All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight Special - Ovi Store launch day

In a special edition of AAS Insight, recorded on the launch day of the Ovi Store, Rafe, Ewan and Steve share their first thoughts on Nokia's content shop. We talk about some of the initial connectivity and load problems (but try not to dwell on them), the usability of the Ovi Store on-device client. We conclude, after kicking the store while it's down (literally), by sharing some of our positive impressions.

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
great to put up your thoughts so quickly. Would you please make it available as downloadable mp3 like your other podcasts, though?

Thanks in advance, Nemoi

Old 26-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Now added - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/media...ht_Special.php

These are straight off impressions, so not as polished as we would like. We'll be talking more about this in the podcast after next.

For example I've had more of a play with Ovi Store on S60 5th Edition and overall the client experience is better IMHO. The extra screen real estate helps as does touch.... sort of suspect widget was designed with touch primary.

Old 26-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
I wondered at that too. I think Rafe got carried away with the acronym! 8-) PS. It rhymes with 'Right Back At 'Ya' ....

Old 26-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

Where is the 20,000 items Nokia promised would be available at launch? Even if you select all devices they are hugely off 20,000.

I agree with the podcast, I think this will go just like both N-Gage's before have gone and flop. Nokia needs to address the core problem first which is the SDK is poor. They need to also get developers interested in the platform again because they've probably lost most of them to the iPhone.

An App Store without apps isn't much of a store. Filling it with Java junk doesn't help either (Yes I know Java as a language is not to blame but the fact that Java apps are written for the most feeble of handsets is what lets them down on higher end devices).

This is yet another epic fail by Nokia.

Old 26-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
>>An App Store without apps isn't much of a store. Filling it with Java junk doesn't help either (Yes I know Java as a language is not to blame but the fact that Java apps are written for the most feeble of handsets is what lets them down on higher end devices).

Exactly. This is what I was trying to get at in the podcast. Java apps can be quite good, but even the best of them usually offers a significantly worse experience than average S60 native apps. People will see all those games, go 'Ooh', start buying a few and then seeing that they're by and large a load of lowest-common-denominator rubbish.... 8-(

If I were Ovi Store's manager, I'd have made sure that the S60 games by Epocware, Celeris, Herocraft (and others) were all listed UP FRONT in the Games section. Never mind the Java rubbish.

Old 26-05-2009, 07:34 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
wow, I was amazed at the critical reception just the roll out received from you guys. I had downloaded the Ovi Store beforehand (without having a chance to try it out) so thought that was a little harsh.

But after an hour trying the application out... Oh my god, what a clunky, slow, sorry excuse for a store. I've nothing else to say that hasn't already been said but what were they thinking? This isn't even beta quality...

The roll out, the application, the content... What strategy is Nokia playing with all of this? Is there a strategy beyond pure desperation to get a store up and running?

The only good thing - Rafe, Steve and Ewan reacting as it happened, live reporting, gut reactions - loved it all! More of it guys - I was always taught that your first reaction can often be the right reaction!

Old 26-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Unregistered

So sad

Hi

This is a sad joke of a service. It will be more stable when the interest dies out and it will since without a good OS and programming API no real good application will be made quickly. Hence no content, no load on the system so better QOS to nothing.

This is what happens to companies that are just me also copycat. Same as with the MS search services.

Now what do you think the number of request and downloads are in the OVI store today compared to the iPhone app store? My guess is 1/1000 to 1/10.000. The web version looks so poor and the navigation is when it works braindead.

Nokia has no strategy, just playing catchup to Apple. All the complaints about the iPhone are missing functionality that to most part comes in 3.0. Anyone with just a little IT experience knows that you don't win on functionality but but on all the non functional features:

1. That what you have works
2. Easy to develop to the platform.
3. Secury.
4. Fast
5. Easy to use.

Nokia is 3-5 years behind before it has the OS and development tools and its own ideas.
Nokia was first at implementing a good simple and consistent monocrome interface for basic phones and has behind ever since. COlor screens, camera phones, smart phones...

/Regards

Old 26-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Like I said in the other thread: Ovi store is just glorified Download! with same c**p content we've seen in many other places. Why would anyone pay $ for the trash they're offering is beyond me.

Did I mention that it's cumbersome and sluggish?

Chalk it up to another Nokia failure, together with Comes With Music, Maps, and all the other c**p.

But of course after herds of fanboys download their stupid ringtones Nokia will rave what great success the Ovi store is !

Get your act together Nokia. Pathetic.

Last edited by Arthur; 26-05-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Old 26-05-2009, 09:11 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
In the end the _only_ thing that matters is whether its a commercial success and makes Nokia sell more handsets. So, for example, one should remember that probably 80% of Nokia phones sold to date and every day are S40s.. putting Java apps out there prominently sort of makes sense, no? Or am I missing something (yes, I know, mind share, halo effect, you cannot be a success unless you cater for the early adopter and high end users etc etc etc. but still)?

Old 26-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Founder / Chief

viipottaja - you are spot on. I never got round to saying this as we going for instant reaction, As I've said in previous podcast - if you take a slightly cynical view Ovi Store is about selling ring tones and wallpaper (plus the odd game) on lower end handsets (Series 40 and some S60). That's where the numbers are.

People should also remember that 99% of people who will use Ovi Store haven't even heard of it yet. First impressions do matter and Nokia should have done better, but as you say its the long term that matters. Actually in the financials that matter long term.

The service is now running faster which is good, but this does not solve some of the client issues. Categories being hidden on the Options menu (and to add insult to injury its at the bottom) is something I find especially annoying.

Old 26-05-2009, 09:33 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
haha my status loading bar moves from right to left as well steve, so you're not alone! very strange.

Old 26-05-2009, 09:34 PM

twinpeaked is on a distinguished road
Well the comparisons with the apple store came up alot, and rightly so.

I don't know about everybody else here, but the "New American" strategy found with the iPhone and the Pre is starting to look mighty tempting.

The single model with direct app store compatibility and massive 3rd party hardware market seems a lot more tempting than struggling to get apps on my N85 and using the "grey" goods and retailers to expand the phone's hardware.

Yes the cameras aren't as good, and there is limited functionality, but i would rather use the iPhone, tame the mobile internet and internet comms and hit a functionality wall than barely struggle to use 20% of my n85. and the ovi store doesn't help this situation.

I will be buying an iPod touch after wwdc to keep my fingers in the pie of another O/s and train my use of a highly internet enabled device.

My contract ends just after the americans will refresh in 2010.....Nokia have got a year.

p.s. please don't think i'm trolling, I'm just feeling a bit let down by ovi store :(

Old 26-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Unregistered

viipottaja - you are spot on. I never got round to saying this as we going for instant reaction, As I've said in previous podcast - if you take a slightly cynical view Ovi Store is about selling ring tones and wallpaper (plus the odd game) on lower end handsets (Series 40 and some S60). That's where the numbers are.

Right but if it's about promoting Java applications and catering for S40 then the few developers who don't jump ship to iPhone (If they haven't already), Android and maybe even Web OS will also write apps for the largest market which is using the lowest Nokia models as a base line. This will leave the Ovi Store with a poor collection of rubbish Java applications.

And without good native applications S60 will actually be brought down to being no different really than other phones which run feature phone OS's with Java apps. Yes it could run native apps.... but it doesn't because they are all Java apps instead.

People are coming around to running applications and games on their smartphones thanks to the iPhone but the catch is that they then might notice that compared to the iPhone, Nokia's applications and games aren't a patch on what developers offer on the Apple platform. It's going to hurt Nokia in the smartphone segment a lot.

Old 27-05-2009, 02:31 AM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
OVI STORE RIP OFF ALERT !

Nokia wants you to pay 5 euros for "Shozu"... Did Nokia forget it's free on Shozu site??

So I would avoid Ovi Store unless you like to waste money on stuff that's free elsewhere.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING about Ovi store so far is a complete FAIL. Stupid name... charging for free apps... poor execution... Shall I go on? Only the hardcore fanboys will defend it.

Last edited by Arthur; 27-05-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Ads