All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-07-2009, 10:54 AM

masonstorm is on a distinguished road
I HATE SAMSUNG! Cant uninstall PC Studio 7

I have read on the forums here that a software update is available for the i8910. So i plug my phone in and try again on PC Studio 7 to update my phones software.

No suprises, it still doesnt recognise my phone.

So i go to the Samsung Mobile website and Im happy to see that there is a new version of the PC Studio 7 - 7.2.24.9

I currently have 7.2.20.9

I think, maybe that this might work. So I download the new version and try to install it, and it breaks off and tells me I need to uninstall previous versions first. Fair enough, I go to my contraol panel, add remove programs, and there is no option to uninstall PC Studio 7 (7.2.24.9)! It just tries to reinstall itself!

So my phone is full of bugs, and a firmware upgrade is now available, however I cant get it because they havent even thought through the software to allow people to access updates!

I cant believe I bought this piece of crap phone, and then kept it past the 14 days in the belief that they may fix it.

Impressed by the hardware, but software support is shocking. This phone should not have been released, its not ready!

Any suggestions/help/advice/person who want to buy my handset - please respond!

Old 20-07-2009, 11:34 AM

rleader is on a distinguished road
I sympathise...

Hi - you're right! I agree! I too found the (let's call it...) v24 of PC studio - when I first had the i8910 it was v20. Mine deinstalled/installed ok though (XP).
Yes, up to one week ago, v24 still did not see my xxIE2 Orange handset 'not recognised'.
I went for the debrand aobut a week ago... Once the xxIF7 italian firmware was on, guess what, the same PC studio v24 software just 'saw' my handset straight off (!!!), no messing about, and just went & downloaded and installed the italian xxIG2 update, no sweat!

It is Orange/Samsung in the UK which have released this handset 2-3 months too early with lots of broken software. I hereby award you their highest 'early adopter' medal! *friendly grin*

My handset is so much more stable, I recommend the debrand+xxIG2 updating. Look at my other post today on 'should I debrand'
For me with XP (i would only do it via XP !!!), the it was a painless process & totally transformed my i8910 experience this week.
Up to you, though... always that tiny risk... but, I tried it & it went ok.
Good luck!

Old 20-07-2009, 12:13 PM

e-rik is on a distinguished road
I had the same experience. The uninstall does not work, which is a bloody shame for such a big multinational company. I solved it by resetting my system (winxp) to an earlier resetpoint. You could also remove the software by deleting it manually. But then you must also manually remove all the occurrences in the registry, which is a bit tricky, especially if you also have other samsung devices in your computer. Anyway if you decide to go that way, it's at your own risk and don't forget to backup your registry first!

The updater of the new version (24) did scan my phone for the need to update and used to return the (faulty) message "The mobile device is not supported by the updater". After I installed the 'intermediate 'dutch' update' (see this thread) the updater functions as you should expect. It now reports: "Updating is not necessary. The software is completely up to date." (translation by me :-)

e-

Old 20-07-2009, 12:49 PM

masonstorm is on a distinguished road
Manually uninstall

Whats the easiest way to manually uninstall the program given that I'm on my work Vista laptop?

Old 20-07-2009, 03:00 PM

e-rik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonstorm View Post
Whats the easiest way to manually uninstall the program given that I'm on my work Vista laptop?
If you didn't install a lot of other software since you installed the old PC Studio version, I'd suggest to use the System Recovery tool. But even then you should backup your user data first on an external harddisk or usb stick or whatever. Not that System Recovery removes the user data, but you can't take the risk. There's always a small risk something goes wrong, although this proces is fairly safe.

A real manual uninstall would require manual deletion of the program files - typically in C:\Program Files\Samsung PLUS all the registry entries installed by the installer. This is the tricky part. You could search the registry for all occurences of 'samsung' and remove all those keys and values, but then you certainly must know what you are doing. If this is unfamiliar ground for you, I would strongly advice not to go that way.

Anyway, these advices are given without any warranty ;-)

good luck

e-

Old 21-07-2009, 07:11 AM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonstorm View Post
FIRST CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT BEFORE ANY OF THIS, I take no responsibility for anything going wrong:

Try removing some of the individual components first so you at least get some of it off cleanly. They are called: "PC Connectivity Suite" "Samsung PC Studio 7", "SamsungConnectivityCableDriver" and "Windows Driver Package - Nokia".

Try searching for the main registry settings for the software, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Samsung" and the remaining uninstall strings under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall", export each and then delete them. That may fool the new installer that the old version is no longer present.

Old 22-07-2009, 02:14 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I had/have the exact same problem. Luckily I own 2 pcs so I installed it on the other one. However, after installing the new firmware I can tell you that the phone still sucks. I haven't noticed any improvements at all. And the browser is at a new level of unstableness(is that a word?). After rafe did the story on browser speed and I did some testing on my own I can tell you that my i8910 is SLOW. Slower than my n95 8gb sometimes. So yeah, I hate samsung to.

Old 22-07-2009, 06:23 AM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
I had/have the exact same problem. Luckily I own 2 pcs so I installed it on the other one. However, after installing the new firmware I can tell you that the phone still sucks. I haven't noticed any improvements at all. And the browser is at a new level of unstableness(is that a word?). After rafe did the story on browser speed and I did some testing on my own I can tell you that my i8910 is SLOW. Slower than my n95 8gb sometimes. So yeah, I hate samsung to.
What version firmware did you get updated to?

Old 22-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I8910xxig2
Ads

Old 24-07-2009, 07:05 PM

nzb is on a distinguished road
to uninstall old version of PC Studio crab

I had the same issue while trying to uninstall the old version. Then I used the installer from the original CD. Going through the options it will give you a chance to remove the old version, and guess what..........it worked

Old 26-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Profit2U is on a distinguished road
I've had a similar problem - what worked for me was the run the Nokia PC Suite Cleaner 7.1.1

You can find it on the Nokia site.

Once I ran this cleaner I could install the latest version of the Samsung PC Studio without any problems.....

Old 30-07-2009, 11:38 AM

jure-slo is on a distinguished road
I've tried like everything, deleted all the registry entries with samsung, deleted all the files, everything.

And no success, the PC Studio still somehow finds out that the previous version is installed.

Frustrating.

Any help?

Old 30-07-2009, 01:07 PM

alex25 is on a distinguished road
Have you tried to start the old setup routine you used for the installation? (the old one, not the new one) Then you should have an uninstall option.
That worked for me.

Old 31-07-2009, 05:15 AM

jure-slo is on a distinguished road
Thanks Alex, that worked for me, sort of

I ran the installer from previous version. Although it didn't install anything, I got the remove option in the control panel.

After that I could install the new version.

The only catch is I have to connect the phone to a different USB port now.

Guess I deleted to many "samsung" entries in the registry.

BTW: The software updater is the same version and still doesn't recognize my phone. So new version of PC studio is not the problem solver for not being able to install firmware updates. Guess we just have to wait bit more.

Thanks,
Jure

Old 08-08-2009, 07:52 PM

eske is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem not being able to uninstall the older version

but used Revo uninstaller (google it) and it did the job

it takes a system restore, uninstalls and picks bits out of the registry

sorted now

but really samsung ... removing your software shouldn't be like trying to pick out a veruca