All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-05-2003, 07:13 AM

Opera is default browser?

Hi Guys.
I got the P800, and I've tried the defualt browser (The pre-built one). it doesn't work very well with lot's of sites.

So I downloaded the Opera browser (from the opera site) which works much much better.
So I have basically two questions -

1. Was the original browser written by opera? that's what I heard people say, but it doesn't make sense, because they work differently.
2. Is there a way to make the opera browser the default? (so when I click on a link in an e-mail, it can be opened in the opera browser?).

Oh, and another thing. How can I delete a bookmark in the opera browser??? this is very confusing...

Cheers,

M.

Old 19-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Hi,

This should have been posted in the P800 forum, not Symbian gaming..

Anyways,
1) To my knowledge, the built-in browser was not made by Opera, but I think it was meant to have Opera built-in, that's why SE offered the Opera browser as a free download.
2) Unfortunatly you cannot make Opera the default browser, because since the default browser is in the ROM memory, it cannot be replaced. If you want to open an e-mail link in Opera, simply copy the link and paste it in Opera.
3) Just tap on the little green icon to the left of the bookmark to highlight and delete it.

Cheers
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 21-05-2003, 10:53 AM

Cheers, mate. Very helpful.

This IS the P800 board, not a gaming one ;-)

M.

Old 21-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

:microwave: Hmm, when I replied to the post it was in the Symbian gaming forum.. :fadein:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 21-05-2003, 09:52 PM

Me is on a distinguished road
You can also change the Icon of the Browser on the Top menu and replace it with the opera Icon, this way at least you save yourself one step,

Old 29-05-2003, 07:36 PM

opera browser

i downloaded and installed opera browser, but somehow it wont seem to work, what settings are needed for it to work using gprs?
thanks!

Old 30-05-2003, 06:03 PM

The Mus is on a distinguished road
Hey Guest,

I am having similar troubles with you, but Opera worked on my P800 for a while before dying on me. Tried re-installing it - nothing. Really strange since default browser works fine. Still messing with it, but any suggestions greatly appreciated!!! :-?

Old 26-06-2003, 09:11 AM

aCiDByTe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
You can also change the Icon of the Browser on the Top menu and replace it with the opera Icon, this way at least you save yourself one step,
How do you replace the functions/icons on the Top Menu to other applications ?

Old 26-06-2003, 12:53 PM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Re: opera browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
i downloaded and installed opera browser, but somehow it wont seem to work, what settings are needed for it to work using gprs?
thanks!
Make sure that your 'preferred internet' in Control Panel - Connections is set to a WEB account not a WAP one, e.g. Vodafone GPRS WEB.

That should largely be it.
As long as your service provider has correctly set up the account on both your phone and SIM, then there should be no further problems.

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 26-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCiDByTe
How do you replace the functions/icons on the Top Menu to other applications ?
In the Applications menu - View - Preferences.

Next time, RTFM.