All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-04-2010, 02:45 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarner View Post
I can understand why a number of comments about the N8, and Symbian^3 in particular, are fairly negative.

I would think that 90% of phone users / purchasers do not give a jot about the majority of the 'under the hood' changes to the OS. As tech-heads even some of us aren't too bothered about some of these things, let alone your average teenage girl / boy. Most ordinary users only really care about two things:

- How cool the UI looks, in terms of aesthetics, transition effects and smoothness
- How easy it is to do the basics - phone people up, send texts, listen to music and browse the web

Being a developer myself (although not a smartphone application developer I admit!), I understand that a number of under the hood changes are required before an improved UI can be implemented.

Personally, however, I think that goals of Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 should have been swapped over as much as possible - i.e. to have made Symbian^3 the one which introduced the new UI and Symbain^4 to have implemented the newer APIs & optimisations.

My point is that for the vast majority UI >> OS functionality and the main grip of Symbian phone users is NOT poor functionality, but rather that the UI is outdated.
The problem is that the UI is being re-written with a completely different framework. Qt as a layer of the OS is not quite ready yet.

I totally disagree that any of the changes mentioned here or elsewhere by Symbian could be called 'under-the-hood'. You're not using that term correctly at all.

Old 30-04-2010, 03:06 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
@mwarner

Totally agree, the underlying isn`t in fact it`s almost too good (too much effort sorting the wonk bits) but it isn`t attracting people in at the moment I hope this can change too even with SF^3 (maybe the new web app devel tools will stimulate community) and certainly for SF^4 and yes even tho Symbian isn`t meant to be a top end OS anymore.

@unreg`d -( what an active contributor he/she is to be sure )
I own shares in apple from spring 2009 bought at an average of c.$85 and shares in nokia bought during their autumn 2009 dip back to spring levels bought at an average of c.E9.50

Nokia trades at 9.10 today and Apple at $267 your call.

I do have my money where my mouth is and want the best out of Nokia (for me).

There`s rumbling a starting in the jungle (hope not coz rather than faffing round with corporate politics Nokia need to roll their sleeves up and get some serious work done on OS`s device delivery monetisation of services platform and getting OVI all tied together)
Reuters -Wounded Nokia chief to face frustrated investors

Old 30-04-2010, 05:41 PM

mwarner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
The problem is that the UI is being re-written with a completely different framework. Qt as a layer of the OS is not quite ready yet.

I totally disagree that any of the changes mentioned here or elsewhere by Symbian could be called 'under-the-hood'. You're not using that term correctly at all.
I understand that S^4 will be using Qt for the UI. My main point is that considerable effort seems to have been made with technologies that are not widely applicable to the average end user, such as BT Remote Control, improved network architecture, Enterprise features (CalDAV, Remote Contacts), Cryptographic acceleration etc, which I think could have been better spent on UI enhancements. The phrase 'under-the-hood' was from Rafe, and I understand that it is not entirely applicable. I also realise that these operations are all going on in parallel, but I think additional effort could have been placed on what many think is the achiles heel of Symbian, which is the UI - even if the changes are temporary, to be replaced by Qt in S^4.

I don't think many users are disappointed with the functionality of Symbian as it is in S60 5th. If asked I am sure that the vast majority of end users would say that it is the UI that is outdated and are otherwise happy with the capabilities of the OS. After all Symbian is more powerful than, for example, Android or the iPhone OS, but the PERCEPTION is that Symbian is outdated, solely due to the impression the UI gives.

Last edited by mwarner; 30-04-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Old 30-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

I'm bored with all this subjective crap. I'll buy the next iPhone, a HTC Desire or whatever follows it up, and an N8 and subsequent Symbian^4 phone.

Then I'll use whichever one suits my mood on any day.

They are all good, none are perfect.

That is all. Arguing the toss between them is a waste of time. Just buy the one you like best.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:49 PM

DamianDinning is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This LOOKS like we would be able to output native 720p video to a HDTV, but i'd love to have this confirmed. If it just upscales the 360x640 display output it would be a bit of a disappointment to me & probably many others too, but wouldn't surprise me greatly.
Images and videos are played at displayed at their native resolution over HDMI up to 720p. So if you have a 720p video yes it will play at 720p. Outside of pictures and videos the UI is scaled up, actually doesn't look too bad. But for sure the 720p out images and video is amazing. It's almost like a mini BlueRay player that fits in your pocket. Yes I know that BueRay is 1080p but I think you know what I'm getting at.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Munk View Post
Hey guys. Could anyone please shed some light on the screen tech?

I read in the specs sheet that it is OLED -(AMOLED) i presume- but is this the previous generation tech that leaves the device useless outdoors or is the the new samsung screen (SuperAMOLED) that is transleflective and readable in bright light?

Imho this will be a major factor in sales of the device in many parts of the world, esp Asia where the sun is out 10months of the year!

It's AMOLED. In my personal experience thus far it is much easier to use outdoors than my last AMOLED equipped product the N86.

br

D

Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
great to hear it! But if it's the same, what's the difference in outdoors use? Or better asked WHY? Shouldn't be exactly the same? What about "breathing light" on menu key (like with N86) for notifications. Is it still there?

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 01-05-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Brendan Donegan

Quote:
I understand that S^4 will be using Qt for the UI. My main point is that considerable effort seems to have been made with technologies that are not widely applicable to the average end user, such as BT Remote Control, improved network architecture, Enterprise features (CalDAV, Remote Contacts), Cryptographic acceleration etc, which I think could have been better spent on UI enhancements. The phrase 'under-the-hood' was from Rafe, and I understand that it is not entirely applicable. I also realise that these operations are all going on in parallel, but I think additional effort could have been placed on what many think is the achiles heel of Symbian, which is the UI - even if the changes are temporary, to be replaced by Qt in S^4.

I don't think many users are disappointed with the functionality of Symbian as it is in S60 5th. If asked I am sure that the vast majority of end users would say that it is the UI that is outdated and are otherwise happy with the capabilities of the OS. After all Symbian is more powerful than, for example, Android or the iPhone OS, but the PERCEPTION is that Symbian is outdated, solely due to the impression the UI gives.
But the UI is not just the rounded corners and the font and the colour scheme - it's also the transitions and the frame rate and the overall smoothness of the experience. This is where iPhone and Android had the edge before and this is where Symbian^3 brings improvements as well. This is the part of the UI that consumers really care about and this is the part of the UI where the efforts were focused.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My point is that for the vast majority UI >> OS functionality and the main grip of Symbian phone users is NOT poor functionality, but rather that the UI is outdated.
Hang on minute, if there's one UI which looks outdated it's the iPhones. In this day and age, an OS which simply presents a list of icons and not much more is pretty poor; unless iPhone OS 4 comes with a more wizzy homescreen, with Today information, widgets and the like, then that is one OS which can seriously be considered dated...

Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
great to hear it! But if it's the same, what's the difference in outdoors use? Or better asked WHY? Shouldn't be exactly the same? What about "breathing light" on menu key (like with N86) for notifications. Is it still there?

Cheers,
Miki
It's AMOLED which the N86 wa AMOLED but it's a lter generation. There are constantly improvements being made in brightness of OLED displays.

Yes the breathing light is retained, it surrounds the menu key.

br

D

Old 03-05-2010, 03:04 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
thanks Damian.

Does this new AMOLED also consume less power? As battery life for N8 is astonishing even comparing to N86, and having massive screen (comparing to N86) this is quite amaizing, if true.

Cheers,
Miki

Old 19-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
thanks Damian.

Does this new AMOLED also consume less power? As battery life for N8 is astonishing even comparing to N86, and having massive screen (comparing to N86) this is quite amaizing, if true.

Cheers,
Miki
Power consumption improvement comes from a number of places.

br

D
Ads