All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
v2.1 FW causing video playback problems?

I saw a post on the Nokia Conversations which reported problems with the video player since the v2.1 firmware update.

They reported at after a while the video would stop and the audio would continue.

Trying it out on three videos that have always worked before, I found that my RM-507 with v2.1 also exhibits this problem.

It also does it if you try to randomly select on the playback scrubber to seek a position deeper in the video.

GEE WHIZ NOKIA!

Last edited by rdcinhou; 13-02-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Old 13-02-2010, 03:22 AM

mobilephil is on a distinguished road
sorry but i watched a two hour film yesterday no problems at all !!!!
Ads

Old 13-02-2010, 05:37 AM

What format was the film and what RM-??? model is your N97? Mine is RM-507 WHITE NAM.

The three videos that I tested were .mp4's, converted by the first version of Ovi Suite, ~80 MB each, which had all previously played back flawlessly on the N97 under the earlier firmware revisions.

Playeris the default Real Player.

Clip details are:

Format: video/x-hx-avc1
Resolution: 320 x 184
Bitrate: 265 kbit/s

Of the three videos test they show durations of 13:48, 13:07 and 15:29. Video playback stops at 3:06, 2:30, 2:31 respectively.

Last edited by rdcinhou; 13-02-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Old 13-02-2010, 07:04 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
None of my videos played after the V2.1 update, all had the same symptoms as you described, video cutting out after a few seconds, and sorry, but i'm not technically minded enough to know the format/bizrate etc.

However after doing a full "vulcan death grip" reset it corrected itself and i've not had any problems since.

I don't think i did anything wrong when i did the update but i had loaded a lot of no good apps and deleted them prior to the update, but i'm never sure that deleting them takes the app out completely, maybe there is always something that gets left behind ?

I know that i should at some point format the e drive to make sure every little bug i've accidentally downloaded is got rid of, but ............ ppffffffff, it's a big job

Old 13-02-2010, 12:33 PM

The video data can be found inside the RealPlayer application (Options->View Details).

Your apparent clearing of the problem with a VDG (Vulcan Death Grip) reset implies that it is some other program that causes the problem.

I will experiment with uninstalling and rebooting the two other video playback programs (Youtube & DivX Player) to see if this clears it.

Old 13-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Nothing "apparent" about it RDC

Tried all the obvious solutions first, uninstalling the last couple of apps i'd loaded, rebooting, taking out the battery (soft reset) - deleting the videos and re-installing them before i gave up and did the VDG

This hasn't happened to everyone who has updated to V2.1, so i doubt it's something to do with Nokia or the update, more perhaps to do with what we've loaded recently that it doesn't like, maybe even a theme

Old 13-02-2010, 01:34 PM

On Nokia Support Discussions there are at least two other people who noticed this--one with an N97 and one with an N97 mini.

That's why I went and tested mine.

Incidentally, the videos that I've shot with my N97 (mp4v-es format) all play back without incident.

In troubleshooting so far I've tried...

1. Uninstalling DivX player, rebooting .... failed on playback
2. Uninstalling Youtube, rebooting .... failed on playback
3. Uninstalled Skyfire, rebooting .... failed on playback

I have a couple of other programs to try which have video "hooks", but it looks like I'll end up doing the VDG and reinstalling everything (which makes about the 10th time to do this since I received it July 2009).

Old 15-02-2010, 10:05 AM

ashg77 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I've too have experienced this problem. From my experimentation I believe the problem exists with the v2.1 firmware playing videos converted by the Ovi Suite.

To confirm this I converted a source file using both the Ovi Suite and Format Factory. The converted file from Ovi suite fails to play correctly. After a few minutes of audio and video playback, the video freezes and the video continues. However the converted file from Format Factory works fine.

I haven't tried any hard resets on the phone.

Old 15-02-2010, 12:04 PM

No, that isn't the case for me .... i don't use OVI suite at all