All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 19-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Fairest Fight: Samsung i8910 HD vs Google Nexus One

When launched in early 2009, the Samsung i8910 HD (a.k.a. Omnia HD in some markets) had eye-watering specifications, certainly ahead of anything else in the Symbian world and, arguably, ahead of anything in the world in general. Bit by bit the wider market is embracing the same technology though, with Google's new Nexus One offering an almost identical specification and form factor. Which can only mean one thing: - time to get them both in-house, photographed and tested, head to head.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-01-2010, 03:47 PM

JOHNNYGLYNN is on a distinguished road
interesting,
not sure of the nexus edging it in the maps and navigation part. seemed fairly even there.

I love the idea of the I8910 but the fisher price style front end (TouchWiz; even the name sounds like a kids toy) really put me off.

I'll echo the sentiment from the phones show chat, get google software in nokia hardware then we'll see whats what.

Off topic but I feel the need to say it I'm enjoying the n900 enormously.

Old 19-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Nexus One is actually metal and plastic, the bezel around the screen wrapping round the back of the device is metal not plastic.

The Nexus One is actually the same price in the UK (before shipping) as it is in the USA, you do have the option of paying extra for a UK charger, but you don't need to as the one in the box works fine with an adaptor. (or you can use a Nokia microSD charger)
Yes you do end up paying VAT which makes it dearer in the UK, US prices never include Sales Tax as every state is different.

The screen on my Nexus One is perfectly calibrated.

The Nexus One is getting Flash 10.1 (rumoured to be the first device to get it) in an update http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWOocHwcLo

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Last edited by Ratkat; 19-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Old 19-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

You also pay extra import duty on top of VAT when you ship an item in from outside EU. It puts the price of the Nexus up to about 450 including the shipping.

Old 19-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Noted, Nick, now that the N1 has cooled down a little, I can feel the metal - it's tricky when there are no temperature differentials though 8-)

Old 19-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

Comparing phones purely on specification is of limited use, or we could all choose our phones using a special edition of Top Trumps.

As for the effect of touching the screens and the residue left behind, this is as much a characteristic of the user as the screen. Some have more dry skin than others.

Old 19-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Administrator

>>Comparing phones purely on specification is of limited use, or we could all choose our phones using a special edition of Top Trumps.

Exactly. Which is why I add all sorts of insightful comments. Hopefully.

>>As for the effect of touching the screens and the residue left behind, this is as much a characteristic of the user as the screen. Some have more dry skin than others.

Exactly. Again. People with dry skin won't be able to use these phones AT ALL. I have dry skin in the mornings (e.g. after bath/shower) and many screen taps don't work. Later in the day, when my skin's greasier, capacitive screens work a treat.

Not something people usually consider, but hey.... 8-)

Old 19-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Browser

If you go by the built in browsers, then yes, Android is superior.

But if you include Opera Mobile 10, then Symbian wins that one by a distance. 100/100 on Acid3 tests is damn impressive for a mobile browser!

Old 19-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
If you go by the built in browsers, then yes, Android is superior.

But if you include Opera Mobile 10, then Symbian wins that one by a distance. 100/100 on Acid3 tests is damn impressive for a mobile browser!
Opera Mobile 10 for Android is on its way.

Old 19-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
>>Comparing phones purely on specification is of limited use, or we could all choose our phones using a special edition of Top Trumps.

Exactly. Which is why I add all sorts of insightful comments. Hopefully.

>>As for the effect of touching the screens and the residue left behind, this is as much a characteristic of the user as the screen. Some have more dry skin than others.

Exactly. Again. People with dry skin won't be able to use these phones AT ALL. I have dry skin in the mornings (e.g. after bath/shower) and many screen taps don't work. Later in the day, when my skin's greasier, capacitive screens work a treat.

Not something people usually consider, but hey.... 8-)
What I should have said, I don't get that much smearing even with prolonged use. And it does work.

Old 19-01-2010, 07:24 PM
KPOM

Nice words for the Nexus One from Steve Litchfield! I have recently switched to a Nexus One to tide me over until (or if) Nokia sorts out things with Symbian and Maemo. The camera isn't as nice, but the web browser, navigation, and e-mail software are better and enough to convince me to give Android 2.1 a try.

Old 19-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Opera Mobile 10 for Android is on its way.
True and I look forward to that because it's good for mobile internet all round.

But for end users, that day isn't here yet so my point remains valid.

Old 19-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
True and I look forward to that because it's good for mobile internet all round.

But for end users, that day isn't here yet so my point remains valid.
Not really. Because Opera is let down badly, very badly by flash support.
Ads

Old 19-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Have to disagree about the navigation and firmware points...

The i8910 has Route66 AND Google Maps, so the Nexus One "win" of Google Maps is not really a win at all.

Samsung have confirmed more than once that they are continuing to provide software updates for the i8910. Indeed a fairly big update (including improved web browser and full kinetic scrolling) is due this month.

Old 19-01-2010, 07:58 PM
KPOM

Android has several navigation apps available. However, if you are in the USA, you get Google Maps with turn-by-turn navigation for free with Android 2.1. That's better than what they make available for other platforms.