All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umberto View Post
This phone offers (more or less) the same things of my N95 excpept the camera (3.2 Mpixels). But is has a large and (on the paper) impressive touchscreen.
I owned 3 pdas (Palm m505, Tungsten T3 and Acer N50) and I think the touchscreen is in general very useful but has also some flaws: scratches, dirt and, overall, it is not so easily readable outside, especially in direct sunlight. Furthermore, in case of hard use (for instance a virtual thumb keyboard to write long documents) it drains the battery very fast.
As a consequence, before giving a definitive judgement of this interesting device, I expect a complete review regarding all these things. Last but no least, I forgot to mention the touch sensitivity: I tried a Samsung Omnia of one of my friends and it is terrible on that point of view.
So far all the so called touchscreen phones (including Nokia 5800, Samsung Omnia, Innov8, LG Viewty, HTC Touch, etc.)are based resistive touch technology which requires you to apply pressure for screen input. That is the main reason why they are usually less sensitive to touch and requires the use of a stylus pen.

iPhone touchscreen is based on capacitive touch technology which works to your fingers electricity for input (and supports up to 5 fingers multitouch). It is more subtle, fluid and precise as compared to Nokia 5800.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
India times has a comparison of the 5800 and iPhone here.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So far all the so called touchscreen phones (including Nokia 5800, Samsung Omnia, Innov8, LG Viewty, HTC Touch, etc.)are based resistive touch technology which requires you to apply pressure for screen input. That is the main reason why they are usually less sensitive to touch and requires the use of a stylus pen.

iPhone touchscreen is based on capacitive touch technology which works to your fingers electricity for input (and supports up to 5 fingers multitouch). It is more subtle, fluid and precise as compared to Nokia 5800.
But you can't use it with gloves on, so you're screwed if you're out in the cold and want to text someone.

Way to go apple .....

But I'll echo the other comments on multi touch. Its not the end of the world, and I cannot believe with all the prior art out there that Apple would be granted a patent on multi-touch or gesture related input.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:41 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Location of ports bad a problem?

Man, I'm really impressed with the 5800, in every regard except one: the location of the ports at the top. Why did Nokia do this (also with the N85)? Is there some rationale I'm not figuring out? I use my Nokia 6120c in my car a lot, with the power and AV cables plugged in nicely at the bottom of the phone. With the 5800, we'll have these jutting out of the top and wrapping back downward toward the center console of the car! Weird.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Scoob is on a distinguished road
Could 5800 be a serious business tool?

I own an aging 9500, and aging myself, the best features for me are the Contacts (over 2000) Calendar (easily >10 entries per day), and spreadsheet with graphing functions. I use it mainly for business. I've been looking for a replacement that is a little more compact, so the E90 is too big, but with a decent size screen, so the E71's is too small. Could the 5800 be the one we've been waiting for? Obviously it's targeted at music users, but could it be a serious business tool? Can it run and make the best use of Quickoffice?

Thanks for any business-user insight here.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The 5800 could be a serious business tool just as well as any other phone. (My phone is a serious business tool for me, but I don't use QuickOffice for anything. I'm currently using the N95 8GB. Of course what "serious" and "business" means is different for different people.)

I haven't seen any references to QuickOffice in regards to the 5800, but you could always ask QuickOffice if they've plans to support it and S60 5th Edition: http://www.quickoffice.com

However, if you type/write a lot, then a phone with a proper keyboard might still be better for you.
Ads

Old 14-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

Link to FCC filing for 5800

Great detailed infor on 5800:

Internal pictures of product.
Testing results
draft user manual

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r...27LJPRM-356%27

Old 18-10-2008, 09:08 AM

RadicalSatDude is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Nokia has a terrible VPN client

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
I own an aging 9500, and aging myself, the best features for me are the Contacts (over 2000) Calendar (easily >10 entries per day), and spreadsheet with graphing functions. I use it mainly for business. I've been looking for a replacement that is a little more compact, so the E90 is too big, but with a decent size screen, so the E71's is too small. Could the 5800 be the one we've been waiting for? Obviously it's targeted at music users, but could it be a serious business tool? Can it run and make the best use of Quickoffice?

Thanks for any business-user insight here.

I’ve always been a Nokia user, but one of the one biggest holes which I’ve noticed in Nokia S60 devices is its VPN implementation.

Business users need proper VPN, even the crappy version 1 iPhone can do basic PPTP connections. Nokia can only do the horrible and expensive to implement 'IPsec'.

Eseries has been out for years, why isn’t Nokia covering PPTP and Open SSL/OpenVPN? It’s just softwares isn’t it?

This means a lot to those like me, who live in countries like UAE, China, & KSA where most of the cool sites/services like Last.FM, Flickr, SIP, Skype etc, have been blocked for years. This lack of proper VPN support hurts us financially, as much I like Nokia, they really suck at implementing proper VPN.

Old 18-10-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekolmer View Post
Man, I'm really impressed with the 5800, in every regard except one: the location of the ports at the top. Why did Nokia do this (also with the N85)? Is there some rationale I'm not figuring out? I use my Nokia 6120c in my car a lot, with the power and AV cables plugged in nicely at the bottom of the phone. With the 5800, we'll have these jutting out of the top and wrapping back downward toward the center console of the car! Weird.
I agree, I was thinking the same. Cable management will be a nusiance in the car. Not everyone likes to use bluetooth, especially since those cassette adapters are cheap and sound better . Unless we can rotate the whole screen 180 degress, just a firmware update right?

Old 21-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalSatDude View Post
Not everyone likes to use bluetooth, especially since those cassette adapters are cheap and sound better
That just made me spit coffee over my keyboard. If you think of that you might as well get a walkman their is a HUGE difference.

Old 21-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iíve always been a Nokia user, but one of the one biggest holes which Iíve noticed in Nokia S60 devices is its VPN implementation.

Business users need proper VPN, even the crappy version 1 iPhone can do basic PPTP connections. Nokia can only do the horrible and expensive to implement 'IPsec'.

Eseries has been out for years, why isnít Nokia covering PPTP and Open SSL/OpenVPN? Itís just softwares isnít it?
I'll echo that, its not even present on any E series devices. And I cannot think of any good reason why.

Old 21-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugged View Post
That just made me spit coffee over my keyboard. If you think of that you might as well get a walkman their is a HUGE difference.
Oh my fault, I was making the comparison to FM transmitters.

Old 21-10-2008, 09:00 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh my fault, I was making the comparison to FM transmitters.
Ah I just found the front to my Bluetooth Radio and after 2 months of torture I can testify that bluetooth is a hell of a lot better than tape converters

Old 23-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackN91 View Post
I don't know about any good reason either. I did beta-testing for PPTP client more then year ago, all works just fine there. Looks like that developer simply is not planning to distribute this software, my guess is that the probable reason is the amount of illegal software usage on unprotected S60 platform, so it is simply not profitable enough from development and consecutive support points of view.
Is there any way to get an offcial response from Nokia on this, or send this message across. Since they're already bundling a VPN client (Although a virtually useless one) they could just build on top of that or release different variants.

I'm really confused about why Nokia would release business class devices or apps that fall so short. It's not like we're talking about some usless kiddy accelerometer app, it's the almighty VPN!

Old 23-10-2008, 12:07 PM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
I see from the draft manual that Nokia still aren't including features like Tab support in the browser.

Hope Opera announce they'll be releasing a S60 5th edition beta of opera 9.5 for soon after the 5800s release or I won't be getting one of these for a while.

Also any news on whether S60 5th edition is finally bringing back Connection Groups ?

Last edited by matchstick; 23-10-2008 at 12:09 PM.