All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-11-2008, 04:14 PM

GDavids is on a distinguished road
Ever considered switching to Blackberry (or back)?

Hi everyone,

I am very close to buying a new Eseries device, namely the E66. I have used the Nokia E61 for quite some time now and I have never used a more pleasant platfrom than S60. Neither UIQ 3.0 nor WM 5.0 PPCPE really convinced me.

However, I cannot restrain that the Blackberry Bold 9000 somehow grabs my attention. Consciously, my decision disregards form factor: Whereas the E71 would not offer me much advantage over the E66 software-wise and the E66 is simply more pocketable, the BB Bold simply sounds interesting because I have never had a RIM platform device before. In addition, the BB Bold represents one of the most modern versions of the RIM platform. (I am not interested in a touchscreen device such as the BB Storm.)

To be honest, it all comes down to spending roughly 300 euros on a close to perfect S60 device (where I know what I get) or roughly 400 euros on satisfying my childish curiosity in the form of a BB Bold.

As you all are very professional users of S60 devices, have you ever thought about switching to a RIM device? Have you done it? Regret it? Would do it again?

Or have you switched from RIM to an Eseries device?

Any ideas of what your experiences are would be highly welcome. I look forward to your responses!

Old 10-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
The E66 is an absolutly brilliant little device. Its the most well built smartphone I have come across.

I haven't ever used a RIM device, and probably never will due to the software available for Symbian.

Also, they are the only devices which offer me the convergance I need - GPS, good camera with flash, etc.

The one and only complaint about the E66 is the noise in pictures taken in low light.

In theory, this could be addressed with a firmware upgrade.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
The E66 is an absolutly brilliant little device. Its the most well built smartphone I have come across.

I haven't ever used a RIM device, and probably never will due to the software available for Symbian.

Also, they are the only devices which offer me the convergance I need - GPS, good camera with flash, etc.

The one and only complaint about the E66 is the noise in pictures taken in low light.

In theory, this could be addressed with a firmware upgrade.
I agree fully, but for the E71, in fact i am almost tempted to get an E66 as well, to replace my N82

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
I will never switch to another OS since Symbian is the best.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 AM

Jan673 is on a distinguished road
I have had, Symbian 80, Palm, Symbian 60v1, Balckberry and now the latest Symbian 60. If you go for Blackberry you will be disappointed. Everything a Blackberry can do a Symbian can do better. The only thing a blackberry has that a Symbian doesnít is a small amount of snob value.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Berty is on a distinguished road
If it's not broken don't fix it is what I say.
Ads

Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks to everyone, I will probably yield to reason and stay with S60. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan673 View Post
Everything a Blackberry can do a Symbian can do better. The only thing a blackberry has that a Symbian doesnít is a small amount of snob value.
That is exactly the experience I would prefer not to get after having spend 400 euros. However, it is exactly what I experienced with UIQ 3.0 (500 euros) and WM5.0 (1 euro). Promising on paper but - I apologize - crap when using it for my purposes.

And little by little, I do not know in which field a BB should surprise my positively. RIM's Push-Mail sure is nice but it seems to lack distinct features when not using it in a corporate environment. For example, it does not seem to be clear at all that you receive you e-mails in "real-time" when you are not using it with the corporate server-side software ("BES"). The network operator hosted RIM server then simply downloads e-mails from your mailbox every 15 minutes to "push" them to your device. (However, with some IMAP mailboxes the server can use IMAP idle.)

Then, the BB Bold has WLAN and GPS, too. But GPS seems to be much more limited than it is on S60. And who knows about the range of applications for Blackberry. S60 has been around for so long that there are simply a lot of tools which help a lot.

In addition, the most critical point for me is a reliable synchronisation with Outlook. S60 has some limitations there, however, I know already what I can expect and what not.

To summarise, I get the impression to be far more flexible and "in control" with a S60 device then.

I knew why I gave a S60 forum audience the chance to push me away from S60. You did a perfect job. Thanks again!

Old 15-11-2008, 09:34 AM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
Ahhha it sounds like I'm too late... heh - but here goes.

The longest I've used a BlackBerry device is the 8300 Curve for six months. This is the no-frills model (GSM, EDGE, Bluetooth, nothing else), hooked up to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

And I have to say, for few-frills, fast, reliable corporate email, the BlackBerry is a very effective tool. The Curve and Pearl also work as good 'phones too, with decent radios, good voice control and good battery life.

They're fiddly to set up if you want to tinker beyond how it arrives but in use, work really well. Remembering that BlackBerry devices are designed for people who are too important to remember how to do complicated things like plug it in to charge or push more than four keys to send an email. A slight but only slight exaggeration going on many of the executives at my workplace!

The Bold is kinda more of the same... that isn't a bad thing.

BlackBerry devices work "okay" off the BES infrastructure but don't have the same advantages - which are being steadily eroded by Microsoft Active Sync / Exchange / Outlook Web Access functionality.

I gave my Curve back to work and bought a Treo 680, but we've just updated to Exchange 2007 and the Treo isn't compatible so I needed to upgrade.

I narrowed my shortlist down to the BlackBerry Bold, the Treo Pro and the Nokia E71. I figured that all of these three devices could do what I needed and what I wanted too. Ultimately, I went for the new operating system to me (since my Psion 5mx, heh); the Nokia E71.

Day three is just starting...

Old 15-11-2008, 08:42 PM

RadicalSatDude is on a distinguished road
Blackberry bold outter body and keyboard with Nokia hardware and Symbian would be cool.

Old 19-11-2008, 02:59 PM

So, I was in London over the weekend - and I could have a look at the BB Bold and the BB Storm.

Whereas the Storm seemed terribly slow to me (however it could have also simply needed a restart), the Bold was quite impressive. Especially the display is extremely nice.

Still, the e-mail functionality of S60 is fine for my purposes. If I needed to commute, I would definitely buy the bold - simply to watch favourite TV series each morning and evening on its beautiful display.

But I simply don't need to.