All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-06-2004, 03:57 AM

sinox is on a distinguished road
Question Low Battery life

I've bought my 6600 about 4 days ago, but I've experienced that it has high battery consumption.

This is what I did yesterday:

I recharged the battery for the 4th time at about 3 PM.
Then I had about 2 calls maximum 15 mins for all
I had 33 pic messages from one of my friends
I used the camera for about 5-6 photos (in the dark, night mode)
I used some of my apps. for about 10 minutes
And now it's 8:30 AM, and my battery is down 2 units! (Just above half)

I must note that my battery is a Chinese BL-5C Lion battery.

Any clues why my battery went down so soon!

I checked out the Nokia website and it said:

> 2-4 hours talktime

> 130-240 hours Standby time

Also I don't have any screensaver,powerlock or Smart Launcher software installed.

Guys, plz would you give me a hand with this problem. I'm starting to get pissed off with what I bought for a lot of money. My previous Samsung T400 lasted about 3 days while talking about 30 mins a day!

Thanx guys :?

Old 20-06-2004, 04:52 AM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinox
I've bought my 6600 about 4 days ago, but I've experienced that it has high battery consumption.

This is what I did yesterday:

I recharged the battery for the 4th time at about 3 PM.
Then I had about 2 calls maximum 15 mins for all
I had 33 pic messages from one of my friends
I used the camera for about 5-6 photos (in the dark, night mode)
I used some of my apps. for about 10 minutes
And now it's 8:30 AM, and my battery is down 2 units! (Just above half)

I must note that my battery is a Chinese BL-5C Lion battery.

Any clues why my battery went down so soon!

I checked out the Nokia website and it said:

> 2-4 hours talktime

> 130-240 hours Standby time

Also I don't have any screensaver,powerlock or Smart Launcher software installed.

Guys, plz would you give me a hand with this problem. I'm starting to get pissed off with what I bought for a lot of money. My previous Samsung T400 lasted about 3 days while talking about 30 mins a day!

Thanx guys :?
I talked to both my provider (T-Mobile USA), and NOKIA USA about the battery and power management on this phone. Neither of them had a clue. A lot of common devices have the power management unit in the batter and some keep it on the device. I had a new batter sent to me because my phone would kill the battery w/o warning. I checked both of them w/ FExplorer and the bad one always says (25%) while the better one always says (57%)....this has been in a couple of different phones too. So I'm thinking either FExplorer is using a static value based on some battery identifier or, the batter has the power management unit (since it's different for each battery it's not just the phone) and it needs to be calibrated/reset and it isn't. Often the deep discharge/recharge can get you a calibration in 4 goes, but I don't know.

I think the 33 pic messages did it (I was guessing multimedia, but if they were picture then it wouldn't) since GPRS or MMS probably eats your battery like making a call and you can't have GPRS that fast unless you have a great provider. The battery is probably fine from the standpoint of where it was made as long as it wasn't used and hadn't been shelved for too long. I don't know when the BL-5C went into production so that might be the problem. If I took out the pic messages and went on your usuage w/ my phone I would say I get more battery life, but then you still have 2 units and who knows how accurate that guage is.

I think there's a hack or something that gives percentage I just don't recall. Try deep cycling it one more time and not using GPRS for too long also reset your counters.

Old 20-06-2004, 03:16 PM

Yeah,

It would be better if there where percentages instead of bars!

I asked a friend who has a 3650 and he said that the bars aren't really accurate. He said just pay attention to two specific bars: One the tope full charged bar and the other the last bottom bar! The other bars are nothing to count on!

And something else: I've experienced that rebooting or turning on/off your 6600 consumes a lot of battery power! Which in my case I imagine I teurned the handset on and off a couple of times.

But about the pic messages: They're not something that would take half of you battery! (They were ordinary picture msgs.)

Anyway, I went to the store and told them that this is a faulty battery, and since I became friends with the guy previously upon purchase (Just goes to prove friendship is Great!), he exchanged the Chinese battery with a Hungarian BL-C5. Just have to see how this battery goes!

So overall the following would be a good result for those guys having the same problem as me:

1. Don't turn on/off your handset, unless you have to, because the startup takes a lot of power

2. The chinese batteries seem to be not that good comparing to the others (the battery charge time is less than the Japanese and Hungarian)

3. 6600 appears to have a high power consumption level (Nothing u can do about it!)

4. Regarding that the 6600 has a TFT screen, I'd imagine that itself would take up a lot of power

5. Don't use screensavers and Powerlock if you're worried about battery consumption like me!

6. Poor reception also has an effect on you battery consumption!

7. Always buy original Nokia enhancements, mine was original but just in case you're thinking of buying those batteris that cost 1/4 of the original battery price (I recall Nokia DiamondPlus or something like that, but it had diamond in it), don't do it, because it's not worth buying them, they will have a shorter life than the original.

8. Remember to turn your BlueTooth off when not in use

9. Turning down the brightness might be useful also!

10. Don't over-charge the battery, because overcharging will reduce your overall battery life!

11. Let the battery get decharged once in a while to restore the battery life. It's a new technology in Sony Battery chargers which they have a Refresh button, and when you press it, all batteries will first get completely decharged and then they get charged. As they say, this can restore the battery life up-to 97%

Hope this solves the problem of other guys who are having the same problem that I had!

Last edited by sinox; 23-06-2004 at 09:01 AM.

Old 20-06-2004, 06:36 PM

Vamp is on a distinguished road
One more to add...

Remember to turn ur Bluetooth off when not using....
Ads

Old 21-06-2004, 08:29 AM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp
One more to add...

Remember to turn ur Bluetooth off when not using....
Add a couple points for that one. You can also drop your brightness and screen saver timeout in >menu>settings>phone>display.
....and always kill the extra running apps

Old 21-06-2004, 04:12 PM

littledude is on a distinguished road
This migt sound stupid but it works

dont over charge the battery if you charge it over nite then the lengh will be lots shorter take the phonr off charge as soon as it says battery full

before i started doin this my batterylasted for 1-2 days now it lasts for 3-4

Old 23-06-2004, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT
Add a couple points for that one. You can also drop your brightness and screen saver timeout in >menu>settings>phone>display.
....and always kill the extra running apps
Even after changing my battery to a Hungarian made on (the prevoius was chinese), I still have less than a day battry life. BTW I installed and uninstalled about a dozen apps. yesterday. So this might also consume a lot of battery.

My brightness is to full. I'll reduce it to see how things go! and update you!

Thnx

Old 25-06-2004, 10:19 AM

The problem is resolved. Thanx guys!

It was with the brightness!