All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-03-2008, 08:13 PM

gsrider is on a distinguished road
Talking N95 Mouse Bluetooth or USB

Does anyone know of a mouse that will work with the Nokia N95 8gb? I see a lot of post about how to turn the phone into a mouse but nothing about connecting a mouse to the N95 to make net surfing easier. I wonder if someone has developed a driver 3rd party app that will work with wireless mouse. I would also like to know if I could connect a mouse using the mini usb hub on the N95? The only thing I have seen is someone said the apple mighty mouse bluetooth mouse works with the n95. I tried the microsoft notebook 5000 bluetooth mouse and it paired but the mouse did not work (obviously no drivers for symbian). I then tried apple's mighty mouse and it also paired but did not work. I was sucessful in getting the Igo Stowaway keyboard to work and I love it. The only thing missing is a mouse to turn my N95 8GB into a mini laptop for on the road. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post (My first Post)

Old 22-03-2008, 07:33 PM

mubde3 is on a distinguished road
Son what did you smoke today ?

Old 22-03-2008, 07:56 PM

sturgeon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubde3 View Post
Son what did you smoke today ?

What is your problem mubde3? Its a serious question.

I would like a bluetooth mouse for the same reason - the stowaway keyboard is superb and a matching mouse would complete the outfit. (My 8" 12v. LCD monitor being the other ingredient that lets me use my N95 on my Yacht - as a chart plotter, as well as a fully functional Multimedia Internet computer with camera and video recorder.)

s.

Old 22-03-2008, 08:26 PM

ez2remember is on a distinguished road
It's a good question/query but sadly doesn't exist yet. I don't think the Apple mouse would work... It's probably just someone having a laugh.

I can see there is a possibility with the emulation of D-Pad but it won't be smooth scrolling like what you'll find on your PC though.

Old 22-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Software issue surely? I get very smooth scrolling from my Stowaway BT keyboard.

s.
Ads

Old 22-03-2008, 11:04 PM

n_s_simpson is on a distinguished road
Just one question... if you've got a yacht surely you can push the boat out and get something known as a tablet/laptop! I can't see it since you've got an LCD display in your yacht so why not ditch that and get a tablet since it'll take up the same amount of room. Why bother buggering around trying to get your N95 to 'work' as a PC?!

Old 22-03-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_s_simpson View Post
Just one question... if you've got a yacht surely you can push the boat out and get something known as a tablet/laptop! I can't see it since you've got an LCD display in your yacht so why not ditch that and get a tablet since it'll take up the same amount of room. Why bother buggering around trying to get your N95 to 'work' as a PC?!

Because it DOES work as a PC (even better - as a PC doesn't have a 5MP camera, video recorder/player, FM radio, PHONE and GPS built in) and it goes wherever I go - in my pocket - unlike a PC, Tablet, Laptop etc. BT keyboard and LCD screen are handy - but not essential.

I persist with it because its a superb convergence device, It works, and I just love what it can do.

s.

Old 23-03-2008, 03:25 AM

The sad thing is that some of the windows mobile phones are all ready running a blue tooth mouse. Microsoft notebook bluetooth mouse pairs easily with windows mobile OS. Guess no one has written the apps/drivers for a symbian bluetooth mouse on the N95 yet. Hmmm, it is really a shame... because the Nokia N95 is really amazingly well built and far superior to anything motorola or most other pc smartphones in my opinion. By contrast symbian seems to lag far behind in software development. I have no idea how difficult it is to make drivers for a symbian bluetooth mouse with our N95. I bet someone right now-somewhere.... is using a bluetooth mouse with an N95 connecting in a way none of us have thought of. (Where's the Geek Squad When U Need Em)

Old 23-03-2008, 10:12 AM

fenomeno83 is on a distinguished road
wmousexp PuppetMaster Niime Mouse(maybe the best)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79xeREnZ_7Q

Last edited by fenomeno83; 23-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 25-03-2008, 02:01 AM

fenomeno83,
No, I don't want to turn the N95 into a mouse, I want to use a mouse with the N95 to go along with the wireless bluetooth keyboard I'm using. Essentially turning the N95 into a mini Laptop for on the road.

Old 25-03-2008, 02:30 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
If you want to use a mouse with your phone, immediately I'd imagine there were two connectivity options available: USB and bluetooth.

I think it was discussed in a previous thread that it was impossible to use the USB port on the N95 as any form of input (e.g. connecting a USB pen with some sort of adapter and use it as extra storage space) so that leaves Bluetooth.

There are a few bluetooth mice out there which're designed for Windows/Mac/Linux so if someone could produce an application which could be installed on the phone to work with the mouse then this could be a viable alternative. The producer of the application would also have to either include a new web browser that works natively with the mouse, or somehow include the option to include it in the N95's built-in browser.

I don't think such an application exists and even if it could be done, it's likely to only mimic the main navigation pad on the phone (simply up, down, left and right, and no diagnonal movements) if it's to work with the built-in browser, so a new browser app would probably have to be included. Another problem is that it would mean you couldn't connect a bluetooth keyboard at the same time, or a headset, or another phone or piece of equipment.

However though it's an interesting concept to say the least, and I dare say a company might even rise up to the challenge in the near future. Heck, we currently have the ability to connect a Wii Remote to the N95 via bluetooth and control it, and maybe this might extend to support the nunchuk as well. For now though, as far as I know, I don't think a mouse is possible. If you have a Wii Remote, maybe you could try that and see how it suits you.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 25-03-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Old 25-03-2008, 03:11 AM

zxon,
Thank you for the great reply. I really appreciate your input and it is evident that you understand the difficulty in usefully pairing the N95 with a bluetooth mouse. I am able to print using a wireless connection in the Nokia N95 and have no problem using a wireless bluetooth keyboard with the N95 but the mouse has me stumped. I would have assumed that it was simply not an option except that I keep stumbling across post on the internet referring to using their Nokia N95 8GB smartphone with a bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse (essentially turning the N95 into a Mini Laptop) for the road warrior. Maybe these posts are a hoax. So I decided to throw the question into the arena in hope of enlightenment or clarification that it's just not an option.

Old 25-03-2008, 03:22 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
What's the thread? Maybe you could post a link.

I've just had a quick gander online and it seems you're not the only person who's asked about this. This page dated mid 07 shows someone else asking too. In one of the comments, someone suggested making a driver for the N95 to support a bluetooth keyboard with a built-in touchpad. This doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 25-03-2008, 03:36 AM

Yes, I saw that before and it was encouraging seeing the confirmation that the N95 can connect to more than one bluetooth device at a time. I had not really thought of a bluetooth keyboard with a touchpad (Hmmm...Wheels turning in brain now) that could replace the mouse altogether if it works. That's an interesting possibility. I liked the compact design of the Igo Stowaway BT Keyboard (folds up into practically nothing) but I'd give that up in a heartbeat for a fully functioning big old klunky BT Keyboard (with touchpad) functioning as a mouse with the N95.

Old 25-03-2008, 03:43 AM

Zxon,
forgot to post link of where I saw the talk about the bluetooth mouse with the N95.
http://forums.macrumors.com/index.php
It's in that Mac forum if you search (bluetooth mouse) you will see a thread who uses bluetooth mouse & Phone. Now of course I can't find the other places I saw similar posts. I hate when you see something on the internet and try to go back to where you saw it and can't find it.