All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
you exit shell by hitting 'launcher' , 'settings' then the icon bottom right and then pick exit

Old 13-07-2010, 05:16 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Photos

It was the only time i got the message "not enough memory" and i got it quite often when i first loaded the shell.

Ignore it, just keep trying to open your photos and it should do after two or three times - i found that after a few weeks of persistance the error message came less and less often.

Also, every time i rebooted my phone i would always close down unwanted running apps via task manager and they would stay closed until either I opened them or the next time i rebooted, anything you can do to take back some ram will help shell and the apps that you do want to run.

xx

Old 13-07-2010, 06:16 AM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_sukanta View Post
Is that any way I could exit Shell? I really like those home screen and wizgets.... But it left me so little ram that I couldn't open photo browser(around 120 photos in 'captured' tab) while my music player is running... (well most of the time)...
I am somewhat wondering if I could exit the shell while do some serious work and leave the eyecandy items for rest of time....

If it would help someone
Shell version 3.5.0 - 295 build
N97 mini (unbranded Unlocked)
V 12.0.110
Update to 3.5.5 and it will fix the ram issue

Old 13-07-2010, 07:13 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
To exit SPB Shell...

Launcher > Settings > Bottom right button > Exit Shell

Hope that helps.

I would guess that you have a few other app's running in the background (or have not emptied your built-in home screen) as I can access Photo's and Music Player together with no problem.

I do also notice that you are using the old edition of SPB Shell (build 295) which is RAM heavy and uses about 10MB more than the latest v3.5.5.

Therefore a simple update may solve your problems.

Old 13-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Any ideas where on the C drive it stores the fact you've installed a trial? I don't want to do a hard reset, but I'd like to try the newer build, except it won't let me install it.

Old 13-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Just back-up your settings using Shell's Settings Back-up and then uninstall your old Shell using the phones application Manager and then install the latest version.

If you likes the old version (build 295) you'll love the new one!

If you're trying to get another 15 day trial then, without hacking your phone, you'll have to do a hard reset.

Old 13-07-2010, 03:42 PM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody for helping me out of shell... and seriously I know it would be easier to ask here then googled it...
And for update... I'm currently out of my city and really dont want to hammered my EDGE connection(really In India it still exist) for update...
@angiepea -- thanks for tips.. I noticed that also... but sometime it simply didnt work :( and I do clear my default homescreen and restrict myself in 3 homepage in shell... It do help..

@ironass - I dont have anyother application open except those said two...(well shell and home and menu are open.. atleast that's what my task manager saying)... But may be there are some invisible application opened.. How do you people see thats running..(except stock task manager)

Old 13-07-2010, 05:41 PM

I use Handy Taskman (see screen shot) for viewing and closing tasks as well as monitoring RAM and disk usage.

It is an absolute "must have" for my N-series phones.

Costs $14.95 from here:-

http://nokia-n97-software.epocware.c...y_Taskman.html

There are also a number of FREE Task applications such as JBTaskman. See here:-

http://jbak.ru/jbaktaskman_en.php

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000224.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	4899  

Last edited by ironass; 13-07-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Old 13-07-2010, 06:13 PM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
Thanks ironass... I would explore JBTaskman first... then go for paid one.....
Just a quick qs... Do I have any option to pay by Indian Rupee... as my credit card company would put a premium over the actual price if I pay in foriegn currency... :(
(for history I pay SPB shell in $ which actually make it costier of roughly 1$... But I happily accept that...)

Old 13-07-2010, 08:36 PM

The honest answer sukanta is that I don't remember as it's been over a year since I purchased Handy Taskman for the N97.

JBTaskman should more than do the job though.

Old 31-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

SPB Shell is currently on 'offer' at Ovi.

http://store.ovi.com/content/40055?clickSource=bso

Old 31-08-2010, 03:24 PM

nudger is on a distinguished road
Email widget for SPB Mobile Shell

It looks cool - I've been watching a couple of video reviews of this on the N97 and N97 Mini on YouTube from reputable sources like Symbian Guru etc and it does look tempting.

I know people have mentioned that there's no way to integrate the Nokia Messaging widget from the default homescreen onto this but the user guide that you can read on the SPB website talks of an email widget.

Any know any more about this? It's clearly not simply a shortcut to the email program so I wondered if there is a widget that can display when you have a new email on a homescreen - even if there's no info about the subject and sender etc etc.

Cheers

Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 AM

ving is on a distinguished road
I use SPB Mobile Shell and I think it's a brilliant piece of software. I'm really happy with it.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudger View Post
snipped>> that you can read on the SPB website talks of an email widget.

Any know any more about this? It's clearly not simply a shortcut to the email program so I wondered if there is a widget that can display when you have a new email on a homescreen - even if there's no info about the subject and sender etc etc.

Cheers

Yeah, there is an option... A widget sits on a screen as an envelope icon BUT that is tied into the messaging mail boxes, so you can still have it showing new and number of mails, just not if they are coming thru Nokia Messaging client. Looks like this. (X6 tho)

linky

Last edited by kontraband; 09-09-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

http://spb.com/press/pressreleases/2...-carriers.html