All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM

seanys is on a distinguished road
Angry WTF is opening a packet data connection?!

I've taken my 5800 out of the box, charged it and turned it on and it's showing a Packet Data connection (the left/right arrows beneath signal strength).

Nothing's running, what's opened a connection?

I've deleted all network connections and it's still attempting to open a connection (the arrows still show but are dashed).

My data plan is tiny and I'm not happy about something I haven't specifically allowed sucking up my allowance.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM

tulloch is on a distinguished road
Is this a branded handset? A non-branded hanset certainly should not be opening a connection as you say. However, if it is branded the network operator may have installed an application that is connecting.

The dotted lines indicate the "always on" state. You can change that to "When Needed" in Connectivity/Admin settings/Packet Data.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM

mafty is on a distinguished road
Time settings?

Bit of a long shot, but it wouldn't be the clock setting itself would it - can't remember the exact setting as my phone is off for repair, but I'm sure you can set the phone to update the clock via the operator, so the clock is always accurate.

Like I said, bit of a long shot but worth a look....

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Phone history 3310-3330-3410-3510-8210-8310-7110-6310i-N95-5800XM

Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Got mine set to do that and it does not behave in the manner described.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 AM

@ tulloch: It is a branded handset, 3 Australia. They have no clue what's doing it. I set 'When Needed' and the icon disappeared briefly then reappeared.

@ mafty: the clock 'Automatic Time Update' is set to 'off', was worth a look tho.

Thx for the replies.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 AM

As it's branded the provider should take responsibility. Noted that it is Australian and your location is UK. Perhaps that would be a problem re getting CS? There are apps. that can monitor what's going on for you, not sure if any are available for the 5800 yet. Perhaps someone else will be able to guide you on that.
Ads

Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Turns out the solution is to delete the original connection and recreate it. Then it won't default to 'always on' which is, apparently, how the phone is supposed to operate. Too bad for those of us on tiny data allowances.

The greyed out appearance of the packet data connection indicator shows HSDPA is available.

@ tulloch: I am in Australia and, yes 3 fixed it, if only accidentally, by helping me recreate the connection

Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Always on or "When available" to use the phone terminology should not be establishing a packet data connnection unless requested to do so by an application. It should just mean that when you need to connect, you get up an running faster.

With this setting the connection icon under the signal strength meter should be dotted and remain so until a connection is requested and established. Then we get solid lines. Change to "When needed" and there is no icon under the signal meter until you request a connection.

HSPDA availability is indicated here by a "3.5g" icon under the signal meter. Is it different in Australia?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulloch View Post
Always on or "When available" to use the phone terminology should not be establishing a packet data connnection unless requested to do so by an application.
Absolutely but it seems 3's connection setup is forced to always on. I suspect they're trying to screw more money out of their less aware customers.

Edit: yep, other 3 customers are complaining about this too... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1173791

Quote:
Change to "When needed" and there is no icon under the signal meter until you request a connection.
Ok, I'll have to try that with the recreated connection. I didn't check it when I did it as I was so happy to not have it automatically connecting.

Quote:
HSPDA availability is indicated here by a "3.5g" icon under the signal meter. Is it different in Australia?
Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, that looks like how it works here. 3 customer service probably got that wrong. I may not have described the state of the screen accurately given how hard I was trying to not swear / scream / punch something.

Last edited by seanys; 03-04-2009 at 02:10 AM.