All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-06-2009, 08:31 AM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
My Issues with N97

Blast. If only it was easier to copy settings, such as email servers and all that business.

Main issues at the moment, connectivity seems a little poor, plus also the phone doesn't seem to be displaying any info about 3G, and although it definitely can obtain packet data connections, it doesn't have the two little "greyed out" kind of arrows to say that one is available, which is quite peculiar. Can't figure this out.

Old 20-06-2009, 09:16 AM

simuk is on a distinguished road
Page 34 of the manual (PDF from website, not checked the one in the box) seems to suggest these icons should be there, solid arrows for an active connection, line through the arrows for a connection on hold, and broken arrows for a connection that is available/being established.

If you write another formal complaint, you'll be able to say that there's someone else on a forum that is also experiencing the same thing...

Old 20-06-2009, 09:18 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
YAY! Glad you got your N97 in the end sjdean!

To answer your question, were you talking about these?

If so, you need to set your phone to use a packet data connection "when available". To do this, go to Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Admin. Settings -> Packet Data -> Packet data connection

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 20-06-2009, 09:28 AM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Yup. Just found it myself. Under Admin Settings.

They've changed it around a bit haven't they?

Love being able to add like several access points into "Internet" and assigning priorities. Means whenever Im out of WiFi zone, it should connect via Mobile!

Looking good so far.

Got it hooked up to Facebook and iPlayer and all that business.

Nice nice nice phone.

The touch screen is quite usable.

Watching some of the reviews of people who have done videos taking the phone out of the box, I have to laugh myself. How you can mistake the wireless for a USB memory stick when it is clearly too small I don't know. The Sim tray is clearly labelled. The cover quite easily prises off (not as hard as some make out), and clips back on rather nicely too.

Loving it.

Cya
Simon

PS Like the kinetic scrolling in web pages, just really need that in the menus.

Old 20-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
How you can mistake the wireless for a USB memory stick when it is clearly too small I don't know.
Dontcha mean the stylus?

Yeah, I noticed they changed a lot of the features around as well. For example, I had to go into Nokia's file manager to format my memory card. I suppose thinking about it now it makes sense, but I'm used to there being a separate memory card program that deals with that.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 20-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
If so, you need to set your phone to use a packet data connection "when available". To do this, go to Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Admin. Settings -> Packet Data -> Packet data connection
Thans for that - I'd looked in there but didn't think anything looked "wrong" from the default setting "when required" so left it as it was.

Anyone know how to get the notification lights to come on (they're set in the menu, and configured to show for up to an hour), along with the "sleep" breathing/pulse? When my screen goes dark after a few seconds of not being used, there's no obvious indication that it's still switched on, yet alone if it's received a text message, email, missed call, etc... Finding I'm having to keep flipping the keyboard out to activate the screen or using the keygaurd unlock switch to activate the screen to look and see if it's both switched on and received any messages I may have missed (which usually I have due to putting it in to Silent).

Old 20-06-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simuk View Post
Anyone know how to get the notification lights to come on (they're set in the menu, and configured to show for up to an hour), along with the "sleep" breathing/pulse?
I think you need to go to Menu -> Settings -> Phone -> Notification lights (scroll to the very bottom for this). You can then set the breathing light and the notification light.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 20-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I think you need to go to Menu -> Settings -> Phone -> Notification lights (scroll to the very bottom for this). You can then set the breathing light and the notification light.
They're both enabled but very very faint - works ok if you're in a dark room or cup your hands around the menu button (which pulses white slowly if the phone is on, and double flashes if there's a message waiting) but it doesn't seem very stand-out obvious, would almost prefer to see the green or red "buttons" flashing/glowing/pulsing very quickly every 20 seconds or so depending on what sort of notification I've got.
Ads