All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Will the N97 or Mini be better for me?

Hi,

I have been using an iPhone 3GS for the last 9 months, mainly because I could only use an iPhone or Blackberry with my work servers. My company has now opened up a bit and I can go back to an S60 device if I choose, something I'd like to do because I'm a bit sick of the iPhone's limitations.

My question is whether either the N97 or Mini would be able to cope with the work load I would put on it given the Ram and battery issues I have read about.

My average day would be

1. Push email all day (usually send and receive 25 - 50 mails per day and I would use Profimail not Ovi Messaging so not too concerned about C: being chewed up
2. PIM sync (OTA syncml) once per hour
3. About 2-3 hrs phone calls per day
4. About 2 hrs web browsing per day, probably Opera or Opera Mini
5. 20-30 texts per day
6. Occasional pictures/video/Google Maps/Ovi Maps

What are your thoughts?

Also, does anyone know of a way to make Podcasting run automatically at a preset time? I'd like to set it up to run at 1am so it can download my podcasts in time for my morning commute. I have found an app called Mobile Task which would do this on my N95 but I don't think there is a version for S60 5th yet.

Last edited by xerxes; 02-04-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added another question

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
You can compare the two phones side-by-side at the following website:

http://mobilenews.omio.com/mobile-ph...hone-face-off/

This might help you decide which one to get. To further help, based on your average daily requirements, here are my thoughts:
  • I have a classic (larger) N97 and have it set to check and receive emails every 5 minutes for a majority of the day (9am - 11pm). The battery holds well even if I haven't put it on charge for 48 hours. If you're likely to send a lot of emails, then I'd imagine you might find the mini more comfortable, as you won't have the directional pad pushing all the keys to one side. If you send the odd email then the classic N97 is certainly fine for that.
  • The specifications show that the classic N97 has a longer standby time and longer talk time compared to the N97 mini, which would prove useful if you're going to use your phone fairly heavily each day.
  • The screen resolution of both phones are exactly the same (360x640). For web browsing, you might benefit from the slightly larger screen on the classic N97.
  • With regards to texts, if you're sending so many each day, again the mini might be a better option purely for comfort. However, if you have large hands then overall the classic might be more comfortable as it would sit in your hand better for general use.
  • Both phones have an amazing ability that the iPhone simply doesn't have... but practically every other phone has too... the ability to swap batteries! Whichever phone you get, you can always get a second battery and take it with you. That way, if you find yourself using your phone more than you would normally (and you may have forgotten, or been unable, to put it on charge), you have the safety net of a second battery to get you through the day. If you think you'll need a second battery more often, then the mini may be the better of the two as the metal battery cover will be able to withstand frequent removal without warping/creaking.
  • You say you may take the odd photograph. Getting a classic N97 means you have a lens slider to protect the camera lens from scratches. There used to be an issue where the slider itself was rubbing caught dirt and grit on the lens and hence scratching it, but Nokia have resolved this problem.
  • If you're going to be taking your phone everywhere with you, you might want a phone that isn't too bulky. In which case, the reduced size and weight of the mini might make it the more obvious choice for placing in your pocket, compared to the slightly bulkier classic.
  • You haven't stressed any requirement for an FM transmitter or larger internal storage, so I can only assume these aren't necessary. Since you won't need them, you could save money (or get a better contract) on a mini compared to the classic. Furthermore, there's nothing stopping you from putting a 16Gb microSD card in the mini to get a total of 24Gb storage.
I know this list is a load of maybe's and what-if's, but only you can tell which of the key aspects of each phone would be best suited for you.

Hope this helps.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've posted a list of comparisons to help aid you in your choice, but it was caught by the damn spam thingie on this forum. Hopefully an admin will come along and approve it so you can benefit from it.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 PM

I had a look at the two side by side today and the mini does look a fair bit more pocketable but I a bit worried about the smaller battery.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM

bang bang boom is on a distinguished road
My N97 goes through a lot more punishment than that... But i do use a spare battery... Be lost without 2 batteries... 19.99 off nokia website....

Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM

jmurch is on a distinguished road
mini

I have a mini and am very happy with it. I have about the same level of use that you have. I bought and charged a spare battery but have yet to need it.

If you don't have anything that opens a constant connection the battery is fine. I sync my mail every 15 min if its in wifi range it builds the connection and then shuts it down same with 3g if no wifi.

http://my-symbian.com/s60v3/software...Auto=171&faq=1

Never had a classic n97 so I can't compare.

What network are you on?

Jeff

Last edited by jmurch; 02-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurch View Post
I have a mini and am very happy with it. I have about the same level of use that you have. I bought and charged a spare battery but have yet to need it.

If you don't have anything that opens a constant connection the battery is fine. I sync my mail every 15 min if its in wifi range it builds the connection and then shuts it down same with 3g if no wifi.

Never had a classic n97 so I can't compare.

What network are you on?

Jeff
I would run the N97 on my Vodafone sim from work but I will probably buy a second hand unlocked phone and debrand to Euro1 code.

Interestingly, when poking about the shops this morning, I heard separately from the T-mobile, 3, and Orange stores that the N97 is going to be end-of-lifer I the next few weeks. They are already running down their stocks. I don't know if that's just because of poor demand or because there is a real replacement due out soon.

It doesn't really matter to me as I never buy phones until they have been out for a few months and I have seen the second round of reviews which is where any problems are exposed. Then at least I know what to expect and whether I should wait for firmware updates.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM

bang bang boom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
I would run the N97 on my Vodafone sim from work but I will probably buy a second hand unlocked phone and debrand to Euro1 code.

Interestingly, when poking about the shops this morning, I heard separately from the T-mobile, 3, and Orange stores that the N97 is going to be end-of-lifer I the next few weeks. They are already running down their stocks. I don't know if that's just because of poor demand or because there is a real replacement due out soon.

It doesn't really matter to me as I never buy phones until they have been out for a few months and I have seen the second round of reviews which is where any problems are exposed. Then at least I know what to expect and whether I should wait for firmware updates.
that just could be a marketing ploy to make u buy one...

Its not even 12months old

Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 PM

I don't think it was a sales ploy. Both the salesguys in Orange and T-Mobile told me their stores had run out of stock and wouldn't be getting anymore and that I'd have to order from the website.

The guy in the 3 shop did have a couple in stock but seemed much more intent on selling me a SE X10.

Has anyone else got any pointers about which unit to go for or about automating Podcasting?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
just bad sales, methinks

for the podcast thingy, you can use smartphoneware's Best Profiles, it's highly recommended

also instead of getting a spare battery, you can look at getting the power packs, where you can charge the phone by plugging it in instead of getting a spare battery. your phone wont last the whole day with your kind of usage

Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Ok so I bought a mini on eBay.

Thanks for all the comments and the Best Profiles idea. I'll let you guys know how I progress.

Old 20-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
Ok so I bought a mini on eBay.

Thanks for all the comments and the Best Profiles idea. I'll let you guys know how I progress.
So as I said, I got the Mini, debranded it, updated to v11 and hard reset to get a clean starting point. I then tried it out for a week. I found that the battery was about the same as my 3gs and that the signal strength and gps were both much better. Unfortunately I could not get used to the laggy touchscreen and general slow execution when starting programs.

Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers but I think I'm going to have to wait for the N8 to be released before I can finally retire the iPhone. Fortunately I was able to sell it Envirofone with only a 15 loss on what I paid on eBay.

Last edited by xerxes; 20-04-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Old 20-04-2010, 07:29 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Regarding the N97 - I've been looking around several phone shops in the last couple of days, and the classic N97 is not in any of the main high street shops - the n97 Mini is however - so the comments re 'end of life' may well be correct.

I've been looking at alternatives to my N97 Classic, and one of the reasons is the slow and sluggish response of the OS, but would have thought the Mini would have run a little better / faster than the classic. But at least you gave it a try, and good luck with your next phone.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 21-04-2010, 07:44 AM

natehugg is on a distinguished road
I choose N97 not mini

If you are a girl with slender finger,i think N97 mini may fit you.otherwise i choose N97,more comfortable.

Old 21-04-2010, 10:42 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
I've been looking at alternatives to my N97 Classic, and one of the reasons is the slow and sluggish response of the OS, but would have thought the Mini would have run a little better / faster than the classic.
Apart from the smaller mass memory, are there any hardware differences? (faster CPU etc)
If not, then I don't think the N97 mini would be any faster or slower to the N97 classic.