All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia Nuron - 5230 for T-Mobile USA

Nokia and T-Mobile USA today announced the forthcoming availability of the Nokia Nuron. The Nuron is a T-Mobile customised version of the Nokia 5230 and is termed a 'smartphone for the masses'. It operates on T-Mobile's 3G network and will come pre-loaded with Ovi Store (including operator billing) and Ovi Maps (including worldwide free navigation). It will be one of the cheapest smartphones available in the US market.

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Insane Reindeer is on a distinguished road
Well that seems like a good start. Give people an easy and cheap way into the world of Ovi. The store and the maps inclusion means that, at least at this price point T-Mobile USA seem to have woken up to the fact that they are good things to have on the phone!

But is T-Mobile's 3G coverage any good? Do they suffer from the same problems that blight AT&T's offering?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

This is an excellent move from Nokia, well done. Consumers in the US will increasingly realise that the only reason they are buying iPhones or Androids are for hype and fashion alone - and that they are paying WAY more for that hype and fashion. Of course, people will continue to do so.

But no longer will US consumers be unaware of Nokia's smartphone offerings, or able to claim that Android or iPhone are superior in some way (apart from a fractionally more responsive UI). Indeed this will show that Symbian is a considerably superior mobile OS to it's competitors in many ways. Ovi Store inclusion answers the needs of those seeking apps, and the complaints of developers that they don't have a good route to market (1.5 million downloads a day now, that's well over half a billion a year if growth remained flat!). Ovi Maps Nav simply makes Google Maps Nav look like something of a joke, and blows away all other solutions.

And this isn't even a Symbian^3 handset. When they are released in the States, iPhone and Android are going to get hammered big time, no matter what slight improvements they come out with over the year...

Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM

limestone is on a distinguished road
Nuron

Does "Nuron" rhyme with "Moron" ?
A Conversation with the Nokia design team... (a few months ago in Espo)
Designers: "Hey guys I got this really great idea for a phone for T Mobile in the USA!"
Marketing: "Oh great, tell us about it."
Designers: "Ok first , you take a Nokia 5800, and you make it grey."
Marketing: "Yeah, and?"
Designers: "No , that's it. you make it grey....."

Designers: "Oh and the fact that the buttons on the bottom are colored the same as an Italian flag should appeal to all the mafia types that hang out in New Jersey - Bada Bing!"

End of design meeting.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
I'm now 2 weeks into ownership of the 5230, and overall its possibly the best phone/media device I've ever owned. Previously had N95, N85, video iPod, iPod Touch.

Made the first use of the satnav in anger this morning, and it was absolutely perfect. Better than TomTom or Sygic on earlier Nokias, definitely better than the Navman I owned for a while. Just need a decent car cradle - I hope it'll fit in a cradle designed for the 5800.

Video playback is great (as long you code it well - eRightSofts Super does great). Sound quality is easily as good as an iPod. Browsing using Opera Mobile or Mini is excellent.

The only possible negative is that the Ovi store is a little sluggish compared to the Apple App store.

So the success of this phone in the states will not be down to the device itself - it'll be down to how well its marketed/supported over there.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
PatalumaGuy

Smile Meeting with Carriers in US

- Fat guy: I hate those Fins people, they are so polite and clean, they speak funny.
- Other Fat Guy: We are never going to take their phones, they are so cheap, smart phones for under 50 bucks, are they nuts?
- Even bigger guy: They kick Russian in WWII big time, we never could
- Fat lady: I thinks they were on Germany side in WWII let all hate them
- All: Yea lets hate the Fins and never use their cheap, never failing, hard as rock phones
End of meeting
The meeting lasted 5 minutes and 4 people eat 3 boxes of sugar coated pastry

Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatalumaGuy View Post
- Fat guy: I hate those Fins people, they are so polite and clean, they speak funny.
- Other Fat Guy: We are never going to take their phones, they are so cheap, smart phones for under 50 bucks, are they nuts?
- All: Yea lets hate the Fins and never use their cheap, never failing, hard as rock phones
End of meeting
loooooooooooooooool.....another ugly truth.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatalumaGuy View Post
End of meeting
And the irony would be:

Android -> Linux -> Linus Torvalds -> Suomi !!

So, Finland is actually responsible for the Android OS!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

It's a good start, I guess....but T-Mobile? Really? They have pretty spotty coverage outside of major cities in the U.S. (i.e. the suburbs), and that's putting it kindly.

I would say that their main problem in the U.S., vs. iPhone or Android, will be the lack of basic applications/useability UI for smart phones. Some examples include: lack of integration of local transit (MTA and subway info) with Ovi Maps, in comparison with Google Navigation, and here's a crucial one---a lack of threaded conversations view in their messaging application.

This phone is likely to be picked up by the younger set, and the non-conversation view of messaging will turn many of the text-addicted off. Nokia along with Symbian needs to provide a fix for this, or else, integrate Free iSMS into the phones, out of the box. Most won't be familiar enough with S60v5 to go hunting around in forums for this app on their own.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's a good start, I guess....but T-Mobile? Really? They have pretty spotty coverage outside of major cities in the U.S. (i.e. the suburbs), and that's putting it kindly.

I would say that their main problem in the U.S., vs. iPhone or Android, will be the lack of basic applications/useability UI for smart phones. Some examples include: lack of integration of local transit (MTA and subway info) with Ovi Maps, in comparison with Google Navigation, and here's a crucial one---a lack of threaded conversations view in their messaging application.

This phone is likely to be picked up by the younger set, and the non-conversation view of messaging will turn many of the text-addicted off. Nokia along with Symbian needs to provide a fix for this, or else, integrate Free iSMS into the phones, out of the box. Most won't be familiar enough with S60v5 to go hunting around in forums for this app on their own.
Subway mapping is an interesting idea, and whilst its a nice idea I'm not sure how a satnav can actually work underground. It rarely seems to work inside buildings, so underground it seems highly unlikely to operate. Unless you are meaning being able to give basic directions, such as "get on at this underground station, take route <a> for however many stops".

Threaded conversations were available via the Nokia Conversations on the previous OS releases. For some reason its not yet available on S60v5.

You can view messages in a threaded form against contacts listed on the homescreen contacts bar, but that isn't quite the same.

The range of apps available on Ovi for the 5230 is quite surprising. Weather, note taking, drawing, silly little things (spirit level, seismograph, daily dilbert), and some quite nice games (connect 4, bejewelled twist, ovi maps racing, blockGo, Resco Bubbles, Skyforce reloaded, raging thunder, waveblazer, tower blox).

Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Subway mapping is an interesting idea, and whilst its a nice idea I'm not sure how a satnav can actually work underground. It rarely seems to work inside buildings, so underground it seems highly unlikely to operate. Unless you are meaning being able to give basic directions, such as "get on at this underground station, take route <a> for however many stops".

Threaded conversations were available via the Nokia Conversations on the previous OS releases. For some reason its not yet available on S60v5.

You can view messages in a threaded form against contacts listed on the homescreen contacts bar, but that isn't quite the same.

The range of apps available on Ovi for the 5230 is quite surprising. Weather, note taking, drawing, silly little things (spirit level, seismograph, daily dilbert), and some quite nice games (connect 4, bejewelled twist, ovi maps racing, blockGo, Resco Bubbles, Skyforce reloaded, raging thunder, waveblazer, tower blox).
I hear you, but see here's the thing: this is a Nokia smart phone with a flat T-Mobile data plan very, very likely attached. Somebody buying into a smart phone is not going to be moved by basic games, weather, spirit level, etc, etc.

They want value-added honest to goodness *applications*.

Unless of course Nokia and T-Mobile basically push this phone to the Sidekick/teenage market...

Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Unregistered

Why would any TMobile customer buy this over the Nexus One.

Keep dreaming. This phone will rot in the shelves.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Why would any TMobile customer buy this over the Nexus One.

Keep dreaming. This phone will rot in the shelves.
Not sure of the differences in pricing stateside, but at least in the UK the two are totally different pricing and markets. Going on like-for-like pricing (ie. SIM free, no subsidy), the 5230 is a QUARTER of the price - 150 vs 600. Thats a huge pricing differential.

As for the threaded SMS - the way it works on the 5230 is *not* threaded SMS. When you go to compose a reply it opens the standard SMS editor. To be a fully accepted threaded SMS it should show the messages in a list, different indents, and when you key in a reply it should be there in the list immediately, not opening up a separate editor.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Not sure of the differences in pricing stateside, but at least in the UK the two are totally different pricing and markets. Going on like-for-like pricing (ie. SIM free, no subsidy), the 5230 is a QUARTER of the price - 150 vs 600. Thats a huge pricing differential.
150? You mean 79.....

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...OKIA-5230/PPAY

And that's unlocked. Any sim any network and you can have it in pink. They are also free on the lowest cheapest tariff.

I don't believe the Nexus one is 600. If you purchased one from Google in the US it worked out to be about 450 all in.

http://news.nexus-one.co.uk/post/328...ails-confirmed

Clonmult, do you just make it up as you type it in?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
150? You mean 79.....

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...OKIA-5230/PPAY

And that's unlocked. Any sim any network and you can have it in pink. They are also free on the lowest cheapest tariff.

I don't believe the Nexus one is 600. If you purchased one from Google in the US it worked out to be about 450 all in.

http://news.nexus-one.co.uk/post/328...ails-confirmed

Clonmult, do you just make it up as you type it in?
79 is a subsidised price, and heavily discounted by CPW.

The price I had for the Nexus One was based on what Expansys charge for them, fair enough that you can get it cheaper.

point still stands though - the 5230 is still less than a quarter of the price of a Nexus One.