All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Series 80 > Nokia 9300 and 9500

Old 18-03-2005, 10:31 AM

kanwaloswa is on a distinguished road
Help: 9500 WLAN not connecting / resolving to external network

HI Guys,

I got a new 9500 and tried to connect it to my home wifi network running with lynksys hardware..

1. Lynksys network is being detected by my 9500..

2. I setup an access point for this wifi network, i set up my 9500 with a static IP 192.168.0.122 and DNS settings exactly the same as on my laptop. My linksys wifi router address is 192.168.0.1

3. I am able to connect to the router admin web-application by typing http://192.168.0.1 on the 9500 web browser, but cant browse the internet.. When I type www.yahoo.com, it just says downloading but nothing happens. I have the SAME settings on my laptop and it works

4. I even tried DHCP, I am able to get the IP address for my 9500 correctly, Can connect to the internal network (router admin app) but cant connect to any external site..

5. I have also tried setting 192.168.0.1 (router) as my primary DNS and an external DNS server as secondary. I have tried various ipv6 settings DHCP and well known but NO change.. I can connect to any machine in the network and my router but my 9500 cannot connect to an internet site.. I have even tried adhoc WLAN connection and same result

PLEASE HELP!! is there any setting i am missing, is it to do with Ipv6 DNS settings..?? I do not want to use connection sharing and want to browse from my 9500 independently..

Thanks in advance..

Old 18-03-2005, 11:30 AM

hashmap is on a distinguished road
1. Gateway is set to 192.168.0.1 on 9500?
2. Network mask is 255.255.255.0 on 9500?
3. No MAC address filter on router?

Last edited by hashmap; 18-03-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Old 18-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmap
1. Gateway is set to 192.168.0.1 on 9500?
2. Network mask is 255.255.255.0 on 9500?
3. No MAC address filter on router?
Hi Hashmap, thanks for ur reply,

1. Yes, Gateway is 192.168.0.1 on 9500 (linksys router's IP)
2. Yes, Network mask is 255.255.255.0 on 9500
3. ??? No MAC address filter on router, WILL have to check this one out and reply later...

Its strange, cos I am able to connect to the WLAN network and view the linksys admin console by typing http://192.168.0.1 on my 9500 browser

Old 18-03-2005, 05:18 PM

superkay is on a distinguished road
I had exactly the same problem, was annoying me for ages. I was using the same DNS server addresses as provided by my cable provider in the UK (ntl), and I got the same results as you....NOTHING!

Then, on the 9500 I changed the DNS addresses and used, say BT's, and hey presto!

Try it, use a different set of DNS servers on the 9500.

Old 18-03-2005, 10:04 PM

Didnt work

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkay
I had exactly the same problem, was annoying me for ages. I was using the same DNS server addresses as provided by my cable provider in the UK (ntl), and I got the same results as you....NOTHING!

Then, on the 9500 I changed the DNS addresses and used, say BT's, and hey presto!

Try it, use a different set of DNS servers on the 9500.
Thanks buddy,

I tried using another set of DNS servers, but that didnt work either.. im able to browse the internet only by IP addresses..

im gonna try a few more DNS addresses, do u have any that work for you..???

thanks..

Old 18-03-2005, 10:38 PM

Special is on a distinguished road
Well, I use the same DNS servers used in my laptop, and gave the 9500 an IP in the same network. It works perfectly now. Without any changes.

Do you have any kind of proxies?

Old 18-03-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special
Well, I use the same DNS servers used in my laptop, and gave the 9500 an IP in the same network. It works perfectly now. Without any changes.

Do you have any kind of proxies?

Nope no, proxies... Iv tried several DNS servers as well, but still cannot browse the internet.. :( As earlier, the 9500 is browsing well when i use the IP addresses...

Old 18-03-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwaloswa
Nope no, proxies... Iv tried several DNS servers as well, but still cannot browse the internet.. :( As earlier, the 9500 is browsing well when i use the IP addresses...
Where are you? Im in the UK using ntl as my supplier.

I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router connected to my ntl cable modem, with the router cloning the mac address of the modem.

The laptop works fine with the standard ntl DNS servers. When I first had the 9500, I set it to auto-retrieve its IP by DHCP, which it did, but I couldnt resolve any addresses. I could, like you, access web pages by IP address. Couldnt work it out at first, but then I thought, since it can reach a web page by IP, its gotta be a DNS problem, so I tried BT's DNS servers:

DNS Server - BTI (NBand) #1 - 194.73.73.94
DNS Server - BTI (NBand) #2 - 194.73.73.95

Perhaps you can try many others, but these work for me fine.

So now, the 9500 is getting its IP address from the router by DHCP, the DNS servers are set in the 9500, and it works!

Old 18-03-2005, 11:20 PM

no luck,

There is something terribly wrong i guess.. I have tried various DNS servers, including BTs the ones in ur mail.. doesnt work..

My laptop works well with the DNS servers of the DSL provider, but nothing on the 9500... im wondering if it a firmware bug???
I have a 4.44 (01)....

Old 19-03-2005, 10:33 AM

No Luck yet, tried resetting the router

Quote:
no luck,

There is something terribly wrong i guess.. I have tried various DNS servers, including BTs the ones in ur mail.. doesnt work..

My laptop works well with the DNS servers of the DSL provider, but nothing on the 9500... im wondering if it a firmware bug???
I have a 4.44 (01)....

Hi Guys,

I have also tried re-setting the lynksys router by clicking a tiny reset button at the back of the router.. but no luck.. My laptop still works and resolves addresses but 9600 doesnt budge..

I can visit sites only by IPs... :(

Anyone, has any more ideas...??
Ads

Old 19-03-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have also tried re-setting the lynksys router by clicking a tiny reset button at the back of the router.. but no luck.. My laptop still works and resolves addresses but 9600 doesnt budge..

I can visit sites only by IPs... :(

Anyone, has any more ideas...??
If you can get web pages by IP, its gotta be a DNS issue.

Others have said that reducing the RTS threshold might sort it, I originally did lower mine, but once the DNS issue was sorted out, I put it back up, so its unlikely to be that.

If your laptop works fine, so should the 9500, don't know what else to suggest?!

Old 20-03-2005, 12:01 AM

solved the problem somehow

thanx 4 everyones help, really appreciate it..
My settings were fine... all I did was remove the battery and restart the 9500.. i didnt start the phone and started browsing... this time it worked...

The same problem re-occurred when i started the phone (gsm) from the front face of the 9500 and opened a new browser window... this time i disconnected wlan, exited the browser, switched off the phone (just the gsm cell) by using the off button on the front face.. then reconnected to wlan.. it worked... after this, i also restarted the gsm phone and the wlan kept working fine....
im using easy wlan, and also a static ip AP i created, both work fine now... no new settings.... will investigate further and try to see when and how wlan stops to resolve names..

thanx all...

Old 21-03-2005, 12:33 PM

TheJoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
thanx 4 everyones help, really appreciate it..
My settings were fine... all I did was remove the battery and restart the 9500.. i didnt start the phone and started browsing... this time it worked...

The same problem re-occurred when i started the phone (gsm) from the front face of the 9500 and opened a new browser window... this time i disconnected wlan, exited the browser, switched off the phone (just the gsm cell) by using the off button on the front face.. then reconnected to wlan.. it worked... after this, i also restarted the gsm phone and the wlan kept working fine....
im using easy wlan, and also a static ip AP i created, both work fine now... no new settings.... will investigate further and try to see when and how wlan stops to resolve names..

thanx all...

I've also had problems with no DNS (see thread about connecting to AdHoc Wireless Network)... I'll try to reboot... :P