All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
did they fix the dial pad bug? on the dial pad, there are no letters, so if you want to dial 1-800-FLOWERS, you are supposed to just magically memorize the letters. what a horrible design flaw by nokia. god forbid, someone has to enter a unique password for voicemail or something, forget about it!
As Quagmire says, that kind of mnemonic just isn't used in Europe, and all phone passwords are numbers. That's probably why they aren't on the virtual keypad dialler, there just isn't any call for letters on phone diallers here, so it's not so much a bug as a cultural difference.

BUT... it's a very good point though, as it would help the 5800 sales in North America. Nokia ought to include letters on the virtual keypad of the North American versions of their touch devices.

Old 28-04-2009, 06:21 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
As Quagmire says, that kind of mnemonic just isn't used in Europe, and all phone passwords are numbers. That's probably why they aren't on the virtual keypad dialler, there just isn't any call for letters on phone diallers here, so it's not so much a bug as a cultural difference.

BUT... it's a very good point though, as it would help the 5800 sales in North America. Nokia ought to include letters on the virtual keypad of the North American versions of their touch devices.
The funny thing is, the virtual T9 keyboard has the letters-- its just that a different number-only virtual keypad is accessed when dialing.

Old 28-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

Not having the letters on the dialing screen makes perfect sense to me. It's a visual indication that you can type only numbers, just the same as it is if you manually set it to "numbers only mode".

Basically I personally like it just the way it is, but I can see why having an option somewhere to switch display of the letters one would be an improvement (especially for USA-ians) and that nokia should have thought about that from the start.

Old 28-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

you guys are just being silly. every european phone i have purchased ALWAYS has letters on the dial pad. this is an oversight. there are times when i call my bank, and they ask me to enter the first 3 letters of the month in question, and that would be impossible on the 5800. it was a bug, and its been proved as a bug. hell, the letters are there in the T9 dial pad. they simply forgot. tell me this, how would you dial 1-800-FLOWERS from the 5800? you couldnt. and the north american version is missing the letter as well, so its not a european thing. its a horrible nokia screw up, which STILL hasnt been fixed with a firmware update.

Old 29-04-2009, 06:14 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I dont know why there is all this fuss about alphabets on the dial pad. We all have been using these keypads for so long on non-touch phones that i am sure we know where the alphabets are. Try using them anyways. Am sure you will not miss..

Old 29-04-2009, 07:04 AM

gavacac is on a distinguished road
Gutted about iPlayer downloads. If I'd known about that I would have waited. Hurry up and fix it BBC.

Old 29-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Italiano

1-800-FLOWERS in europe would be given as 1-800-3569377, and that is how the number would be advertised and distributed. Europeans use their brains and not infant school learning aids to enter phone numbers.

Old 29-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you guys are just being silly. every european phone i have purchased ALWAYS has letters on the dial pad. this is an oversight. there are times when i call my bank, and they ask me to enter the first 3 letters of the month in question, and that would be impossible on the 5800. it was a bug, and its been proved as a bug. hell, the letters are there in the T9 dial pad. they simply forgot. tell me this, how would you dial 1-800-FLOWERS from the 5800? you couldn't. and the north american version is missing the letter as well, so its not a european thing. its a horrible nokia screw up, which STILL hasnt been fixed with a firmware update.
That's because you have to use those buttons to enter 'text' on those phones. It's common sense, not silly. Keep the interface clean etc.

It has nothing to do with using it to dial phone 'numbers'. Hence it is still present for 'text' input in T9 input.

But if the US is big on the use of this, then it's not exactly a difficult thing for Nokia to do and they should do it...

Zuber
Ads

Old 29-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Unregistered

Smile

Unregistered - you do realise you are not 'dialing' or typing letters right?

The 1-800-FLOWERS menemonic is just that - an easier way to distribute or remember the number. The phone makes the same dial tone whether you press D, E or F as they are all on the number 3 key.

Nothing to do with letters in the phone network or typing a word....

Old 29-04-2009, 09:12 AM
kip

Changelog

Following BUGS are fixed,
* Lock code does not work after FOTA update
* Logs: Info cannot be seen in missed calls if name includes special characters
* The envelope icon doesn’t open after reading the sms
* Autolock requested via MfE but not activated
* MPX harvester server crach with DRM files
* Oper. menu application icon missing after NSU update
* CDP Displays: CDP Clock and Data Have To Be Transmitted 2 Frames Before Sleep Out (SLPOUT 11h) Command
* “Program closed: Idle” after Restoring factory settings
* Video telephone: Phone reboots after tap call button several times when answer an incoming video call
* Music Player crashes when user tries to refresh Real audio into Music library
* Dialer: The cursor is not displayed in dialer panel
* Audio disappears after playing music long time with BT
* Music player the album art in Now Playing view is downscaled
* Access point password is not provisionable
* Voice commands application crashes after language change
* Synchronization cannot be done using PC Suite Sync application
* FL3.0: Inline Text editing from browser plugin is not successful
* Browser does not show some MIME-types of type image correctly
* Browser: Not possible to move the cursor when typing in a <textarea> field
* Browser: Page scroll wobbles if user scrolls with flash while page is in scroll motion
* Browser: Page does not scroll if drag is started from the edge of flash window
* Browser: Page scroll does not work after stopping going to new page opened via flash banner
* Bluetooth causing extra current consumption when activated
* Predictive search not working properly in country selection
* Music Player application crashes if album art is selected to be changed
* Duplicate contacts after restore
* Music Player: White screen displayed if change orientation between landscape and portable mode
* MO/MT calls will not work when restoring backup from old phone to more recent version

NEW FEATURES AND APPLICATIONS

* Notification Lights according to Nokia Design specification
* Touch usability improvements:
* Finger touch support for Special Character Table
* Size of arrows (tab pane & navi pane) in touch UI
* Arrows in forms, date & time selection, touch UI
* Profile, date area in touch UI
* Calendar Finger usability: change single row list items in day view wider

Old 29-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

There appears to be a major problem with removing letter entry from the numeric keypad. My lock code used to be 'dacd', now I CANNOT unlock my phone because is only allows number entry!!!! Help please?

Old 29-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

i feel annoy v21 doesnt fix some bugs...
1. cannot mark several- still need pencil
2. camera setting still reset after exit
3. folder in gallery doesnt shoewname
4. gallery is very inorganize- all i con, photo, picture , video put in gallery. seems like dumping site for picture
5. no extra theme effect like iphone,

Old 29-04-2009, 12:50 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
sonofagun!!! iPlayer if fuked is it!!?? Jeezus, this needs to be fixed. Somebody pls confirm when this is fixed.

Also annoying how the alarm does not default to the alphanumeric keypad, unless you happen to use that as your text-input method on other apps on the 5800. Now WTF is the use in setting an alarm with the full qwerty keyboard option? Nokia should have fixed this by now

Old 29-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Unregistered

I fixed the key lock problem. Just keep the # pressed - a letter entry screen then appears. Phew!!

Old 29-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There appears to be a major problem with removing letter entry from the numeric keypad. My lock code used to be 'dacd', now I CANNOT unlock my phone because is only allows number entry!!!! Help please?
Duh! Ask your carer or a responsible adult to help you.