All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 AM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Water damaged N80

I am clearly quite the idiot (I would much like to use a stronger word here). My phone is 3 weeks old and already I have spilt a tall glass of ice cold evian on it.

Initially the phone worked fine once I had dried it off, the only problem was a water mark under the screen. But after an hour it was starting to slip away from me. The 4 button kept on holding down, but then delete the 4444... (as if the red button was pressed), which makes me think it isnt nessecarily the 4 button, but it don't accept that as fact.

Now the phone won't get past the first frame of the nokia hand shake welcome video without freezing. I have a feeling its just a little confused about me wanting to dial 4444... I can still hear the keypress tone repeating from the speaker.

After hair drying it, and leaving it over night wrapped in paper town roll (kitchen towl roll) the water under the screen has diminished, but the 4444... thing still remains, and I cannot get to the standby screen. I am unsure whether to take it to the O2 store and demand they replace my defective phone, or try and rectify it myself with a cotton bud and a screw driver. Baring in mind that O2 might be able to pick up on the water damage, although it has been raining a lot recently.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I had everything down for you guys. I am just so angry with myself for doing it too, I am planning on banning liquids from anywhere near me.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:20 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Good bye guarantee!!! And maybe, good bye phone... Excuse me, but is exactly thus.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7
Good bye guarantee!!! And maybe, good bye phone... Excuse me, but is exactly thus.
Anyone want to be more constructive?

Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 AM

LesLesleyson is on a distinguished road
If you are on contract then surely you've got insurance?

Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Water damages electrical components because as the currant runs through the water damaged circuits it erodes the electrical contacts, and creates additional contacts because you are creating an electro plating situation (not a great one but enough to create a short circuit). you maybe able to open it up (I think there is a guide in this forum somewhere), and use a brush and some turps or alcohol, best thing would be go to an electric component store like Maplin and get some component cleaner in aerosol form and blast it, should do the job, I have done this many times on water damaged electronics.

Obviously you will void your warrante though

you should have damage insurance, if not then I am sure you have lost/theft insurance, .... so you may have 3 ways to claim, that is if you either "loose or have the phone stolen"....

Maybe worth checking with O2, but maybe get a friend to check what the insurance covers because if you give them your name they will have this on record for when you decide if you want to claim or not

Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You could try taking it back and see what they say.

However as with any elctronics there is only so much you can do. You can do a Google search, the same advice applies to phones as for most other things. Dry off as you can. If thats not good take apart and wash out with ionised water.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 AM

I was just thinking about that. I didn't buy the insurance, i'm only a student and I've never broken a phone before in my life. I'm wondering if i could buy insurance now, and claim on it

Old 08-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleskin
I was just thinking about that. I didn't buy the insurance, i'm only a student and I've never broken a phone before in my life. I'm wondering if i could buy insurance now, and claim on it

you could take out insurance now, but obviously wait a couple of weeks before you claim, otherwise they will get suspicious

Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 AM

Thanks Cash and Rafe, I was really hoping you guys would be around.

I think my plan of attack would be to go to the O2 store and ask what it would cost for them to repair it, I imagine nothing short of my soul. The only problem then is they may acknowledge it in some way on the system and saying it is lost/stolen would be tricky.

I like the idea of opening it up, it appeals to my geeky side, and I dont have to be without a phone for a week. Tho I think my closest maplins is a bit of a stretch from here. I did see the disection guide on the forum.

I was kinda hoping cos it was evian, it was cleaner than most water, since it is not mineral. Maybe I need to buy a protective cover too :(

Old 08-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks Cash and Rafe, I was really hoping you guys would be around.

I think my plan of attack would be to go to the O2 store and ask what it would cost for them to repair it, I imagine nothing short of my soul. The only problem then is they may acknowledge it in some way on the system and saying it is lost/stolen would be tricky.

I like the idea of opening it up, it appeals to my geeky side, and I dont have to be without a phone for a week. Tho I think my closest maplins is a bit of a stretch from here. I did see the disection guide on the forum.

I was kinda hoping cos it was evian, it was cleaner than most water, since it is not mineral. Maybe I need to buy a protective cover too :(
Its not the quality of water that creates the initial damage, its the small electrical currant that runs through your phone and through the water, the water then acts as a connection and you start to get the short circuits and the corrosion.

If you take the phone to O2 and ask them then they will probably log it, then you are f*cked then if you want to take out insurance later, in fact they would probably deny you insurance if they know the phone has already been damaged.

If it was me I would take the thing apart ..Like you I like to take things apart and have a fiddle ..

Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah its one of those tricky situations... you can never be sure. In case it wasn't clear when cleaning you should take everything out of the phone that you can (battery / memory card / sim card etc.)

Oh and yes meant de-ionised (not ionised - oops) water (and Cash is probably right turps might be better - I'm not an expert here).

Basically you are looking to remove anything that may be causing problems. However I wouldn't be too hopeful as this sort of thing is best done straight away.

Getting and then claiming insurance isn't a great idea as this would be illegal. Obviously it's your decision though.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 AM

what you are aiming to do when cleaning is to remove the "newly created" contacts that the water has made in conjunction with the electrical currant, I think you will find that the phone will work after you have cleaned it as long as the shorts didnt damage any of the processors, but in my experience this is very rare.

I would prefer to get proper electrical component cleaner as I said before, but yes turps or alcohol will work, actually methylated spirits or alcohol would be better than turps because this is self drying and evaporates, but turps will probably do the job, but not the best, dont get the cleaner on the screens or the display

Last edited by Cash; 08-07-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Ads

Old 08-07-2006, 11:55 AM

Cool, well im going to the O2 store in the next hour, and see how it goes from there.... you would have thought a phone would survive spot of rain wouldn't you?...

Failing spiriling repair prices, a trip to maplin sounds much more fun. Would you reccomend cotton buds to clean the contacts? or something more profesional?

On the up side, the screen is now clear of water, I used my laptop as a radiator, cleared quite fast. I also gave my debit card company a ring, was just a desperate measure incase for whatever reason they did decide they can cover me, like on most credit cards.

I guess this is going to be a week of life lessons.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Cool, well im going to the O2 store in the next hour, and see how it goes from there.... you would have thought a phone would survive spot of rain wouldn't you?...

Failing spiriling repair prices, a trip to maplin sounds much more fun. Would you reccomend cotton buds to clean the contacts? or something more profesional?

On the up side, the screen is now clear of water, I used my laptop as a radiator, cleared quite fast. I also gave my debit card company a ring, was just a desperate measure incase for whatever reason they did decide they can cover me, like on most credit cards.

I guess this is going to be a week of life lessons.
Hmm..if you bought on a credit card then I think you may be covered, but not a debit card, so that may be an option.

In maplins you can get an aerosol can of component cleaner, you spray it on and it cleans and evaporates almost imediately, its a high power aerosol so should clean anything without the need to clean with anything else, but I would get a small soft paintbrush from B@Q and give it a little brush with that, but you probably wont need to.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM

Well I spoke to O2 and they did confirm that it would cost the approximate value of my sole to fix. However, the guy, who should remain nameless, was suprisingly helpful and said go to the Nokia repair store which is just down the road, and say "it broke, don't mention you got it rained on" ... heh... rain...

Unfortunatly they are closed til monday. O2 said it would cost £25 to repair the phone at Nokia repair store and should do it straight away. My only conundrum now is whether to pay that £25 and wait a few days, or fix it now for cheaper, but voiding the warrenty. Also if the Nokia repair store want to charge me more, it may be harder to get the residue off after so long, myself.

And on another thought, (I understand you guys are software not hardware people, but this is definatly got the most people around) but might the water seals on my phone be noticed?

Thank you again, everyone