All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-06-2007, 07:22 AM

captdan is on a distinguished road
N95 battery getting better as time goes by???

Odd but the first day I used the phone my battery died very fast. I may have had the wifi seeking a connection… don’t know but the phone died some 4 hrs later.

Then today I spent the day with the phone.. yea, that sounds odd, but here is the day: Golfed in the morning and had the phone on standby. ( worried it would die). Then went to a local bar with wifi and connected to the net. Did some browsing and email. The bar is located in the beach so I took some photos and sent them to friends via the phone using my hotmail account. Worked great. ( still cannot connect to my pop3 account).

Ok, listened to the MP3 tunes to and from the golf course, bar and back to the condo. All the time I used the bluetooth connection and an ear phone connection ( one thing I don’t like is that when I get a call or make one I then need to push the “play” soft key on the phone to make the music start again – seems that should be on auto after the call hangs up).

So, I get to the condo after a day’s use and the darn phone as 5 bars of power left! Not bad… battery getting better? Perhaps it was not charged all the way when new???

Old 14-06-2007, 08:01 AM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
I think this is normal.

It usually takes a few charge/discharge cycles for a battery to reach full capacity.
maybe someone who knows a bit more about chemistry can explain in more detail....

ut.

Old 14-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
Mine has got better as the first week has gone on, which is natural for a battery. However, turning 3G off, and reducing the WiFi power levels have definately aided this. It will easily last 2 days now under normal useage.

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 14-06-2007, 10:04 AM

FairCold is on a distinguished road
what model of battery that you used?

Old 14-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairCold View Post
what model of battery that you used?
Just the standard 950mAh one in mine......

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 14-06-2007, 02:34 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I think this is more in the mind of the user that actual improvement. It stands to reason that in the first few weeks of owning a new phone (especially a gadget packed one like the N95) you are gonna use it a lot. I think I've just settled into 'normal' use now so the battery is lasting longer.

Old 14-06-2007, 04:03 PM

superswede is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
I think this is more in the mind of the user that actual improvement. It stands to reason that in the first few weeks of owning a new phone (especially a gadget packed one like the N95) you are gonna use it a lot. I think I've just settled into 'normal' use now so the battery is lasting longer.
Not true. Li-ion batteries actually does improve after some charge cycles. In the beginning it does not reach battery's full capacity before it stops charging. It's a "learning" cycle.
I noticed a major improvement on my N95 after a few weeks. I'm still "playing around" and it lasts a lot longer.

And for thoose of you who are used to completely discharge the battery before recharge: Does not apply for Li-ion batteries, you can charge at any state, does not effect the battery life cycle .

Old 14-06-2007, 09:41 PM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
I initially got a spare second 1000 mAh battery and that was a not a Nokia and even after a weeks use it ran down pretty quickly. I then changed back to the Nokia 950 mAh battery because the 'bigger' one ran out on a flight.

The Nokia battery is lasting much longer than the other one, and has definitely improved over time.

Regards,

John

Old 15-06-2007, 09:00 AM

spendleb is on a distinguished road
Same here, now lasts for 2 days with a fair bit of use but have noticed that when it goes it goes fast! It can drop from 5 bars to none in less than an hour!

Old 15-06-2007, 09:12 AM

timh is on a distinguished road
Mine's got better - but only after about 2-3 weeks!

Initially I was having to plug the thing in at work because it died in the middle of the day, and now with the same level of use (45 mins of radio/mp3 on the way to work, podcast download + listening at work for about an hour in the mornings) it stays on 5 bars til lunchtime.

Certainly still couldn't make it for much longer than about 30 hours without charging though - seems to go from 3 to 0 very quickly.
Ads