All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-06-2010, 04:55 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
Wifes Got a Desire and it Rocks!

Hi all

My wife has got an HTC Desire and boy am i jealous - simple things like you press an icon and immediately it's opened another page or app! no delay just bang and its ready.

Watching my n97 against it is embarrassing.

I never thought i would like an HTC/android but this thing is quick reliable and with enough customising options to keep anyone happy i could be tempted.

Why was the N97 not like this! It promised to be at least in the same ball park.

I have tried the SPB Shell program on the N97 and that moves it a lot closer but as they say no cigar yet - i would think about lighting it up if Nokia let their programs be installed on the E:Mass Memory not just C:

Lets hope i will get my wish before i get tempted away!!

Old 16-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
hi turtle, thanks for that. I am currently waiting for my returns pack from Vodafone to fianlly get rid of my N97, I will take a look at the Desire

Old 19-06-2010, 07:37 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower View Post
I have tried the SPB Shell program on the N97 and that moves it a lot closer but as they say no cigar yet - i would think about lighting it up if Nokia let their programs be installed on the E:Mass Memory not just C:

Lets hope i will get my wish before i get tempted away!!
You may not be aware of this, but all the Android handsets up to v2.1 can ONLY install apps to C:
The forthcoming v2.2 FW release may fix this (but app vendors may need to recompile their apps to support the function).
You can already achieve this pre 2.2 by rooting your android handset and installing the app2sd app (similar to Nokia FW de-branding and also voids your warranty).

Old 21-06-2010, 11:40 AM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
Thanks dez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
You may not be aware of this, but all the Android handsets up to v2.1 can ONLY install apps to C:
The forthcoming v2.2 FW release may fix this (but app vendors may need to recompile their apps to support the function).
You can already achieve this pre 2.2 by rooting your android handset and installing the app2sd app (similar to Nokia FW de-branding and also voids your warranty).
Thanks for the heads up dez, although I was aware of this - for the wife i dont think it will be a problem - i would have rooted it at the 1st sign of getting close to the limit!

Although the advantage of the Desire's OS is that it has all the basic stuff pre installed eg email. So in general what you install after that is icing on the cake so to speak.

With my N97 before you have had to start adding extras in via software update it is perilous with memory - you shouldn't be thinking what basics can i do without so that the phone functions!

Old 27-06-2010, 10:18 PM

clive6630 is on a distinguished road
Well, i got a desire some months back and was very pleased for a while, coming from an N97 mini to it, as you said made it look a bit cumbersome, however, after some time the simple task of sending text messages and anything that requires using the on screen keyboard became a mojor annoyance. It might just be me, but i just cant get on with touch screen keyboards, the amount of times i nearly just threw it at the floor because i'd walked half a mile in the time it had taken me to text a sentance cos i'd have to erase all the mistakes i'd made. trust me on this, once the honeymoon period wears off you'll be missing yer hardware 'board. Suffice to say that the desire is on the shelf and i'm back on me 97 now. The 97 might be a bit long in the tooth but its easy to live with, bit like comparing an alfa romeo to a vw golf, the alfa may be really exciting, but it'll piss you off too, whereas the gold just gets on with it in a boing kinda way

Old 28-06-2010, 09:50 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive6630 View Post
Well, i got a desire some months back and was very pleased for a while, coming from an N97 mini to it, as you said made it look a bit cumbersome, however, after some time the simple task of sending text messages and anything that requires using the on screen keyboard became a mojor annoyance. It might just be me, but i just cant get on with touch screen keyboards, the amount of times i nearly just threw it at the floor because i'd walked half a mile in the time it had taken me to text a sentance cos i'd have to erase all the mistakes i'd made. trust me on this, once the honeymoon period wears off you'll be missing yer hardware 'board.
You should have bought an Android phone with a hardware keyboard, like the Motorola Milestone. Best of both worlds

I prefer the Milestone keyboard to the N97 and the fact the chassis is metal and the whole thing is thinner is a nice added benefit.