All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Berty, if you look further up in this thread you'll see someone giving pointers about getting it working on an E71 (or any other S60 phone), it's the post about editing the javascript file.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
Seen that yes, but don't really follow what it means, I've opened the wdiget with winzip, found the JS files, not sure what to do from there!!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

Can you share you modified version that works on the E71??

Old 01-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Berty, ah, well, the problem is I don't understand it either! :-)

Hopefully they will open the official version up to more models before "unofficial" versions of the iPlayer flood the internet.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:41 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
To work on other handsets than n95, n96, n78:

Download the iplayer.wgz file. Rename it so it's called iplayer.zip (you might have to get Windows to show you filename extensions). Or, just open the .wgz file in WinZip or another archiver.

Extract all the files, in their folders, so you have a top level folder called iplayer, with a subfolder called iplayer, then in that, folders called css, img, js and some other files.

Open the file in the js folder that's called app-min.js - you can open in NotePad, don't use a word processor, and make sure word wrap is off in notepad.

Search for the text "n95" until you find the text: (n95|n96|n78)
After the "n78" add another vertical bar (above the \ key on a keyboard, next to the left shift key), then the user agent for your phone, which is usually just the model number, in capitals, so N82 or E70 or E71 etc, so the text now looks something like (n95|n96|n78|N82)

Save the file. Re-zip the top "iplayer" folder so you have iplayer.zip again (prob delete old archive 1st). Don't use Windows built in zipper (right click folder, send to zip archive) - unsurprisingly it doesn't zip properly and the file won't install. Use winzip, or I used jzip from http://www.jzip.com

rename the archive to iplayer.wgz and install via PC suite app installer as normal.

Note, there's stuff in the script so it only works on phones over a wifi connection (i.e. phone has to have wifi, and you have to select that connection when you run the app). So, you can install on a 6220 Classic for example with user agent "Nokia6220c" but watching progs displays a wifi only message.

Alex
phonething.com

Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
It's OK to give instructions for others to customise the install file on their own setups, but please don't post re-compiled versions of the widget here. I think that strays too far down the warez road, even though this isn't a commercial app.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

OK, I have it working over a 3G data connection on a 6220 Classic - no wifi needed!
Rather cool!

One prog was very stuttery, rebuffering every 10 secs or so for a few secs, another however played just fine.

It was a very small edit to the app-min.js file (as mentioned in ajck's instructions above)

Not terribly sure if I should post instructions as it will hammer the 3G networks ....

Hmmm.....

Old 01-10-2008, 04:32 PM

cirrus is on a distinguished road
While I am very thankful that the Beeb has made an iPlayer app for S60 (even if it is only a widget), I'm a bit disappointed that they limit it to particular models based on the user-agent string. Especially given how easy it is to circumvent (see previous posts). Seems like an utterly pointless restriction to me.

I can totally understand if they don't want to officially support models they haven't tested or which, for one reason or another (lack of WiFi, varying video playback performance etc.), can't be guaranteed to deliver the best experience. However, all it takes is a disclaimer to say something like "Has only been tested on models X, Y & Z. May work on others but use at your own risk". On the other hand, actually attempting to deliberately block any other device as they are doing is silly IMHO. Not only does it risk locking out users who have perfectly capable devices, it's also a maintenance headache for the developers: Everytime a new S60 device comes out they will need to test and add it to the "supported" list. And given that they seem to do the checking locally inside the widget that would presumably involve releasing an updated version of the widget each time! Alternatively they don't bother doing the updates, but then the widget will eventually become unusable when the currently supported phones are replaced by future models.

It's like the bad old days of the Web when some (poorly made) websites used to check your browser / OS / screen-resolution and actually refuse access if you weren't using the "right" ones. As new browsers (or versions of existing ones) came along that were more than capable of displaying the site they were still locked out unless the webmasters bothered to update their scripts. I thought we had put those times behind us...

Last edited by cirrus; 01-10-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

I can't get this to work on my VF branded N95 8GB with V20 firmare. When I try to install the wgz file I am directed to finish the installation on my phone but nothing else happens. Do I need Nokia Widgets installed on my handset first?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Berty, if you look further up in this thread you'll see someone giving pointers about getting it working on an E71 (or any other S60 phone), it's the post about editing the javascript file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajck View Post
To work on other handsets than n95, n96, n78:

Download the iplayer.wgz file. Rename it so it's called iplayer.zip (you might have to get Windows to show you filename extensions). Or, just open the .wgz file in WinZip or another archiver.

Extract all the files, in their folders, so you have a top level folder called iplayer, with a subfolder called iplayer, then in that, folders called css, img, js and some other files.

Open the file in the js folder that's called app-min.js - you can open in NotePad, don't use a word processor, and make sure word wrap is off in notepad.

Search for the text "n95" until you find the text: (n95|n96|n78)
After the "n78" add another vertical bar (above the \ key on a keyboard, next to the left shift key), then the user agent for your phone, which is usually just the model number, in capitals, so N82 or E70 or E71 etc, so the text now looks something like (n95|n96|n78|N82)

Save the file. Re-zip the top "iplayer" folder so you have iplayer.zip again (prob delete old archive 1st). Don't use Windows built in zipper (right click folder, send to zip archive) - unsurprisingly it doesn't zip properly and the file won't install. Use winzip, or I used jzip from http://www.jzip.com

rename the archive to iplayer.wgz and install via PC suite app installer as normal.

Note, there's stuff in the script so it only works on phones over a wifi connection (i.e. phone has to have wifi, and you have to select that connection when you run the app). So, you can install on a 6220 Classic for example with user agent "Nokia6220c" but watching progs displays a wifi only message.

Alex
phonething.com
I've tried all of this several time, the program just will not install on my handset. E71. Anyone have the finish article I can download?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Chris V

N95 8GB problems

Hi all,

Wondering if someone can instruct me how to change the WiFi restriction on this.

I opened iPlayer and chose my hotspot and it shows up the "Sorry, television programmes can only be watched over WiFi" message. Is there a way to add 3G data connection into this by altering the app-min file? If so what do I need to do?

Please reply.
or email me at garag3 at gmail dot com.

Thanks
Ads

Old 01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

FWIW, i couldn't install via PC Suite, but it did install direct from the phone browser.

Nice app -- what really annoys me is the RealPlayer on Nokia and how yuo have to manually set the access point. RealPlayer is generally anoying anyway -- no way to FF, RW, or save your place.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
How do I install a .wgz file?

How can I install the .wgz file on my N82? If I run it, it just opens the ZIP manager. I don't use PC Suite as I'm a Mac user. How can I install this just using my N82? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM

srbuk is on a distinguished road
non WiFi edit

With the small edit described I have Iplayer working on my E71

What are the edits required for it to work on connections other than WiFi?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Working great on both my E71 and N82, thanks for the mod hints guys

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia