All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 AM

Lost in Isaan is on a distinguished road
New 5800 3 Questions

I have 3 problems with my new 5800.

1. Even though it appears to be in sleep mode the battery is only lasting less than 8 hours after a full charge. No non essentials applications running and I toggle the key before putting the phone to bed. In the morning it's dead.

2. On an incoming call I touch the green 'Answer' band the phone stops ringing but I have to push the green button to start the conversation. 2 actions! Is this normal?

3. I have downloaded and installed Nokia Maps and even though I'm currently in Thailand I wanted to load Australia. Well I finished up cleaning out the CITIES folder and had nothing. Just as well I had backed up the entire Memory Module and was able to recover. Question:- How do I initiate the maps package so as it does not delete the data base and just lets me add a country?

Thank you

Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 AM

robmeik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Isaan View Post

1. Even though it appears to be in sleep mode the battery is only lasting less than 8 hours after a full charge. No non essentials applications running and I toggle the key before putting the phone to bed. In the morning it's dead.

2. On an incoming call I touch the green 'Answer' band the phone stops ringing but I have to push the green button to start the conversation. 2 actions! Is this normal?

3. I have downloaded and installed Nokia Maps and even though I'm currently in Thailand I wanted to load Australia. Well I finished up cleaning out the CITIES folder and had nothing. Just as well I had backed up the entire Memory Module and was able to recover. Question:- How do I initiate the maps package so as it does not delete the data base and just lets me add a country?

Thank you
I suggest that you may have a faulty phone!! Have you updated firmware to the latest v50? I suggest you also do a backup, "hard reset" and then restore to see if that helps sort things out.

Connecting via PC Suite or OVI Suite and then going to the "maps" menu should help in sorting out the maps issue.

Hope that helps!

Old 13-05-2010, 02:14 AM

jj71 is on a distinguished road
1. Press and hold the white key until the "open applications" display pops up, just to be sure there are only two logos there (home and menu). If as you say there are no other apps open and the battery only lasts 8 hours, the issue may be the phone or the battery or the charger.

Solutions in logical order:
a. Borrow a battery and charger from a friend to investigate.
b. Return the whole lot to the shop.
c. If b not possible, buy a battery (and then a charger if need be) cheap from ebay.

2. You have to do a swiping motion on the green band, not a tap. The graphic is sliding across to signify this. It only needs that one movement, not the green button also.

3. No idea on 3, sorry.

Old 14-05-2010, 05:21 AM

Lost in Isaan is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your response guy's. Yes the battery charger, I was too lazy to unpack the new one that came with the 5800 using an older one from my last phone. Using the new charger fixed that and I only have the 2 icons (applications) running.

Still perplexed about the maps thingy but it's not a big deal as I carry a GPS around with me anyway.
Ads

Old 17-05-2010, 07:40 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Isaan View Post

Thank you
Hi.

1. Check the call log and see if there's any data traffic, e.g. maybe email check is enabled. Even if you kill the main app, there are tasks which run on background without being visible to the user.
2. You need to slide the band, not just press it.
3. Use Nokia Map Loader to add countries.