All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-10-2006, 06:26 PM

sliberman is on a distinguished road
Unhappy E62 problem: how to send DTMF touchtones for navigating voice mail and other services

I tried using the utterly simplistic info in the E62 User's Guide, where apparently there is no need for examples, only guesswork:

Explanation from the E62 User's Guide:

You can send touch tones during an active call to control your voice mailbox or other automated phone services.

To send a touch tone sequence, make a call, and wait until the other end answers. Select Menu > Options > Send touch tones.
Type the touch tone sequence, or select a predefined sequence.

To attach touch tone sequences to contact cards, select Menu > Addr. Book. Open a contact, and select Options > Edit >
Options > Add detail > Touch tones. Enter the tone sequence. Press p to insert a pause of about 2 seconds before or between
touch tones. Press Done. To set the device to send the touch tones after you select Send touch tones during a call, press w.

In a normal cellphone, such as older Nokia phones, it is possible to select if the touchtone will be short, long or continuos, when pressing the digit key.
But the E62 is not a normal cellphone, does not even have a normal phone keypad, so there is just the inadequate explanation above
on how to send the touchtones.

I have tried, and the voice mail system I am trying to access does not respond to the supposed touchtone key press from either the keyboard
or the address book phone number memory entry.

Is it possible to define the length of the touchtone being transmitted [short/long/continuous] ?
How can I check what is really being transmitted, since the E62 does not play the DTMF touchtones in the audio output?
Is it possible to bypass the cumbersome menu access to send touchtones?

TIA,
Sergio
Ads