All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM

jonny_j is on a distinguished road
5800 firmware and language

hi all, i'm sure this has been asked before, unfortunatly i'm very new to this area and had little luck finding any answers by searching the forums (as im not overly sure what im looking for!) so i apologise for any repetition and appreciate any help you may be able to give me;

i own a nokia 5800 xm with the current version of the uk firmware (as of 9th Aug 09) from vodafone. my problem concerns getting my phone to understand japanese characters (katakana and kanji) i understand that as my phone was sold in the uk it does not have this language installed, yet the hong kong versions of the phone have both. i emailed nokia offering to pay to have my phones language upgraded to contain both as this is clearly possible and recieved a surprisingly unhelpfull reply stating that this was impossible and directing my to a 'nokia mobile dictionary' app which once installed was useless as i dont have the japanese characters on my phone!

i have read online that some people have been able to 'deauthorize' their phones so that they are able to obtain hong kong firmware; would this allow me to replace my language folder with those used by the HK phones? also if this were possible would my phone still work in the uk?

if not does any one know of a way in which i would be able to replace this folder or otherwise install the japanese written languages to the phone? i have read that you can obtain japanese script folders and store them on the memory card, but that this means you cannot use the usb cable at the same time as having the memory card in - not very helpful for a music fone!

if anyone can help or has any ideas that i dont know about please help as it really is a pain having to search the internet using google translate and recieving emails in squares! i am a final year student of japanese at uni and head out to see family every 18 months or so so this is a big part of my life, if anyone can hlp it will be greatly appreciated!

many thanks!
Ads