All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-03-2009, 03:47 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb E71 New Firmware: 17/03/09: 210.21.006

As per the title, I am now being offered, via NSU the chance to update my firmware FROM 200.21.118 TO a newer 210.21.006

Have not done so yet, as just getting the message, and testing it for real via NSU itself just now, I have not yet had a chance to backup my phone contents first etc.

But it is REAL, and there.

PLEASE NOTE - to try and reduce the number of posts saying "Nothing for me yet when I try it", let me again remind ALL users, that the availability of new firmware is entirely dependant on your E71 Product Code/Market/Area/Region.

And this is being offered for me, under the generic Euro none-operator based product code.

Additionally, there is a new version of NSU itself now, to take it FROM 1.4.85en (for English Markets), to 1.4.98en

Last edited by shadamehr; 17-03-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: To Insert Screengrab

Old 17-03-2009, 09:50 PM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
Is anybody else getting a vertical thin green/black line down the right-hand side of all photos since this firmware upgrade? Or is it just me?

Old 18-03-2009, 04:27 AM

joselms is on a distinguished road
What? None for the states? It looked like this update is only available in Europe. Great, Nokia!

Do you think this update adds rich HTML email capability? The iPhone and BlackBerry has it long ago.

Old 18-03-2009, 08:47 AM

joele is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Not available in Australia (asia?) region either..

Shame as I am having a lot of trouble with the previous firmware.

- mainly to do with the home screen, the information at the bottom of the screen regarding SMSs comes up for the first 5-6 hours after a reset (maybe 12) then stops working and the only notice of an email or sms is the small icon on the top right.

- have to reset every few days due to other freezeups or the menu not coming up at all, alo once the SD card just randomly wiped itself..

- random loss of menu changes, I set up my own folders and moved a lot of stuff around. randomly when I try to install something new it doesn't install and all the menu folders/layout refresh back to default.. (happend 3 times now)

- Emails, I tell it to download 5k (not just warn me) every hour, sometimes it downloads but other times it just warns of mail but doesn't download (or just gets headers)..

I'm really surprised but I am finding the stability much worse than windows mobile was..

Last edited by joele; 18-03-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Old 18-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joele View Post
- have to reset every few days due to other freezeups or the menu not coming up at all, alo once the SD card just randomly wiped itself..
First question, what size memory card are you using?

The problems you are getting point to either a faulty phone or installed software misbehaving. They are certainly not normal for the E71.

Old 18-03-2009, 08:41 PM

joele is on a distinguished road
memory card is the 2gb one that came with my e71..

They are dirt cheap so I guess I can buy another one to test if that is the problem..

As for software I would assume it would only be memory resident (background) apps that would cause a problem like that?..
- I bought SBSH Calendar and Safe Wallet
- I am trialling Handy Clock, profiles, shopper and Taskman
- Xbrowser
- Games - two java ones (aces hold em, sudoku) and Astraware boardgames and solitaire

All pretty mainstream stuff I thought??

I have emailed Nokia support (24 hours ago) so no response yet..

Old 19-03-2009, 12:12 PM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
New firmware? Interesting - it was only last week when the last updated firmware was available for my UK T-Mobile E71-1...

Looks like a very minor update though. Really, I can't see much of a difference between the original firmware and the (now old) firmware...

Old 19-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
New firmware? Interesting - it was only last week when the last updated firmware was available for my UK T-Mobile E71-1...

Looks like a very minor update though. Really, I can't see much of a difference between the original firmware and the (now old) firmware...
Camera image quality.

It's still NO Carl Zeiss work of art, but the image quality of what were indeed nightmare pictures, is now a fair bit better indeed.

A lot of the noise and dotting has gone, and the purple hazing of low light images is a lot more improved and reduced now.

That is probably the key major change, the rest is likely to be nothing more than minor bug fixes.

Though one BAD new change (why is it always me that finds the BAD changes in new Firmware on here), is that the "Delete ALL" option has been REMOVED in the new firmware, for the Calendar.

Likely done to reduce the risk of wholesale erroneous wiping, as some people confuse Delete All, as meaning Delete all REPEATING entries.

But for me, it's an utter NIGHTMARE, this change, as through various reasons I won't go into, since doing my update, I have managed to corrupt the Calendar FOUR times, due to worngly done syncs to GooSync (one way syncs instead of both ways, and as a result three lots of everything on the phone calendar).

This USED to be easy to fix, just delete ALL, then do a proper, correct sync.

But now I CAN'T "delete all".

So I have had to full format my phone FOUR times now, simply in order to delete ALL Calendar entries, and then "restore" from a Pc Suite backup, without restoring the Calendar entries.

All that, just to delete ALL calendar entries - what a JOKE Nokia.

I rang them up about this this morning, but was told I need to be routed through to Data Support, as it's an E series device, so I would have to await a call back. I told them I started work at 1pm, but what do you know, THREE calls this afternoon, whilst at work, unable to answer, despite the promise of it being before 1pm.

So me not happy with Nokia just now!

Old 20-03-2009, 12:53 PM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
I think you've being a little bit harsh on Nokia, there. Deleting all entries with no backup is worse than having four duplicates. Having four duplicates is incredibly frustrating but you haven't lost any data.

There may be a third party solution to wipe the database somewhere else, anybody?

It's something I have gotten used to sorting since leaving my PalmOS device behind. There was this one time, at band camp, when my Windows Mobile device and ActiveSync on the desktop decided to duplicate all of my data three times over, but that meant I had nine copies. So rather than 1,200 tasks I had 10,800. Rather than 2,000 contacts I had 18,000. And lets not even write about my five years worth of appointments heh.

As for camera quality, I've not noticed but then I use all cameraphones that I've bought as a "oh I should take a picture of this" rather than for shot composure and suchlike. That's mostly because Charlie has her collection of 35mm cameras, lenses, tripods and suchlike!

Old 21-03-2009, 11:10 AM

dave9999 is on a distinguished road
...well have done the deed and can confirm the camera is loads better. A lot of the noise and blueness has gone. Another welcome (but slight) side effect is the display seems brighter and clearer...

One bad thing. AD2P streaming has stopped working...it drops out every 30 secs, which is a real shame...used that an awful lot...

...and while I'm griping, Nokia content copier basically didn't! When I came to restore half my installed apps & settings weren't there....its not awful but a bit frustrating....

Overall am happy - camera was grim and now very usable...

D

Old 16-04-2009, 11:16 PM

willysr is on a distinguished road
how long does the update will take?
I have successfully update the firmware and now the phone has restarted and it keeps stalling at installing after i set up my time and timezone
Ads

Old 18-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysr View Post
how long does the update will take?
I have successfully update the firmware and now the phone has restarted and it keeps stalling at installing after i set up my time and timezone
"installing..." is a bit vague.

But I am assuming what you mean is that the phone tells you it is installing applications automatically, not long after switching the phone on.

If so, this is caused by the phone "cleverly" spotting previously installed programs on the memory card, and trying to re-install them automatically.

NOT SO CLEVERLY however, this is NOT really a good way to do things, as often some minor changes to firmware mean that previous installations of programs, will not work properly. Or at best, they will work, but you will constantly get a message telling you you have untrusted applications that cannot be installed, every time you boot the phone, even though all worked ok.

So the answer here is to NOT have programs on the memory card, and instead to re-add them MANUALLY yourself.

Should this be your problem, stick the memory card in a card reader, and do a search for *.sis (all the symbian installer packages).

Then delete all these from the memory card.

Re-insert to phone, and switch it on.

This time it should boot up. Then you can MANUALLY download and install any programs that you need to re-add.

Messy and long winded, but the only real safe way of doing things.

Last edited by shadamehr; 18-04-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelling errrrors like thiis

Old 19-04-2009, 12:56 PM

tolerantservice is on a distinguished road
Updated Succesfully...

Just updated my e71 to the mentioned firmware, Seems to be working faster

Thank god i got rid of all that 3 garbage of it.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM

dvhttn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9999 View Post

One bad thing. AD2P streaming has stopped working...it drops out every 30 secs, which is a real shame...used that an awful lot...
Hi,

First post and a question. Did you get A2DP streaming working again? And what were you streaming to? Just trying to not have the same issue ....

Thanks