All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Route 66 Mobile 8 gets a serious test drive

Guest writer Arjen Broeze has been trialling the new Route 66 Mobile 8 for over a month now and here's his very detailed review. The only real problem seems to be over-stubborn clinging to originally-calculated routes - apart from that Arjen gives this sat-nav solution a green light on all fronts. I was sceptical about the way search matches are still shown in alphabetical order, but Arjen argues that the search match filtering is good enough to do without location-sorted results.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

nokia maps 2.0 beta 2

The latest Nokia maps 2.0 now seems very stable. Also their maps systems has the best of both worlds. It has its regular free updated maps on microSD with the option to use the internet connection to check for updates of the locally used mapdata. So you can drive well informed when while at home and cheaply with less accuracy when roaming.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Agreed. To be honest, with the latest breed of online and semi-online services: Nokia Maps, Google Maps, Yahoo Go 3, and so on, all of which are free or (in Nokia Maps case) free but you pay a little extra if you want voice as well, the casual user is sorted without having to invest a hundred pounds or so in a full sat-nav package, as used to be the case.

And also agreed about Nokia Maps 2.0, I've been 'testing' it in full nav mode for the last 3 months and it's hardly put a foot (or should that be wheel) wrong.

Steve

Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Maybe Nokia Maps 2.0 is different, but I actually found Nokia Maps harder to use compared to Route 66 on the 6110.

On the other hand, I'm a pedestrian rather than a driver, so maybe Route 66 is a bit better for those on foot.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 PM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
I've been a dedicated TomTom user on Symbian for some time (v5 + 6 on 6600, 6680, N73 and N95) and it certainly does seem that everyone is catching up. Route66 now looks like a truly viable alternative, and McGuider looks promising. I recently started looking at Maps 2.0 and am very encouraged by it's improvements.

Just as well really, as it is looking increasingly like TomTom are abandoning Symbian S60 for good.

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Well, TomTom are having their own problems:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7336179.stm
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
What maps did Arjen use? When I looked a while ago the latest was 2007 Q2, which is a bit long in the tooth.

I have to disagree with the article a bit, I found route66 giving me quite a few odd routes when it didnt need to.

Also it is one of the worst to suffer from the bear right/left problem which can sometimes plague satnav.

But aside from that, I like the interface, and onscreen instructions are good.
Ads

Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Arjen was using 8.0.11722 (11719) which I believe is the most recent version, I imagine this uses maps from Q4 2007?

bartmanekul - I wonder if this illustrates a problem with reviewing sat nav - variations between countries for mapping etc.

I do know what you mean about bear right / bear left although it doesn't bother me. Indeed it has been useful when navigating country lanes with no road markings. (I'd agree in the cases where it is just a tight bend or similar).

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
You can check the maps version on there by going to

Settings - Map - And scroll down, it will say under 'Map'. Mine currently says UK Ireland 2007 Q2, and I know theres Navteq maps out more recent than this.

Unfortunatly, having the Navigator version I cannot check unless I use the special Route66 software that came with it (at home), since nokia maploader looks at Nokia maps (which I also have installed) first of all. I did update it about a month and a half ago, and Im a bit miffed that I had to pay for maps that old.

The bear right/left issue usually isnt too bad, but in a lot of cases (where I live at least) theres other roads I could turn down which Im not supposed to when it says it.

I seem to notice these things a lot more than other people, Im thinking maybe its because most of my driving is out in the sticks. (Or, Im a critical old fart).

Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 PM

DanF is on a distinguished road
Route 66 / Maps 2.0 Beta

I have a Nokia E90 with a 4Gb external card.
I live in Brussels (french speaking)
I use Route 66 since 2 months and have on the same fone Maps 2.0 Beta.

I would like to make some comments.

- I had the same problems to install the Route 66 : I had to reformat my card
- The start of Route 66 is very annoying. It can be stopped on the outer screen, but not on the innerscreen.(An upgrade...when?...)
- The maps of Route 66 have been upgraded but some old modifications of the streets (3 years) were not taken in account. The same problem exist with Maps 2.0.
- With Maps 2.0 all the street names, in Brussels, are in flemish. To make a search, I have to translate them manually before.
I cannot use my contact database (900) which is totally in french.
- You need absolutely GPRS for Maps 2.0. This can be sometimes a problem as it is mentionned.
Regularly I come to the UK and this cost a lot in the roaming procedure.

I agree with most what is said in the review.

Sorry for my bad English.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
I used R66 on my P910i for a couple of years. While I was generally happy with it, there were bugs which I was assured "would be fixed in an update" but which never were. On this basis, I wouldn't hold your breath for any updates any time soon....

Old 29-05-2008, 03:06 PM

hryzec is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesign View Post
I've been a dedicated TomTom user on Symbian for some time (v5 + 6 on 6600, 6680, N73 and N95) and it certainly does seem that everyone is catching up. Route66 now looks like a truly viable alternative, and McGuider looks promising. I recently started looking at Maps 2.0 and am very encouraged by it's improvements.

Just as well really, as it is looking increasingly like TomTom are abandoning Symbian S60 for good.
I personally have no special feeling about any of these appz. I have got a friend whose got the same opinion as you lovesign, but in these days everything is going ahead and time will show whose the best.

I am using McGuider on i-Mate Ultimate 8502 and it is running extremely gluey.

I simly cant drop that app down. I had tried to listen to music, run camera. That app is so sticky... Anybody who can drop it down somehow let me know.

Old 13-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Sparkyaas

E90

Just installed Route 66 Mobile 8 on my E90 and was pleased to find there is an option to place to navigation display to the right of the map. This makes much better use of the screen than the screen shot above in the review.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

Route66 mobile 8 nokia n78

I wish I could give a positive comment on the use of route 66 mobile with a nokia n78.. however.. there seems to be a problem/bug.. It is possible to install and use mobile 8 on a n78, even in combination with it's internal gps...however.. when one tries to access the options menu the application exits.. this is not handy at all.. the problem has been reported to route66 support and am still waiting for an answer..
I suspect the problem is with FP2.
I will keep you posted..

regards..

Old 21-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Unregistered

I have the same problem in Nokia N78, when i trie to go to options the aplication exits...