All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-01-2003, 02:39 PM

cgo is on a distinguished road
Higher rating battery can damage phone???

I was told that a higher rating (like 1200mAH) battery can actually damage the phone (the ic's). Is this true?

Old 25-01-2003, 05:14 PM

tiger42 is on a distinguished road
That's complete bullsh... As long as the voltage is the same (and it always is with Li-Ion batterys - that's physics...) you can use whatever battery you like.

Old 25-01-2003, 05:53 PM

Zippy172 is on a distinguished road
Re: Higher rating battery can damage phone???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgo
I was told that a higher rating (like 1200mAH) battery can actually damage the phone (the ic's). Is this true?
Nope, it's false... The only benefit you'll get from running a 1.2Ah battery is that your phone will last longer between charges

Having said that, it must be physically larger, so , you might have to "damage" your battery cover so it fits?

Old 26-01-2003, 04:03 AM

some ppl just told me that using non-Nokia product is not advisable....

This make me worry a bit.... What do you guys think? Should i stay conservative?

I really need a higher capacity battery and for some reason nokia did not release one...

Any comments?

Old 26-01-2003, 06:36 AM

crypto is on a distinguished road
cgo

Cgo

Stick to the original stuff, it's not worth risking your phone. I for once have made a serious thought of getting a highers amped battery but with my above average usage calls=10-15mins. my phone could last 3 and a half days between charges.

You Don't Like My Posts, You Can Go FU%K Yourself.
Ads

Old 26-01-2003, 08:07 AM

is it really possible for the battery to damage the phone? I need some technical explanations.

Old 26-01-2003, 08:43 AM

crypto is on a distinguished road
Not 100% Sure

Although I am not 100% sure, I would only do it if there is some credible technical information and a redible source for me would be from Nokia itself. If it is an original brand 1200mah battery then it's probably ok, but if it's another brand I would not risk it (and that's only me)

You Don't Like My Posts, You Can Go FU%K Yourself.

Old 26-01-2003, 12:07 PM

Let me try and allay<sp?> your fears....

The higher capacity Li-Ion battery will do only one thing to your phone, extend it's ON time between charges...

The charging cicrcuitry within the phone is fixed at a certain charge rate, so a higher capacity battery will take longer to charge (BLB-2 is 850mAh capacity and takes 3 hours to charge) as the current is quite low. Big deal? If it takes 5 hours to charge, at least you get a longer running time. :fadein:

ALL Li-Ion cells have protection circuits attached to them (don't believe me? open the plastic casework of an old one) by the manufacturers of the cell (Sony, Panasonic, Maxell, Warley to name but a few) so that incorrect charging/discharging of the cell doesn't damage the Li-Ion cell...you cannot buy Li-Ion cells direct from the manufacturer without these protection devices (usually high power schottky diodes and current limiting resistors on a teenie weenie lil PCB)

I'm doing a LOT of work on this subject on a project in work (http://www.lion-breath.com) where we are integrating Li-Ion cells into our breathalysers... You'd be amazed how resilient Li-Ion cells really are, so long as the charger is a "constant current - constant voltage" type that determines end of charge by a slight current dip towards the end of the charge, all is well. Do you *seriously* think the boffs at Nokia would put a charging circuit in the phone incapable of charging Li-Ion cells correctly?

As I said before, the only downside to fitting a larger battery would be the time it takes to charge due to the limitations of the original battery. Without looking into it further, I'd say the charging current is around 300mA for a 3 hour charge. 1.2Ah would between 4 and 5 hours to charge, depending on cell state.

HTH

Old 27-01-2003, 01:55 PM

thx zippy....now i am settled

Old 27-01-2003, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgo
thx zippy....now i am settled
You're welcome

Old 27-01-2003, 03:24 PM

pidz111 is on a distinguished road
zip,

Now that were talking about batts, how about chargers? are there dangers in using non-nokia chargerS? how about car chargers? pls explain more and also, whats the bigest amps dat is in the market which is safe and could be used with 7650s? im using a 950ma. is there such thing as 1200?

Old 27-01-2003, 03:24 PM

eckrall is on a distinguished road
Your right, I have a 1.2 and have had no problems with it or my phone, but it does take A LOT longer to charge than a normal one, but it also lasts A LOT longer than an orignal one. I stumbled across a site that sold a 1.2 batt and a duel charger in the UK for around £25 I think, let me know if you interested

Eck

Old 27-01-2003, 03:30 PM

pidz111 is on a distinguished road
are you having problem closing the cover of the bat? whats the brand of the batt? ill think about it... thanks . is there any danger if i keep on changing my batt? like the metal contaks will break or somethins?

Old 27-01-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidz111
zip,

Now that were talking about batts, how about chargers? are there dangers in using non-nokia chargerS? how about car chargers? pls explain more and also, whats the bigest amps dat is in the market which is safe and could be used with 7650s? im using a 950ma. is there such thing as 1200?
The plug top "charger" is infact merely a regulated switch mode power supply.. it does nothing more than provide a stable power source to the phone. The charging circuitry is actually IN the phone... Therefore, you will not see any advantage in getting a higher power plug top supply...the charging current is determined by the phone charging circuitry, not the plug top power supply (although it does need to provide at least the maximum charge current as a minimum spec)

It's probably the biggest misnomer I know of to think that the thing you actually plug into your electrical mains socket is a charger.... Same goes for the 12V cigar lighter "in car chargers"... again they are merely switch mode power supplies that drop the 12V in your car to something in the range of 6 to 7.5V...

HTH

Old 27-01-2003, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidz111
are you having problem closing the cover of the bat? whats the brand of the batt? ill think about it... thanks . is there any danger if i keep on changing my batt? like the metal contaks will break or somethins?
I'd advise against continually swapping out the battery to replace exhausted ones with fully charged.. Not because of the gold plated spring contacts, they'd probably be okay.. it's more to do with the plastic casework being worn away.. The ABS/PC (PC being Polycarbonate) blended plastic isn't really up to repeated abrasive contact... Eventually over time the plastic wears away and you end up with a sloppy battery in the compartment...

If you look at some of my other threads you will note that I actually have a piece of chopped up credit card (from my spend-thrift days, not any more!!) wedged in between the case and battery to *ensure* there is good contact between the battery and contacts...

Other than keeping a spare battery charged, I can't think of any other reason you'd want/need to continually take the battery out...

Incidentally, if you do keep a spare Li-Ion battery "charged" for those emergency moments... bear in mind you have a self-discharge rate to contend with... depending on how long you leave it between charges, when you next come to use your emergency battery, it may well be dead too

HTH