All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Large transflective screens and keypad: the legendary Nokia N95 and its family

With summer upon us in the UK and the sun burning down (well, some of the time, at least), I've been somewhat shocked at how bad all of the touch-screen-equipped Symbian-powered smartphones are when it comes to actually being able to see what's on screen clearly. Whether a map, a photo or an important email, surely you need to be able to read your device's screen in all light conditions? With this in mind, I went back to my store of older devices and could then feel another of my famous infamous comparisons coming on.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Duncan J Murray is on a distinguished road
enjoyed the article as always steve.

reminded me of my lost E90 which disappeared out my pocket in a cramped moroccan taxi a few weeks ago!

however, my replacement n900 doesn't seem too shabby in the light.

my gfs e61 is excellent.

it would be nice if mobile phone manufacturers catered for those who don't spend their whole life in an office or at night.

duncan

Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
At work

Good and fair opinions as usual Steve. I work selling cars 6 days per week and due to company rules and the law ! I only tend to use my phone outside whilst having a smoke I have an N97 which has been away for repair recently so have been using my old N95 8Gig for 3 weeks. Both phones seem to perform better than those of many of my fellow 'smokers' at work, who often have to cup there hands arround the screen to view txt's or photo's, LG's seem to be especially bad for some reason. I can see either of my phones reasonably, but really don't think they'll ever produce a screen that will fully clear in direct sunlight, it's just nice to have something that is at least 'useable'. The iPhone isn't that impressive to my eyes either, and I think related to this article, it probably shows the benefit of some sort of physical keypad, at least they are visible whatever the weather , assuming you can actually read what you're replying to ! Lol

Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 PM

brrip is on a distinguished road
Wonder if Nokia execs ever look back and say "ah, good times"

I know I do.
Ads

Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Remember the old mono screens on the old Psions; Revo and 5/5MX ?
They were actually as good or even better in sunlight than they were backlit.

Progress. It's only been 14 years.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 PM

PaulVise is on a distinguished road
These outdoors talks are in the end just BS. I remember last summer using N5800XM at beach many times. No problems with the screen with light white theme. I had tho problems, cause I was BURNING.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 PM
danman720000

superamoled

lets hope samsung license out their super amoled tech

Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM
iFanboy

Surely the GPS chip itself should be in the "Unique features" dialouge box for the N95? Afaik it made the GPS on a phone mainstream and was even one of the 1st devises to have it right? (N93 first?)

Oh how I fondly remember my N95, if only Nokia made devices like it now, maybe the N8 will be it?

Just for kicks, I was out in the sun today with my girlfriend, my mate and his girlfriend too, he was trying to show us the popular video of the BNP party leader going haywire on some Asian folk, unfortunately none of us could make it out on his 5800 screen, so he told me to look it up on Youtube using my 3GS, which I did, then we all had a good giggle :-)

Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
Surely the GPS chip itself should be in the "Unique features" dialouge box for the N95? Afaik it made the GPS on a phone mainstream and was even one of the 1st devises to have it right?
No, I mean 'unique' in the context of the three devices featured 8-)

Quote:
Just for kicks, I was out in the sun today with my girlfriend, my mate and his girlfriend too, he was trying to show us the popular video of the BNP party leader going haywire on some Asian folk, unfortunately none of us could make it out on his 5800 screen, so he told me to look it up on Youtube using my 3GS, which I did, then we all had a good giggle :-)
Exactly. The iPhone has a transflective screen, just like the Nokias featured. Also the Sony Ericsson X10 (which looks brilliant in sun) and Satio (which doesn't - is the same as the N97's).

Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 AM

Nick17 is on a distinguished road
DVB-H would have made al the difference..

For me the N96 is still the better N95..

If more countries had adopted good DVB-H, the N96 would still be the best device out there..

Expectations ran a bit high after the N95-8GB..
People who could not use DVB-H fell sold short..

As the N96 is no longer in production I bought a new device from stock and am very happy with the old firmware 12.043..

When a lot of Mobile TV-users complaint about the problems with recording DVB-H the new firmware just deleted the recording option. What is up with that..?

Strange to have looked on a daily basis for new firm-
ware (20.050, 30.033 and 30.101) and now sticking with the 12.043 (with theme-effects though)..

For now I am hoping that these two N96's will last till the the N8i or the N10 or what ever Nokia will call the upgrade of the N8 with DVB-H..

If the Netherlands should decied to end DVB-H-broadcasting I will buy a N97-mini or N8 within a day..

Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
I am so glad you brought this up, this is something that I hate but everyone just ignores and just pretends its not a problem. I don't see what people have against making criticisms.

I was out in London showing relatives around, I used google maps to find my way. On the N86 larger fancy pants OLED crisp clear beautiful vibrant colour screen rendered useless by... natural light

luckily I had my N82 with me because I knew the battery would conk out on my N86 half day, which it did. WOW what a difference even though the screen is smaller it was much much clearer.

I hope Nokia do release phones with normal LCD. I fail to recognise the advantages of OLED on my phone so far, if anything its just been annoying, I have not seen any saving in battery life compared to my N82.

Last edited by Hurlley; 10-05-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Remember the old mono screens on the old Psions; Revo and 5/5MX ?
They were actually as good or even better in sunlight than they were backlit.

Progress. It's only been 14 years.
I always found my 5mx screen to be terribly reflective, indoors or out... great device though...

Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

AAS needs a phone with Samsung's Super AMOLED.

Is does better in day light and works the opposite of transflective. It is designed to be 80% less reflective then their own AMOLED screens.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Nokia's mistake

Yet another bad cost cutting decision from Nokia, to use inferior parts for their most recent device offerings. With the release of N8 (AMOLED, capacitive touchscreen), let's hope they realise the importance of display performance for future handsets.