All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia N97 - Polarising opinion still

There's something outrageously different about the Nokia N97 (or is it outrageously the same?) that utterly polarises opinion, on both sides of the world. The Really Mobile Project's Ben Smith and James Whatley seem completely divided here on video (and embedded below), while Engadget Mobile's Chris Ziegler and Thomas Ricker seem equally polarised in print, right here. Sigh. Whatever happened to peace and love? Or maybe the N97 is a 'Marmite' smartphone that you either love or hate?

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Unregistered

Marmite? At that price more like caviar.....

Old 23-06-2009, 09:00 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
I am not normally rude but the bloke in the glasses is a complete d**k

I have never known any problems with using the 5800 resistive touchscreen, it is the best resistive screen I have used. Most reports say the N97 is better than that.

I would put money on that bloke having an iPhone in his pocket.

Old 23-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

Rock.

@Yade,

I know *many* people (personally) who say the 5800's touchscreen is poor, not to mention the large amount complaining on the internet as well.

Saying that the 5800's is the best resistive touchscreen you've ever had is a bit like saying "Syphilis is the best STD I've ever had" - it's still bad.

And yes, he does have an iPhone in his pocket. That's the perfect example of how a touchscreen should feel and behave.

Old 23-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Solnyshok is on a distinguished road
There is no doubt that N97 has evoked strong emotions. Both positive and negative. The question is how it is going to affect its sales.

I think it'll bust.

Old 23-06-2009, 09:56 AM
E90

N97

This confirms what I feared. Symbian by default is very difficult to set up if you've never used it before. Moreover, this 5th edition , at the core, is the same as the previous versions of non touch UI: menus, in sub menus and other menus. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Symbian to WM, I have both an E90 and E70, but the N97 has not yet reached maturity. For a price like that you expect it to perform. It is 750 euros where I live and when you shell out that much you want something stellar. Nokia has missed it, again like with the N95 8GB. I hope they are not too late to the party when they decide to drop Symbian for their touch UI.

Old 23-06-2009, 10:03 AM
JKA

N97 vs IPhone

Ohhh, nice. Where was the Steve Balmer with WinMo? He was missing in this funny fight. Every system has its own. Iphone is for fun and N97 is for bussines. Why everyone needs a perfect device that is absolute ideal. This fights are needless. These devices are designed for different markets. Iphone is an amazing device for gaming, watching videos and surfing on the web, but at this point all good is ending for iphone. And N97 is a all-in-one device. It can be used for more than iphone, but with resistive display and not fully optimized operating system for touches (native) it is only like substitution. But I think that N97 is a total winner in this battle, because iphone is only a children game.

JKA

Old 23-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Mr Mark

And you know...

...they're both right.

The principle here is called appropriation: the emphasis on the tools one uses to construct one's social reality.

Old 23-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

What exactly is wrong with the 5800 or resistive touch screens? You touch it, and it detects your touch and responds. It can even do handwriting recognition with a stylus. It's damn good on the 5800, but there will always be dimwits who can't cope. Unfortunately the 5800 touch screen has not yet been optimized sufficiently to turn water into wine, but possibly by the next firmware update that feature will be included.

Old 23-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

R M P - Ben Smith

The guy with with the glasses, what a complete and utter numptie !!

Closet Apple Fanboy I think !

Old 23-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
...they're both right.

The principle here is called appropriation: the emphasis on the tools one uses to construct one's social reality.

I so hope you are being sarcastic. No normal human would talk like that.

Old 23-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Unregistered

@E90
The problem isn't with the underlying Symbian operating system, the problem is with Nokia-owned S60 UI.

Do you think that swapping Symbian out for another OS is going to solve Nokia's UI problems? You'll still have the same people designing the UI!

Old 23-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What exactly is wrong with the 5800 or resistive touch screens? .....
Unfortunately the 5800 touch screen has not yet been optimized sufficiently to turn water into wine, but possibly by the next firmware update that feature will be included.
Neither has the 5800 touch screen been optimised to implement multitouch resembling features.

Old 23-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Who cares about the dickhead..look at the girl..what a babe..if she's selling the N97, I'm buying;-)
Ads

Old 23-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
Neither has the 5800 touch screen been optimised to implement multitouch resembling features.
Oh dear. My heart is broken, I don't know if I will be able to go on now, having learned that news, but I'll try. It is devestating to suddenly discover that my phone is utterly unusable.

Jeez what a bunch of anals. So, no multi-touch; what do I need to do that I can't do because of that? In fact why the hell do I want to stand like a geek and operate my phone with two hands when just a single thumb is sufficient?

However did you people survive all those years without multi-touch? Another solution without a problem that makes the phone operation worse. Talk about emperors new clothes.