QUOTE]

Posting also doesnt mean one has the phone..

Its just so 'amusing' that i have read some posts like this on different forums and would usually give links to other sites.

And i just dont get it how come you cant provide any snapshot/s of your N95?

You also mentioned you dont use flikr, should you really want to share, why not create an account. To think you also mentioned you have 10mpx digital camera, is it really that hard to take a picture of your N95. I was not asking for pictures taken with N95.

Oh well, maybe i will just treat it as an "as is basis' as what you have said.

Happy Holidays!!!

Old 20-12-2006, 07:02 PM

tinonaama is on a distinguished road
maybe nokia hasn't finished on the phonE cAmyra software... who knows... i dont...

Old 20-12-2006, 08:09 PM

There are pictures taken with the N95 prototype, if it makes you happy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/team-u/323023141/

Old 21-12-2006, 04:13 AM

Milhouse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodson45
What could be more interesting is to use N95 as a Bluetooth GPS and you have other PDA as the map viewer/navigation. Not sure if this is possible ....
That's what I was hoping for - to use the N95 with a Nokia 770 (or it's successor, or any other BT-enabled PDA-type device).

The Nokia 770 now has navigation software available for it (from Nokia! Also OSS variants) and the N95 could feed the GPS coordinates to the 770 mapping software over bluetooth. A perfect combination!

Fingers crossed...

Old 25-12-2006, 06:16 AM

Photos taken with my N95. The second one was with landscape mode (instead of automatic).

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3...2006003fp3.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6...2006005wd2.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3...2006006ba4.jpg
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4...2006007mk9.jpg

I don't think there is a way to use n95's internal GPS by other devices. Btw the new N770 is totally a new generation. You could find the pictures on the net...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:02 AM

skypine27 is on a distinguished road
When's this thing going to hit Sim Lim in Singapore?

Old 16-01-2007, 04:38 PM

Twinnie is on a distinguished road
So is it slower than the N93? I fancy the N95 for the GPS but I'm not getting rid of it if the N95's slower cos I like the idea of Vampent getting that emulator fast enough to play SNES games on the go.