All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-12-2008, 06:22 PM

demowayne is on a distinguished road
Wish list for the next update

Quote:
Apparently the new firmware is due sometime next month.
So with this in mind and a few days (weeks for some) use under out belts, what problems have you found that need fixing or suggestions to Nokia for the next update? I'm on 10.0.010 from Hong Kong, You?

I know it won't make a difference, but lets hope Nokia are reading. Maybe if we get a good list going we can mail it to them?

In no particular order.....

-Word suggestions/auto completion, this would not only speed up text entry but help my rubbish spelling.
-More 'Home Screen' options. The ability to add info like - more lines of apps/links, contact short cuts (just the icon and to the shortcuts bar), message/mail status including M4E, upcoming appointments, rss feeds maybe. Think a cross between the iphone and n95.
-Maps needs landscape mode. (mine doesn't) This would clear more of the screen in my car. I know the antenna would then be at 'the bottom' but i've tried and the reception doesn't seem to be effected.
-Client Mail, allow auto retrieval. The option is there but it wont allow any selection but disabled. (again, could just be mine)
-To tap or to double tap, that is the question! I understand the fact that nokia wants to make 5th edition to be backwards compatable with a D pad but come on, theres just no sense to when you need one or two. I think i'm getting there and then one will catch me out. If this is aimed at the masses how will non s60 geeks get on!?
-Easier transition between Camera and video. I think pressing the camera icon in the top left corner and have it switch to video would make sense and be intuitive.
-Java app with touch enabled? Lets have the option to turn off the touch D pad. (gmail app for example, touch works fine yet its still squashed up into half the screen. Other apps still need the D pad)
-Ability to adjust the ASR, when i'm viewing in landscape, the slightest movement starts off a 'rotation' and then back again. Adjust the angle at witch it rotates maybe?

Its not all bad though, in general i'm really happy with the 5800 and there are some fantastic things too.

I'll add more as i think of them, any other updates/suggestions?

Old 25-12-2008, 07:49 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by demowayne View Post
To tap or to double tap, that is the question! I understand the fact that nokia wants to make 5th edition to be backwards compatable with a D pad but come on, theres just no sense to when you need one or two.
It's always a single tap. However, in lists where the items are selectable, you need to tap on the item you want to select it first.
So, if you have a list, and the item you want to open is already highlighted, a single tap will open it. If the item is not highlighted, you need to tap on it to highlight it; then, you tap on it to open it. It's very consistent, albeit not very intuitive for one who approaches the interface for the first time. It took me a couple of days for me to get used to it, but now that I have it feels completely natural.

I hope this helps.

Old 28-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Hi rvirga, I get thats the idea but heres an example of that not being the case.

In the menu page most icons need only one press, the apps icon on the other hand need two presses the first time you use it then only one press the next time. Strange, its like once its cashed it doesn't need that second press.

Anyone else have that or is it just me?

Old 29-12-2008, 11:37 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I've just checked - I even rebooted my phone to be sure it wasn't "cached". On my phone, the apps icon requires only one tap to open, like all the other icons in the menu. Maybe what you're seeing on your phone is just one of the many bugs that currently plague the 5800. The icons in the menu are not selectable, thus they shouldn't require a double tap.
As much as I would like all the improvements you mentioned, for this v11 fw upgrade I would actually prefer if they just fixed most, and possibly all, outstanding bugs. Adding new features and/or improvements to existing ones usually introduce new bugs, and I feel my plate is full as it is. First and foremost, right now I want reliability. Once they achieve that, they can start adding new stuff .

Old 30-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Looks like i have a bug then and I cant see it mentioned in the v11 changelog. Bugger.

I agree though, bugs first please I'm looking forward to v11 just to stop the ASR going off every time I make so much as a blink!
Ads

Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM

simpleatsh is on a distinguished road
DO the AutoScreenRotation 1st, Please!!

Please solve the auto screen rotation problem 1st, the sensor is over sensitively tuned which mis-react to every small shake of my hand.

As an early adopter of the 5800, I can stand the short battery life, the incompatibility with most (if not every single) software I loved. I can take the camera without geo-tagging, the instability which cause opera-mini to crash every 10mins.....But i cannot take the ASR anymore...

I like the idea of screen rotation though, i liked it ever since it was introduced on palm os years ago, it is very helpful in many case. maybe nokia should add a Manual-Screen-Rotation command to all the option menus, then i can get the screen rotation function while turning ASD off.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM

agreed, the ASR is really anoying BUT it is addressed in v11. Its just a shame v11 has been leaked but isn't avalable yet.