All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 28-04-2009, 02:28 PM

tym79m is on a distinguished road
http://shortcovers.com/ is developing a reader for S60 for its ebook services.

Old 28-04-2009, 05:39 PM
readme

Article iSilo

Let's not forget that iSilo is still around and in active development. Out of all the readers out there, iSilo seems to have the greatest platform coverage.

Old 28-04-2009, 08:29 PM
ktneely

unless

I could see Amazon letting Mobipocket die unless they wanted to extend their reach into other mobile phone platforms. The fact that the iPhone Amazon app stays in sync with where you are in the Kindle almost makes me want to drop my S60 and Sony eReader combo in favor of that. If they offered the same service for other platforms, I might look at the Kindle more seriously.

Thanks for the heads-up on Shortcovers, they have an S60 app in the works.

Old 28-04-2009, 08:49 PM

tonyn is on a distinguished road
Stanza now part of Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
I have read many ebooks on a variety of devices including Psion, Palm, Pocket PC, N95, and now iPhone using the fabulous Stanza software.

I have hope that the developers of Stanza might release an S60 5th version if the N97 really takes off sells in big numbers. Unfortunately its more likely that this will be one of an increasing number of categories of software where Apple's more "computing platform" focussed approach will attract the lion's share of the development community.
Lexcycle, publisher of Stanza, was acquired by Amazon on Monday, so there is a big risk that it will focus on being Amazon's gateway to selling Kindle content to iPhone users. :-(

See The Register coverage here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04...buys_lexcycle/

Old 28-04-2009, 09:08 PM

abruenin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by readme View Post
Let's not forget that iSilo is still around and in active development. Out of all the readers out there, iSilo seems to have the greatest platform coverage.
Yes, I am relying on iSilo since early Palm days. Though a 5th Ed. version is still missing, while they brought iSilo for the iPhone and a beta for Android, I am still confident that there will be iSilo for 5th Ed. soon.

Old 29-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up world's best eBook reading solution on laptops...

check this out: www.ebook.com
these guys have a great app, plenty of free eBooks and previews for DRM titles with multimedia and embedded video!
I can't believe that I missed this!
Bluey,

Old 01-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Ever since I stumbled upon this software, I've ditched physical books. Reading on mobile is convenient and portable. I've read dozens of books on mobile. Mobipocket reader along with the converter is a great package. I always have around 2 dozen books on my mobile. I cannot move to S60 5th edition unless it has a reader software.. And I prefer mobipocket reader because of the converter. Hopefully Mobipocket will come out of it's reverie and update the reader to 5th edition. Can't we do anything about it? Write a letter to the developers, sign a petition etc. I really like mobipocket reader and I'm a bookworm.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Unregistered

Well, here you go. A freeware ebook reader for S60 5th, with txt support, basic FB2 support (use Any2FB for conversion from the usual batch of formats). Developed by a lone hobby programmer somewhere in Russia. Mad props to the guy: http://zxstyles.allnokia.ru/index.php

The site is in Russian, but it should be relatively easy to understand. The software come with an english interface by default.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
How many people have read a novel ...

I frequently read fiction on my E90. As others have said the wide internal screen makes it a brilliant eBook reading device. And also as others have said, I much prefer reading on the E90 to reading a physical book.

Mobipocket do a pretty good job (although my aging eyes would like the option for a slightly larger font, just because the E90's internal screen insists on using a smaller font than the external one, which always struck me as odd).

Anyway, I have the background set to yellow with black text, which gives me the best setup for bedtime reading with the light off - clear display but without bright glare.

I like MobiPocket's slim progress bar at the bottom of the screen. I like the fact that I can choose my font and font size, text and background colour. I like the fact that I can use the space bar to "turn the page" (it's the most comformable key to use - much better than the D-pad). Lots of things about MobiPocket Reader just work well for reading a book. I also like the fact that I can make notes (albeit only by synching changes made on the PC end) about my books (give them ratings, write my own precis, make notes about what other books are in the same series, and in what order, etc.). For me, an eBook reader needs all these features, and others I probably haven't remembered.

Features I'd like to see on a S60-based app - whatever it's written in (i.e. not needing sync with a PC): the ability to add my own comments, rating, etc.; Library views showing both title and author (unlike a real book, you don't get a reminder of what you're reading every time you pick up the "book") - Mobipocket gives you the option to open in library view (with the current book selected), but only shows the title, not the author). I read a lot, but often forget what / who I'm in the middle of reading. Maybe it's just me ...; the ability to categorise / tag / label books in whatever combination I choose, and view/filter the "library" by tag / label / category as well as by whatever built-in tag (such as genre) that the book is given by the publisher. It appears that if you change device, you also have to re-download secure (DRMed) MobiPocket format books, so it would be useful to keep a note of where you purchased too!

One particular book I read prompted me to look for more in the series, and I discovered that the next book was only available in eReader format (and later ones in no e-format at all), so I bought that, and installed eReader. It was awful. A lot of the formatting was poor on the internal screen (I don't even ever attempt to e-read on the external screen), with italics in particular not being rendered in the correct font size, and disappearing off the screen. It frequently seemed to "forget" part of my settings, so it would remember my font size, but forget how that related to page size, so turning the page would skip a couple of paragraphs. There was a poor (read uncomfortable) choice of keys for page turning so that I reverted to automatic scrolling which I don't much like, no option for scrolling part of a page, and numerous other annoying things I can't even remember. From now on, no matter how good the book, I won't buy it if the only option is eReader format ... unless I can find a better app that supports that format.

It may be "simple" to write a e-reading app, but there are still a lot of things that you can get right or wrong in the process that make a big difference to whether it's a pleasure or a battle to use it.

Then, I'd just like to see a much wider availability of up-to-date e-books! Bring on the latest Pratchett, etc.

Julie

Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, here you go. A freeware ebook reader for S60 5th, with txt support, basic FB2 support (use Any2FB for conversion from the usual batch of formats). Developed by a lone hobby programmer somewhere in Russia. Mad props to the guy: http://zxstyles.allnokia.ru/index.php
Here's a translated version: http://zxstyles.allnokia.ru/index.php in English.