All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Unregistered

Why would any TMobile customer buy this over the Nexus One.

Keep dreaming. This phone will rot in the shelves.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why would any TMobile customer buy this over the Nexus One.

Keep dreaming. This phone will rot in the shelves.
Not sure of the differences in pricing stateside, but at least in the UK the two are totally different pricing and markets. Going on like-for-like pricing (ie. SIM free, no subsidy), the 5230 is a QUARTER of the price - 150 vs 600. Thats a huge pricing differential.

As for the threaded SMS - the way it works on the 5230 is *not* threaded SMS. When you go to compose a reply it opens the standard SMS editor. To be a fully accepted threaded SMS it should show the messages in a list, different indents, and when you key in a reply it should be there in the list immediately, not opening up a separate editor.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

Insane Reindeer

"But is T-Mobile's 3G coverage any good? Do they suffer from the same problems that blight AT&T's offering?"

I use both an N95 and 5800XM on AT&T and have no problems. My phones both display 3G and/or 3.5G 99.9% of the time. Very rarely does it ever slip into EDGE territory.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Glad for it

Well, I'm one American T-Mobile customer who has decided to pass on the Nexus One but will definitely buy the Nuron on the 17th. There are a number of reasons, but suffice it to say that although Nokia phones often don't have the build-quality or slim and classy appearance of other phones, they can just do so much with a few bits of add-on software. Just check out all the specs on the Nuron. I love the UI of the iPhone, but Symbian 5th will do fine for me despite its relative lack of eye candy. Free Ovi Maps is a big selling point. Incidentally, for some reason I just don't think the Nexus One is a very nice-looking phone; it's just bland.
Ads

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Not sure of the differences in pricing stateside, but at least in the UK the two are totally different pricing and markets. Going on like-for-like pricing (ie. SIM free, no subsidy), the 5230 is a QUARTER of the price - 150 vs 600. Thats a huge pricing differential.
150? You mean 79.....

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...OKIA-5230/PPAY

And that's unlocked. Any sim any network and you can have it in pink. They are also free on the lowest cheapest tariff.

I don't believe the Nexus one is 600. If you purchased one from Google in the US it worked out to be about 450 all in.

http://news.nexus-one.co.uk/post/328...ails-confirmed

Clonmult, do you just make it up as you type it in?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekolmer View Post
Nokia phones often don't have the build-quality .
Build quality? How about build quality where it counts. You can drop one of these cheapo phones from your ear to concrete, and just pick it up and continue your call. I've done it. Some people don't like the way they feel and how the plastic flexes, but I know what I want from a phone.

For iPhones that have undergone a similar event do an Ebay search "iPhone broken screen".
It's the slimness and the stiffness and the way the shock impact energy transmits through the casing to the screen.

And if you buy this phone you will get double the battery life and superior call quality and connection in fringe areas compared to phones costing 5 times the price of this one.

Nokia have always done well with the fundamentals that are normally overlooked for superficial eye candy.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

on that carphone warehouse link, look at specs
Next to smartphone criteria, there is a red cross!
It has the same OS as the N97....idiots!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Unregistered

Might work initially but wait til you load it up with apps and info. It only has 70mb internal memory!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Might work initially but wait til you load it up with apps and info. It only has 70mb internal memory!
Not sure that's such a big deal. The 5800 only has 81Mb. So I load apps that will on the MicroSD. I still have 30Mb free on the phone.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:48 AM
KPOM

It's about time Nokia strikes a deal with T-Mobile. Their 3G network has a smaller geographic footprint than even AT&T, but it is all HSDPA 7.2, and they are in the middle of an HSPA+ upgrade that will eventually cover their entire 3G network. They also have a more reliable voice network and, unlike AT&T don't have the iPhone drawing attention away from their other smartphones.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
So how much is an 8GB sdhc card? $12 ? You can configure where your info is stored and where most apps install so the internal RAM never becomes a problem.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
150? You mean 79.....

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...OKIA-5230/PPAY

And that's unlocked. Any sim any network and you can have it in pink. They are also free on the lowest cheapest tariff.

I don't believe the Nexus one is 600. If you purchased one from Google in the US it worked out to be about 450 all in.

http://news.nexus-one.co.uk/post/328...ails-confirmed

Clonmult, do you just make it up as you type it in?
79 is a subsidised price, and heavily discounted by CPW.

The price I had for the Nexus One was based on what Expansys charge for them, fair enough that you can get it cheaper.

point still stands though - the 5230 is still less than a quarter of the price of a Nexus One.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Now, lets see what I've got installed on mine ...

23 apps, 16 games. Maps for the UK and Florida. About 700 mp3s, a few hundred pictures, a couple of episodes of 24 and the Ironman 2 trailer.

Reckon I'll be needing a 16gig card soon. The 8gig can be used as a backup for my HD camera.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Kalel17

It is not ram but the flash disk. I think you get a 2gb card with the phone

Old 04-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
79 is a subsidised price, and heavily discounted by CPW.

The price I had for the Nexus One was based on what Expansys charge for them, fair enough that you can get it cheaper.

point still stands though - the 5230 is still less than a quarter of the price of a Nexus One.
It may be subsidised but there is no obligation or lock in to any network. The phone is yours to do with as you please.

Yes, the point stands.