All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-12-2004, 03:05 PM

Ari9500 is on a distinguished road
Question 9500 Wifi - Sorry If This Is A Repeat

Hi,

I'm playing around with the Wifi on the 9500 and have come across a few problems.

I have purchased a USB2.0 Planet Wireless adapter. The software that comes with it is great because I can make it an access point for the 9500 and it automatically bridges my lan adapter which is connected to Broadband.

The problems I've come across are the following, keep in mind I have tried the settings with a WEP key and leaving the access point open.

1. When I go to "Web" then type in an address, if I select "Easy WLAN" and click "Connect", it shows my access point and I select "connect" again. At the top right of the screen it says it's "connected" and the "w" shows on the left but after a few seconds the error message comes up "Internet: Could not find specified Internet server".

I have found that to solve this I need to create the access point first and input an IP address, subnet, gateway and primary and secondary dns which corresponds to my wired network. Then when I go to "Web" I select the access point I have created and the WiFi works 100%

2. When I'm in public and I pickup an access point that is "open" according to the 9500 and try connect via the 1st step i.e "Easy WLAN", the same thing happens as mentioned in point 1.

Now obviously I don't know the IP address range of the access point trying to connect to or the gateway, so how do i get WiFi to work on open public access points?

Thanks
Ari

Old 20-12-2004, 03:48 PM

TheJoker is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari9500
Hi,

I'm playing around with the Wifi on the 9500 and have come across a few problems.

I have purchased a USB2.0 Planet Wireless adapter. The software that comes with it is great because I can make it an access point for the 9500 and it automatically bridges my lan adapter which is connected to Broadband.

The problems I've come across are the following, keep in mind I have tried the settings with a WEP key and leaving the access point open.

1. When I go to "Web" then type in an address, if I select "Easy WLAN" and click "Connect", it shows my access point and I select "connect" again. At the top right of the screen it says it's "connected" and the "w" shows on the left but after a few seconds the error message comes up "Internet: Could not find specified Internet server".

I have found that to solve this I need to create the access point first and input an IP address, subnet, gateway and primary and secondary dns which corresponds to my wired network. Then when I go to "Web" I select the access point I have created and the WiFi works 100%

2. When I'm in public and I pickup an access point that is "open" according to the 9500 and try connect via the 1st step i.e "Easy WLAN", the same thing happens as mentioned in point 1.

Now obviously I don't know the IP address range of the access point trying to connect to or the gateway, so how do i get WiFi to work on open public access points?

Thanks
Ari
Ari,

I don't really understand what it is that you do to get connected, but I've had some problems connecting my 9500 to my workstation.
Please see: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=31550

Are you running your USB network adapter to the 9500 in Ad-Hoc mode (not Infrastructure that requires an Access Point)?

I seem to have some problems with the DNS, I can ping the 9500 from the workstation, and I can open web pages on the 9500 if I use IP-numbers instead of text addresses.
Ads

Old 20-12-2004, 03:59 PM

I'm running the USB adapter in Infrastructure mode and my WiFi works 100% if I create the acces spoint on my 9500 and manually put in an IP address and DNS servers for my ISP

The problem I'm having is connecting without these settings ie Public Access Points where I do not know the settings.

Hope that helps

Old 21-12-2004, 01:42 PM

liaonet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari9500
I'm running the USB adapter in Infrastructure mode and my WiFi works 100% if I create the acces spoint on my 9500 and manually put in an IP address and DNS servers for my ISP

The problem I'm having is connecting without these settings ie Public Access Points where I do not know the settings.

Hope that helps
If you are at a public place and wish to use a public access point then use the Easy-WLAN profile and it all works like magic you do not need to specify any settings in advance.

Now if it is not a truley public access point then connect using easy wlan then use the connection manager to find out the ip address range and then create your access point with likely gateway and a higher IP address than the one you saw in connection manager and off you go.

Last edited by liaonet; 21-12-2004 at 01:45 PM.

Old 22-12-2004, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liaonet
If you are at a public place and wish to use a public access point then use the Easy-WLAN profile and it all works like magic you do not need to specify any settings in advance.

Now if it is not a truley public access point then connect using easy wlan then use the connection manager to find out the ip address range and then create your access point with likely gateway and a higher IP address than the one you saw in connection manager and off you go.
Brilliant idea, dunno why I didn't think of it. Will give it a go and give some feedback.

Old 23-12-2004, 07:09 PM

Unhappy

When I checked the IP address it was in the 169.0.0.1 range on a public access point. So I came home and tested out what IP address my 9500 was given when i removed the manual ip address and it was also in the 169.0.0.1 range when infact my network is running in the 10.0.0.1 range

Next suggestion?