All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-05-2004, 11:00 AM

luckyklz is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Programming in java for symbian devices

Hello there

I've been a C programmer for years and then moved to Java (few months ago)
I recently bought a symbian powered phone (p800) to replace my PDA .
My question refers to all of you who program for UIQ devices in Java.
Can you list me books that you have read or other resources where I can begin learning about programming for UIQ symbian devices ?

Please avoid empty replies , such as " take a look at symbian.com" , or "search for books on amazon.com" . I did look the symbian website which contains resources for people who know how to program with J2ME , and I did search in amazon for books .

what I'm asking you is to place here your line of progress in which you have learnt how to program for symbian in Java .
I would appriaciate any kind of reviews of your listings

Thank you in advance
Ads

Old 16-06-2004, 10:53 AM

wahchild is on a distinguished road
Book list would be:

Symbian OS C++ for Mobile Phones by Richard Harrison
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...644727-4742819
Mostly C++ stuff (which I bought it for), but has some good chapters on UIQ specific java towards the end.

J2ME in a Nutshell by Kim Topley
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/059600253X/qid=1087382026/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_11_6/026-0644727-4742819
Bit heavy, but a great reference book - probably the most useful one in the long term.

Wireless J2ME Platform Programming by Vatan Piroumian
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130449148/qid=1087382149/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_2_12/026-0644727-4742819
Hasn't got the greatest reviews on Amazon, but I found it to be a good tutorial if you already know JavaSE.

Javadocs for the API's
Documentation that comes with any SDK you've got. By far your best resource (you'll end up with it open in a web browser all the time).

The root I took to learning J2ME was: Learnt Java SE/EE as part of the day job then started messing about with the books mentioned above. Haven't messed with PersonalJava much at this time though, it's all been J2ME.

Last thing - get yourself a copy of Jbuilder X from Borland.com (Foundation version's free) it's a really nice IDE. If you get the Nokia Developer's Suite 2.1 for J2ME™ and integrate it, you can start doing the interesting coding J2ME stuff (Series 60) straight away and not have to worry about the boring stuff like building and deployment as it handles it for you.