All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-08-2007, 10:34 AM

JethroTul is on a distinguished road
New user of a n95

Hi fellow members.

Yesterday I managed to buy a nokia n95. Unfortunately I got it second hand ( 1 month old) and the guy only gave me the mobile phone and charger so am missing the CD and cables.... what do I need exactly ? Usb cable I had from another mobile phone and works OK and nokia PC suite and software updater downloaded them as well so most probably am missing only the headphones.

I had yesterday to change the code since it was on software 11 and did not get the update 12 so had to change the code with NSS.

I seem not to find the maps...though after installation of software 12.

my questions are :

Can I have both nokia GPS software and route66 at the same time installed ?

How can I get skype to work on the n95 ?

Since I work abroad that is in Tripoli ( Libya ) with an Oil and Gas company what suggestions do you have for GPS ?

Thanks for all the help

Old 24-08-2007, 01:34 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer quick drunken answer ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroTul View Post
Hi fellow members.

Yesterday I managed to buy a nokia n95. Unfortunately I got it second hand ( 1 month old) and the guy only gave me the mobile phone and charger so am missing the CD and cables.... what do I need exactly ? Usb cable I had from another mobile phone and works OK and nokia PC suite and software updater downloaded them as well so most probably am missing only the headphones.

I had yesterday to change the code since it was on software 11 and did not get the update 12 so had to change the code with NSS.

my questions are :

Since I work abroad that is in Tripoli ( Libya ) with an Oil and Gas company what suggestions do you have for GPS ?

Thanks for all the help
Nokia GPS and Route66 .. together yeah

Skype = fring .. download from fring.com .. bonus you get googletalk and MSN and a couple of others in the same package .. works well .. no video chat though

GPS ought to work pretty well .. you might struggle in some of your environments but if you see open sky .. it ought to work. A-GPS .. might be a bit useless way out on a platform - unless you have some mobile equipment installed.

you probably need to search this forum for the new maps version.

And yeah any decent headphones would be a good move.

Old 24-08-2007, 02:07 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
1) Yes, you can have as many GPS apps installed as you like. You can even run them at once too if you really feel the need!

2) There is no skype client for the N series yet but you can use Truphone or Fring (I find truphone a bit less 'heavy')

3) Make sure you update your firmware to version 12 as this adds assisted-GPS which will get you a GPS fix in seconds when you have a reasonable view of the sky. Needless to say, geograhical location makes little difference to GPS (since they are satellites) but it is affected by tall buildings etc which can block the signal

Old 24-08-2007, 02:27 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
truphone is the best skype type thingy ive used quite a nice simpl.e efective program :-)

use nokia map loader to upload the maps you need its much quicker and cheaper :-)

you can buy the original n95 headphone remote of ebay for roughly 10 pounds :-) then just plug in your favourite headphones :-) as if you just use your headphones you wont have a mic the remote has a mic built in as well :-) nice 1

Old 24-08-2007, 02:35 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
the remote has a mic built in as well :-) nice 1
OMG, I totally didn't realise that! I have been using my headphones straight into the socket too avoid having too much wire but this meant I had to talk into the phone even though the caller came through the headphones. It made me look like I was using a star trek communicator or something! Not cool on a busy street!

Old 24-08-2007, 03:58 PM

thanks for the advices

installed frings

as regards to nokia map loader and route66 though have some problems since software is not finding my phone connected via usb...though I can upload sis files easily thru my pc...strange eh ?

Old 24-08-2007, 04:24 PM

sorted as well had to use mass storage on n95

Old 24-08-2007, 11:49 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer hehe .. the usual rtfm

doesn't apply since you don't have one .. well sorted!!

I'm a big fan of the Dell Bluetooth Keyboard .. works flawlessly with the n95 .. so if you're picking up a few bits and bobs for it .. grab one of those too.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM

toronto is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroTul View Post
Hi fellow members.

my questions are :

Thanks for all the help
Go to nokia map loader on the net and download the maps for your choice of countries. Now when you run maps, your location will be on the right map.
Toronto
Ads