All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Preview of new Ovi Store client for the Nokia N8

During its N8 developer event, which took place in London yesterday, Nokia demonstrated some of the key features of their upcoming Symbian^3 handset. This included, for the first time on a real device, a preview of the new Ovi Store client. The new Ovi Store client is written in Qt, which offers a significant performance improvement over earlier WRT-based incarnations, and has been redesigned to make it more attractive and easier to use. Read on for some exclusive images and preview comments.

Read on in the full article.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
umarrnagi

new ovi store client???

guys will the new qt based ovi store client be available for the n97 too when the n8 releases???? Looks pretty slick

Old 04-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Sweet!

Looks really sweet!

Damn, I look forward to get my hands on the N8. The most interesting Nokia device in years!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

Incidentally, WRT performances issues should largely go away with the next release of the browser and accompanying WRT engine (both based on QtWebKit). However, the new version is not expected to be available before the N8 becomes available.

Rafe are you referring to the new web browser coming out? What more do you know about it? Thank you.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
Ah, this sounds much better... if only they include application updates and if only it hadn't taken them about one and a half year to get there. I seriously hope they put Qt in the next n97 firmware upgrade so that those of us who fell for it can enjoy the bright new qt future.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Ovi Store

They realy havent learnt. Why not have the screenshots of the app appear when you open its detail page? Realy Nokia.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Very willing to be corrected (in fact as an N97 owner I very much hope I am) but I don't believe the N97's hardware will be able to cope with the Qt libraries. Hope I'm wrong, fear I'm not.

One of the unmentioned disasters surrounding the unfortunate (rip off) N97 is that with the introduction of S^3 and Qt if it can't run run the Qt libraries and as above I don't think it can (and run other programmes sensibly) then all App development for the N97 has effectively stopped as I would guess 90% new apps will now be written in Qt with S^4 in view.

Orphaned after a year (actually it was ages ago because they can't fix the hardware limitations), just gives us a trade in discount for the N8 or E7 Nokia and we'll go quietly , well I will.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by umarrnagi View Post
guys will the new qt based ovi store client be available for the n97 too when the n8 releases???? Looks pretty slick
There's no information on this. If I had to guess I would say there's a very good chance of it. Afterall Qt will run fine on the older devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Rafe are you referring to the new web browser coming out? What more do you know about it? Thank you.
There's not much to say at this point in time. But yes I am referring to the new browser. It's going to be based on QtWebkit and is a very significant upgrade. One of the advantages of using QtWebit is that we'll get a more up to date version of the WebKit engine (and it will continue to be updated). It should be bang up to date with web standards too (HTML 5, CSS 3 etc.). It will also get a new Javascript engine (should help WRT performance too).

I'll look at doing a separate article on this in due course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoi View Post
Ah, this sounds much better... if only they include application updates and if only it hadn't taken them about one and a half year to get there. I seriously hope they put Qt in the next n97 firmware upgrade so that those of us who fell for it can enjoy the bright new qt future.
Application updates are on the roadmap, although no specific time line has been publicly announced. Clearly though it is something that an app store should support. While not quite basic hygiene, it is close to an essential feature.

Qt won't need to be in firmware. Developers (and Nokia) can use the Smart Installer, which will download and install Qt as necessary (e.g. the Orange Wednesday app uses this).

Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

courtlier 9

@snoFlake: Qt works just fine on the N97, only downside is that it takes a few megs from the C: drive when the Qt libraries are installed.

I have it running on my N97. Have played around with it, since the beta was out.

In terms of speed/performance, it performs more or less like any other native app.

/Henrik...

Old 04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
inept

Comment on N8's browser?

Rafe, when you discuss WRT performance and the fact that the new Qt-based browser won't be out in time to match the N8's launch, are you sort of implying that the N8's browser is poor? Nokia has gone to great lengths to show off all of the N8's strengths while seemingly never showing off the browser at all. The product is due to launch within a couple months, supposedly, and we've never seen the browser demonstrated by anyone as far as I can recall. This is somewhat disconcerting.

Do they intend to launch the device without its true killer app being up to snuff? I appreciate that the 680MHz ARM 11 CPU in the N8 is the fastest (I believe?) Nokia has ever delivered in a Symbian-based device, so that might alleviate some of the issues, but what are we really looking at in terms of the browsing experience?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

Any facility to reboot device if device hangs up?

Is there any facility reboot the device if the device hangs up and power button is unresponsive? This happens with my 5800 and I remove battery and put it back. In N8's case battery can't be removed on the go. How can we reboot in this situation?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Unregistered

Almost everybody who has previewed the N8 has said that the one disappointment has been the browser. Just search online for previews of the device, this is a known quantity. I for one am glad that it is being addressed in a timely manner (purportedly) meaning we don't have to wait until the middle of next year for the update.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Very willing to be corrected (in fact as an N97 owner I very much hope I am) but I don't believe the N97's hardware will be able to cope with the Qt libraries. Hope I'm wrong, fear I'm not.

One of the unmentioned disasters surrounding the unfortunate (rip off) N97 is that with the introduction of S^3 and Qt if it can't run run the Qt libraries and as above I don't think it can (and run other programmes sensibly) then all App development for the N97 has effectively stopped as I would guess 90% new apps will now be written in Qt with S^4 in view.

Orphaned after a year (actually it was ages ago because they can't fix the hardware limitations), just gives us a trade in discount for the N8 or E7 Nokia and we'll go quietly , well I will.
Qt will definitely run on the N97 - I've seen it do so. However there may be an issue with C: drive space. Not sure if the libraries have to be on the C: drive. So that may be a limitation for some (things are better now with Maps etc, in firmware).

I'm not sure everyone else will go quietly

Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is there any facility reboot the device if the device hangs up and power button is unresponsive? This happens with my 5800 and I remove battery and put it back. In N8's case battery can't be removed on the go. How can we reboot in this situation?
You hold down the power key for x seconds - can't remember how long it is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inept View Post
Rafe, when you discuss WRT performance and the fact that the new Qt-based browser won't be out in time to match the N8's launch, are you sort of implying that the N8's browser is poor? Nokia has gone to great lengths to show off all of the N8's strengths while seemingly never showing off the browser at all. The product is due to launch within a couple months, supposedly, and we've never seen the browser demonstrated by anyone as far as I can recall. This is somewhat disconcerting.

Do they intend to launch the device without its true killer app being up to snuff? I appreciate that the 680MHz ARM 11 CPU in the N8 is the fastest (I believe?) Nokia has ever delivered in a Symbian-based device, so that might alleviate some of the issues, but what are we really looking at in terms of the browsing experience?
This is a bit subjective. It the same 7.2 browser currently found in devices like the X6 and E72. This is still decent, but it's not up to the standards of the N900 or high end Android devices in my opinion.

The capacitive screen makes a different (compared to the N97 say) and performance is better because of improved networking and graphics architecture in Symbian^3. The CPU isn't that big an issue when browsing actually, but the graphics co-processor will make a difference.

I've used the browser and would say it is acceptable, but it is good that the new version is on the way. There's no official information on timing, but from what understand it is due in Q4.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

N8

Nokia are really trying to make the N8 there Top Device For Ages,an o.k its been dragging on a bit,but you do not release something that is not completely ready or all you do is give yourself a bad name with the Public,Eldar or Mobile-Review got the First Prototype of the N8 an give it a bad review,so Nokia are really trying Hard to Shut Eldar Up an show him the N8 is a really good Top Class Mobile,the new Browser looks a Good idea from Nokia,Hope we do finally get the N8 released soon
Ads