All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Streamlining the upgrade to custom firmwares on the Samsung i8910 HD

Stuart Clark and Steve Litchfield detail a couple of possible workflows for minimising the downtime when upgrading HX firmwares on the Samsung i8910 HD - nearly everything gets wiped, so it's best to be well prepared. We show you how we do it... Our record is 38 minutes, from spotting an update to finishing re-installing the last core application. No pain, no gain, I know, but at least this way you can be methodical about it!

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Nice! I'm waiting for Hyperx's new version 8 coming this weekend for the i8910, and will drop a few American George Washingtons (sorry, no Benjamins, Donald Trump I'm not) into the 'donate' box.

I just wish the music player was less clunky, but it's a small quibble. That's what my iPod and Zune are really for.

Anyway, funniest thing here is that Steve Litchfield, Symbian enthusiast, uses a Macbook. Nothing wrong with it, of course, as I'm also in the market for a new laptop, and I'm looking hard at the 13-inch MB Pro...

(They say, 'once you go Mac, you never go back'.

Just not sure how well it'll play with my i8910 and an old E66. Also, I'm wondering if the N8 will have an iSync plug-in; I know Nokia was many weeks late with an iSync plug in for the N97.)

Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
With a 3rd party plug-in from novamedia, the i8910 HD plays very well with iSync 8-) As does E66.

N8 might be a week or two though, yes. Hopefully no longer.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Unregistered

Great tips for getting back up and running quickly. However, I'm reluctant to upgrade any further as each time I do I end up having to re-download all my Spotify off-line tracks, using up all my download limit! Can't see a way around this!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Steve/Stuart, Perhaps a link to HyperX's site should be added to the article? Just for the few who don't know what it is.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 AM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
I'm suprised not a mention of auto-installers... That's where I get all my time saving
shame we still have to move, setup our folders manually though. As that's where I lose all my time....

ut.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
A bit of a belated query but the one problem I have is with bookmarks for Web. Yes, I know about and use Opera link for Opera Mobile but some sites are better with Web. Is there a way to save and restore those bookmarks?

Yes. Both Nokia and Samsung PC suite will give the option to back up bookmarks during a normal backup session.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 11-08-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Ads