All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 25-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia N95 - HSDPA, WiFi, 5MP Camera, GPS at 90cc

Tomorrow Nokia will announce the Nokia N95 its newest S60 3rd Edition multimedia computer or as Nokia say 'it is what computers have become'. The N95 features an innovative double slide design with multimedia controls and a keypad on opposite end of the phones. The N95 is Nokia's first HSDPA (3.5G) device, but also boasts WiFi, WCDMA, quad-band GSM, Bluetooth, IrDA and USB 2.0 connectivity (via mini USB connector). Other hardware features include a 5 megapixel camera, a built in GPS, TV-Out, 3.5mm audio jack, a MicroSD memory card slot and 150MB of internal memory. At 99mm x 20mm x 53mm (90cc) the N93 packs an impressively amount into a small space. Read on for more details and pictures.

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-09-2006, 10:18 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
More or less the same. Not very impressive to me. Only the integrated GPS is a fresh air. Also N81, without photos for now, but with the description from here: http://www.newmobile.nl/eur/en/news.php?news_id=d3f56d, seems an N73 with integrated 10Gb. Better then nothing... Not now, an VGA Screen. Maybe some day

Old 25-09-2006, 10:26 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
Nice piece of kit...

Kudos to AAS for being the first to properly announce details of the N95 (as far as I can see having surfed various mobile websites this evening! - all the rest are rumour at best) - you guys must have some good contacts

This is close to being a dream phone as far as I can see. Relieved to see that you don't list a HDD in the phone. This would be a shame in an otherwise near-perfect spec list, and would only make it heavier and more delicate. Better to have 2 card slots than an HDD if you're hell-bent on more storage, tho of course an 8GB microSD would be good.

Speaking of which, buyers of the N95 might be interested in this product - 4GB in your MicroSD slot, with 8GB on the way...
http://www.usmodular.com/MCE/default//product/2290

What will be cool is in a few years when mass market low end consumer models have this power - the point being the apps that it makes possible. Nokia are absolutely right - it is what computers have become. Which is why Microsoft and the PC are already on the road to oblivion, though few realise it yet.

Looking forward to seeing all the details tomorrow, and developing software for this device!

Alex
phonething.com

Last edited by ajck; 25-09-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Old 25-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
You know, that would be a near-perfect layout for any future gaming phone.

It would have the convenience of a vertical layout for calls and writing texts, and the game-friendliness of a horizontal layout for playing games (and of course horizontal is also better for web browsing, watching videos etc).

The multimedia controls on the left side of the screen would complement the d-pad on the right, and work really well in gaming. They probably just need a few more buttons below the multimedia ones, for more complex games.

Even if this model is a bit too expensive for the average gamer, they could use the same design solution on cheaper models too.

Last edited by krisse; 25-09-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Old 25-09-2006, 11:09 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
NJ7 wrote:
> More or less the same. Not very impressive to me.

Ah. I think you're the man that wants a gold plated mobile with holographic projection, 2 TB storage, and is an interplanetary communicator and teleporter, all for £9.99 ;-)

No, the N95 only blows away every other mobile west of Asia (and a lot within it). That's not impressive at all ;-)

Old 25-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Interesting thing on the link NJ7 gave, it seems one of these new Nseries is Nokia's answer to the RAZR (it looks very similar indeed if that's an accurate photo). I'd just been wondering if they'd do one in the 5500 review, as they've clearly managed to get the S60 hardware down to a much smaller size.

Old 26-09-2006, 01:09 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
An ABSOLUTELY amazing spec list, in particular for the size of the phone! My pretty much only concern is battery life at this point. The slider quality may also be an issue, but I gather Nokia must be getting better with that little by little...
Ads

Old 26-09-2006, 04:43 AM

fdxd is on a distinguished road
Check out that feature list. Not too long ago this sort of stuff was a thing of jokes. Soon we will be able toast bread(through WiFi)

Love to have this but i will be able to live with the N80 (hopefully).

Old 26-09-2006, 05:40 AM

ajpprc is on a distinguished road
Any news yet on whether it supports tri-band UMTS/HSDPA like some of the newer Windows Mobile devices, or if it still only supports the 2100 band? It is quad-band though, so I guess us North Americans got some love .

Old 26-09-2006, 02:46 PM

steve_perry is on a distinguished road
Official Nokia sites for the N95 & N75...

Nokia N95
Nokia N75

S.
7650: Sep02
N70: Nov05
N80: Aug06
N82 Black: May08
X6 Black/Red: Dec09
Samsung Galaxy S II: May11

Old 26-09-2006, 04:05 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
More pics

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09...a_unveils_n95/

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 26-09-2006, 04:15 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Wow, looking at the features, this seems like a PERFECT phone. Every feature you can think of its already there HSDPA, wifi, 3d hardware acceleration, a monstrous 64mb ram, stereo speakers, radio. What more could you ask for? Only question left in my mind is Nokia always leaves their phones just one feature short, to make sure people buy newer phones. What could be missing in this one?

Old 26-09-2006, 04:32 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh
Only question left in my mind is Nokia always leaves their phones just one feature short, to make sure people buy newer phones. What could be missing in this one?
VGA screen, touchscreen and qwerty keyboard.

Granted though, if the build quality is good enough and the firmware more polished than what we've had so far on 3rd edition phone, this certainly will be the ultimate multimedia phone. (EDIT: for the next 6 months that is but since it won't be released before at least 6 months then scrap that, it won't be the ultimate multimedia phone :-).

Last edited by elp; 26-09-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Old 26-09-2006, 04:55 PM

nbulp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp
VGA screen, touchscreen and qwerty keyboard.
Why qwerty keyboard?! Writing the current way is much faster... A bit slow at first, though

Old 26-09-2006, 05:41 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
qwerty keyboard or T9 is really a matter of personnal preference. Some couldn't live without a qwerty keyboard while others do not see the point. Before buying an E61 2 months ago, i was happily using T9 and it was fine for writing short SMS or even emails. But T9 really is a chore when it somes to typing various punctuation caracters, server addresses, urls, email addresses, unusual names, taking a quick note of a device model number etc. You have to revert to ABC mode for that. After having tasted the joys of a qwerty keyboard, i now know that i'll never go back to a numeric keypad. But as i said, it really is a matter of personnal preference.