All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60)

Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM

Starchild is on a distinguished road
Desperate for a solution (E51 and the Apple Wireless Keyboard)

Hi there..

My mobile phone is Nokia e51, hacked firmware.
A few months ago I bought the apple wireless keyboard for my Vista pc. It works flawlessly and I love it.

I realized since it's bluetooth it should work with my phone as well. So I went over to the official nokia webpage and grabbed the wireless keyboard driver. I paired the keyboard with my e51, seems to be working great, except for one, big issue:

The output language is always English, regardless what the phone's layout is. It could be Russian, Italian, Swedish, but when I type from the keyboad it's just always English.

I'm seeking high and low for a solution for this problem, so I can type in Hebrew when I'm on the go. This will allow me to do so many things that I just can't do right now.

I guess what we're talking about here is a compatibility issue, probably because the wireless keyboard driver is meant to work with the Nokia keyboard, not the apple ones. Also, when I try to access 'Settings' through the driver, the app closes instantly and the keyboard is disconnected. No damage, of course.

The way I see it there are 2 possible solutions:

A modified keyboard driver that will fix this problem.

The more complex, though promising one:

An app that can be installed and executed on the phone itself which will convert the letters from English to Hebrew, accordingly. Basically like a Keymapper app. I tried MagicKey, but I cant choose letters there, just some functions.

If you have an adequate knowledge in Symbian programming and might be able to somehow find a fix for this problem, I'd be really gratful for your help, some sort of a reward is promised

A second option would be to give me some guidance on how to develop such app for a symbian s60 3rd ed. based phone. I have a significant Java experience/knowledge so maybe I can create the app. Though I have only written scripts in the past - not GUI apps nor apps for Symbian/j2me.

Thanks alot for viewing..

Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Starchild is on a distinguished road
Bumping. please help me with this one, I really need this.
Ads