All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Samsung i8910 HD gets 'II1' firmware

The Samsung i8910 HD (a.k.a. Omnia HD) has been left for the last couple of months in firmware limbo, with some showstopping bugs - but today sees the launch of 'XXII1' firmware (the 'II' refers to 'September 09') and I'll be putting it through its paces below during the afternoon. If you spot any major improvements, please comment and I'll add them to the list. Thanks. You can get the update for your own i8910 HD by hooking it up to PC Studio (latest version, please!) and using the built-in Updater tool. Note that there's no User Data Preservation, so backup and sync first - you know the drill by now, just make sure your PIM data, email settings and registration codes are all safe.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Let me know how that works for you, especially things like the 'stop' bug. I've been using the Hong Kong G4 firmware for a few days and its so much better. More C drive space, faster, stable, and no stop bug!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
To add to Steve's post...

You ONLY get offered the update if you are already using an ITALIAN firmware build (IF2 or IG2).

The stop bug is gone.
A 3D task manager is introduced.
Various other usability bugs have been squashed.
Camera & video capture improved.

This is the same firmware as the I8910XXII1 firmware released in Russia last week, but with a different language pack and different custom apps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i8910ii1.jpg (76.1 KB, 1 views)

Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Do you think II1 is a better firmware than G4? I like G4 and wonder if II1 is worth yet another flashing session?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I prefer II1 over IG4 - the improvements to MediaGallery (which Steve hasn't posted yet) - you can zoom in and out of pictures now; make this update worth it on their own.

Podcasting was also still broken in IG4.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
What a ripoff!
1) We were told that this fw upgrade would also upgrade QuickOffice to version 6, therefore allowing us to use QO6 without having to sacrifice a good chunk of C:. That was a lie.
2) The podcasting app is still broken, but now at pre-IIG2 levels. (a) It won't do automatic updates; if you set an access point and enable automatic updates, the next time you start the app it will crash on startup (don't try this - the only workaround that I know of is a deep reset of the phone). (b) Updating doesn't work (I have to verify this, but it's very likely): if you select a podcast and do 'update', it will connect to the internet and check, but no new episodes will appear even if there are some available.
I'm very, very angry.

Last edited by rvirga; 10-09-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM

"the connection between the phone and PC has been updated".

Booooooo...

Guess i'm waiting for the files to made available online instead.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 10-09-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

well...i only had 33.1MB after upgrade...did hardreset before and after
after copying over some of my ringtones and wallpapers to C, and installing main apps, had 25.1MB

tried the quickoffice update.....lost 10MB on my C: drive....uninstall and it's only back to 20.5MB.....stupid quick office doesn't have an uninstall for their install files....hacked my phone, using xplore, cannot find any sis or sisx file on c, so obviously it has all individual files....ugh....

Old 10-09-2009, 06:12 PM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
I think he meant that most of the unbranded Omnia HD's have Italian firmware, not from Italy. Most of the websites that guide you on how to change your firmware recommend the Italian firmware, but Steve and Co always try to keep everything legit, and talking aout hacking seems to be a taboo.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

It's not illegal to change the firmware on the i8910. No, you probably won't find a complete how-to on AllAboutSymbian, but we are aware of it, and heck, most of us have probably done it once or twice.

Yes, this firmware is ONLY available to Italian firmwares, that's the point that needs to be made in this article... will adjust it to suit.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
What about the Houdini feature? When uploading to YouTube from Communities app, the video uploads but then disappears and is nowhere to be seen. Has this been fixed?

What about the absolute shite sound quality when recording music concerts, which Nokias can do brilliantly... adjusting the mic settings I do not think really resolves this issue?

DLNA bugs - have they been fixed? For example my DLNA app never seems to refresh the available media list - seems to be stuck on the same videos my phone had when I first started the app months ago. And the other DLNA issues, like being able to stream content properly, eg HD videos you've shot...?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 PM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
So what about the browser stability, apart from the 'stop bug'? I heard it wasn't very stable before.
That and the dropped frames in HD video recording are the main concerns left now I believe. If it wasn't for that (and the announcement of the N900...) I would have bought it already.

The 3D taskmanager looks a bit slow indeed. A missed opportunity, if they'd made the rear applications a bit more visible, and clickable directly, it would probably have worked really well.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Unregistered

I've updated my phone to the latest IT verson II1, but the The telephone dial pad doesn't have 'abc', 'def' style lettering.. is it maybe related to the specific language settings?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
What do you think of this phone from Samsung?

http://www.in.samsungmobile.com/jet/...09#/technology
Ads

Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
What do you think of this phone from Samsung?

http://www.in.samsungmobile.com/jet/...09#/technology
Looks like a cute little feature phone.