All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Introducing Network Commander

Telexy Networks has launched Network Commander, a collection of useful network utilities for Symbian OS. A while back Telexy released a piece of

software called SymSMB - basically it allowed Symbian devices to connect to network shares via Wi-Fi. Very clever, but they encountered a small legal issue with a large Finnish phone maker. To cut a long story short, they shouldn't have been doing two jobs at once. Naughty. So SymSMB was pulled from sale, sadly. But there's now Network Commander and I've looked at it briefly below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM

tym79m is on a distinguished road
I'll give this a try with my next handset.

SymSMB has worked well for me with my current handset, allowing me to move files over WiFi between my handset and Linux, Windows, and Mac personal computers. It had become one of my short list of "must have" applications (I realize that FP2 supports WebDAV, but SMB "just works") so I'm glad to see that Telexy is able to continue to produce a similar product. I just hope it works as well as the earlier one.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Unregistered

Very nice!

Looks great, only one downside - 50 Euro price! That's a lot of money for a piece of software, I paid about the same for the copy of Windows Vista on my home PC.

Even if I used it every day I don't think I could justify the price.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Which one

Which one of these is the right client to use if you want to simply map an Internet drive and have access to it while being mobile? This looks like a great app suite though.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
You can buy these separately

Note that you can buy these pieces separately, you don't have to pay 50 euros. SymNAS is only €19.95, so if you just want to view your microSD card (E: drive) in Windows Explorer or the Finder on the Mac, and copy/remove files wirelessly via WiFi to the flash disk, SymNAS will do it for you (similar to the previous SymSMB, but simpler to setup). I still use SymSMB but will migrate to SymNAS when I eventually change phones. Since my N82 only has slow USB (1.1?) copying files via WiFi at 500KB/second is actually quicker than connecting via USB to my Mac.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

better

Unregistered #1 here.. 20E is much better, although 5 would be even better :-)

I looked on their website and couldn't see how to get individual parts or their prices.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:32 AM

Solnyshok is on a distinguished road
SymSync is a misleading name. It is rather a SymMirror, because it mirrors source to the target destination. No two-way syncing.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 PM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
> I looked on their website and couldn't see how to get individual parts or their prices.

Follow the links above, e.g.

http://www.telexy.com/Products/Produ...x?ProductId=20

Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

Is it possible to use this software to create a PPPoE connection via Wi-Fi AP?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
hmm.. bit cryptic your statement "A while back Telexy released a piece of software called SymSMB - basically it allowed Symbian devices to connect to network shares via Wi-Fi. Very clever, but they encountered a small legal issue with a large Finnish phone maker. To cut a long story short, they shouldn't have been doing two jobs at once. Naughty."

I'm just curious.. why would SYMSMB get on the wrong side of Nokia? I dont understand why considering it was an extremely powerful utility and is a capability that even Iphones do not have..

Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 AM
deter3

Pain in uninstallation

It's really a big pain in uninstall the software at my E90 . When I try to remove it , it says "remove failed " all the time .

Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Unregistered

"I'm just curious.. why would SYMSMB get on the wrong side of Nokia? I dont understand why considering it was an extremely powerful utility and is a capability that even Iphones do not have.."

Apparently one of the Telexy programmers was also working for Nokia, and there was some conflict of interest problem, meaning that Telexy had to stop selling SymSMB. It's a real pity, as I use it a lot on my E90; I use a REXX backup program that I wrote to synchronise a folder on my E90 with a folder on my laptop via WiFi, which works really well.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 PM

chairstacker is on a distinguished road
Angry SymNAS - can't gt rid of it

Hi deter3,

have you - or anybody else - found a way to uninstall this piece of software?
It was a pain to install (loads of error messages),
it was a pain to register (took about 5 efforts),
it was a pain to run (so slow that it's faster to install the PC-Suite & buy a cable)
an now - in good tradition, it seems - it's a pain to get rid of.

Any help appreciated!
Ads

Old 15-07-2009, 06:22 AM

brucemendes is on a distinguished road
Network Commander 2.1 is other comms tools software developed by Private Programmer.
GUI interface for command prompt network functins,TCP/UDP/ICMP/IP statistics,network calculators, base converter. managing remote client computer without the need of installing additional software on the client side. Scan a range of IP address for open ports. Client/Server message & file exchange. FTP & TFTP clients, Sending FTP raw commands, for example: PORT,PASS,LIST
This communications program is freeware, so you can download and use it absolutely free. Network Commander 2.1 supports different languages (including English). It works with Windows XP/Vista.
Latest Network Commander 2.1 does not contain any spyware and/or advertise modules, allowing installing it with no worries concerning valuable information loss.