All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
i just dont believe that nobody uses MMS. my family uses it. my dad loves sending pics of the little kids and whatnot. friends of mine use it. i use it. i think there are a lot more people in the world using MMS than people let on around here.
Than the stats that the networks generate let on? There are far more pictures being bounced around as email attachments, or being pushed to sharing sites than MMS. MMS use is low and declining.

But there's always one.

Old 21-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
i just dont believe that nobody uses MMS. my family uses it. my dad loves sending pics of the little kids and whatnot. friends of mine use it. i use it. i think there are a lot more people in the world using MMS than people let on around here.
Totally agree. Take photo of children in the snow. Send photo via MMS to grandparents. Grandparents look at message moments later. Grandparents happy. Instant. Convenient. Great technology.

Old 21-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

I believe that is just the normal 3.0 version without free navigation. If you select any of the supported phones it actually says 'with free navigation' where as the N95 selection does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym79m View Post
I went to http://maps.ovi.com/ and from there was redirected to http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...load#/default/ where I selected "N95" from a menu.

Old 21-01-2010, 10:38 PM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Donegan View Post
Bollocks. Let's examine. Nokia own Navteq outright - all their data and so on. Google offer navigation in the same way as search. As a service to get money back through increased advertising revenue. Apple on the other hand don't own any map data, or run an advertising business. So they would have to pay someone for the maps - Nokia/Navteq are hardly going to co-operate so they would be at the mercy of TeleAtlas. They would literally be haemorrhaging cash. In order to increase what? Sales volume's? This is not Apple's business model, they operate a profit based business.
Apparently, Apple does own a small map company, Placebase.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18740...om_garmin.html

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ogles_bow.html

Perhaps they are just looking to replace the basic Google Maps already on iPhones, but perhaps they could add navigation, as well.

Old 21-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

No FREE NAVIGATION for Nokia E71

Iím so upset that Nokia decided not to provide the free navigation for its Nokia E71 model which many have purchased unlocked the past year. Of course, Nokia wants all of us E71 users to upgrade to the E72, which from most reviews Iíve read is a substandard phone compared to the E71. Iím tired of Nokia screwing its loyal customer base (Iíve only used Nokia phones since 1997) in the name of making a buck Ö loyalty only last so long. With the new droid phones having free voice turn-by-turn navigation, my loyalty may end sooner than later since this is how Nokia rewards itís loyal customers and fans.

Old 21-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well I managed to get the application installed on my 6220 classic by removing the existing maps app, and downloading the E72 version to my Pc, which is maps_installer_3.03wk1_b05_s60_5.0.Nocs.sis and installing via Ovi suite.

I now need to re-download the maps, but the server Ovi suite uses seems to be getting hit hard as it just keeps reporting that the maps server is unavailable.
Spoke too soon. Maps eventually downloaded, but the app will not start. I think it may be the 5th edition version, although it was for the E72, which is 3rd FP2 as far as I can see (same as the 6220c)

Looks like I'll have to wait :-(

Old 21-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerWol View Post
On my e52 the compass no longer seems to work. Anyone else noticed something similar?
Compass not working on my E72-2
Ads

Old 21-01-2010, 11:46 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iím so upset that Nokia decided not to provide the free navigation for its Nokia E71 model which many have purchased unlocked the past year. Of course, Nokia wants all of us E71 users to upgrade to the E72, which from most reviews Iíve read is a substandard phone compared to the E71. Iím tired of Nokia screwing its loyal customer base (Iíve only used Nokia phones since 1997) in the name of making a buck Ö loyalty only last so long. With the new droid phones having free voice turn-by-turn navigation, my loyalty may end sooner than later since this is how Nokia rewards itís loyal customers and fans.
umm i would not worry and relax a bit as i'm sure the e71 will get the free navigation soon enough. it just wasn't part of the first round of devices, but i am sure it will get it eventually.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:53 AM

tym79m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe that is just the normal 3.0 version without free navigation. If you select any of the supported phones it actually says 'with free navigation' where as the N95 selection does not.
It is version 3.0, but it does indeed have free navigation. The "share your location" stuff isn't there (as far as I can tell) but free turn-by-turn definitely is.

Old 22-01-2010, 01:38 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Grrrrrrrr.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ememess View Post
How is MMS working on any phone? Very very few people use it, I saw some network stats and MMS may as well not be there. Not many would miss it if it wasn't available. Lack off MMS never was a problem on the iPhone.
What an utter utter pile of drivel and codswallop!

Did you REALLY look at MMS usage statistics as you claim, or were you just making that up...?

Here's one I REALLY DID look at, and therefore how I DIDN'T just make MY post up...

http://www.mobilemarketingmagazine.c...d-mms-usa.html

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER...

That's simply the very FIRST article I found on MMS usage.

Why do I say this..? Because those figures are for the UK alone...

And they are from way way back in September 2008, so if MMS trends are mirroring sms yearly increase patterns, you can therefore pretty much multiply by a factor of TEN the figures quoted in that article, to mark over a year and a bit of growth.

So the UK alone figures were a staggering 1.5 MILLION picture messages a DAY - yes every single day.

And multiply by a rough factor of ten, to bring up to date, that's a possible figure of FIFTEEN MILLION MMS messages, sent every single DAY, and that's in the UK alone.

Yup... that sure equates to "very few people using it", and "it might as well not be there" now doesn't it...?

Doh. And I wonder why I get so angry sometimes...?

If 'few' people actually use MMS, then I'll tell you what, someone's got a VERY big phone bill to pay, if he is individually responsible for being the one/few sending FIFTEEN MILLION MMS every single day...

Old 22-01-2010, 01:59 AM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
What an utter utter pile of drivel and codswallop!

Did you REALLY look at MMS usage statistics as you claim, or were you just making that up...?

Here's one I REALLY DID look at, and therefore how I DIDN'T just make MY post up...

http://www.mobilemarketingmagazine.c...d-mms-usa.html

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER...

That's simply the very FIRST article I found on MMS usage.

And they are from way way back in September 2008, so if MMS trends are mirroring sms yearly increase patterns, you can therefore pretty much multiply by a factor of TEN the figures quoted in that article, to mark over a year and a bit of growth.

So the UK alone figures were a staggering 1.5 MILLION picture messages a DAY - yes every single day.

Yup... that sure equates to "very few people using it", and "it might as well not be there" now doesn't it...?

Doh. And I wonder why I get so angry sometimes...?

If 'few' people actually use MMS, then I'll tell you what, someone's got a VERY big phone bill to pay, if he is individually responsible for being the one/few sending FIFTEEN MILLION MMS every single day...
You are making a lot of assumptions. Is MMS usage rising at the same level as SMS usage? Considering that there are over 60 million people in the UK and cell phone uptake is very high, is this a big number? Maybe, maybe not. Also, if given an alternative to MMS, such as e-mail, would people be content?

Anyway, this article is about the impact of navigation. I think it is a big deal, and gives Nokia a good way of countering weaknesses elsewhere (the rest of Ovi, lack of apps, an aging OS) and maintaining market share in the face of increasing competition from Android, iPhone, and RIM.

Old 22-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I tried this route as well and still ended up with 3.01.09 the wk26b02 changed to wk44b01 but "Turn by Turn" still needs a licence.

I wonder if those getting 3.03 are on v35 of the firmware? Unfortunately Vodafone in New Zealand haven't released that yet.

Old 22-01-2010, 02:14 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
You are making a lot of assumptions. Is MMS usage rising at the same level as SMS usage? Considering that there are over 60 million people in the UK and cell phone uptake is very high, is this a big number? Maybe, maybe not. Also, if given an alternative to MMS, such as e-mail, would people be content?

Anyway, this article is about the impact of navigation. I think it is a big deal, and gives Nokia a good way of countering weaknesses elsewhere (the rest of Ovi, lack of apps, an aging OS) and maintaining market share in the face of increasing competition from Android, iPhone, and RIM.

Tell you what, let's make ZERO assumptions at all, even if my 'assumptions' WERE indeed based on recognised growth patterns.

Let's instead humour you, and PRETEND that there has been ZERO growth since September 2008.

So where does that leave us then...?

With a MASSIVE One and a Half MILLION MMS messages sent in the UK alone, every single DAY.

Yeah - that's hardly anyone using it, isn't it...?

DOUBLE DOH.

And pro-rata, I don't even need the figures, to knwo that MMS usage is a fraction of what SMS usage is. Never claimed any different.

I am clear however, that 1.5 MILLION MMS - PER DAY, for the UK ALONE, is a big figure... a very big figure... A very very very big figure indeed still, actually.

Notwithstanding, using those values is to humour you.

Like I said earlier, the REAL figures are indeed even massively higher, as since Sept 2008, it is well known and documented that there has been a huge non-linear growth in the number of MMS sent

Last edited by shadamehr; 22-01-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Old 22-01-2010, 02:48 AM
KPOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post

I am clear however, that 1.5 MILLION MMS - PER DAY, for the UK ALONE, is a big figure... a very big figure... A very very very big figure indeed still, actually.

Notwithstanding, using those values is to humour you.

Like I said earlier, the REAL figures are indeed even massively higher, as since Sept 2008, it is well known and documented that there has been a huge non-linear growth in the number of MMS sent
Perhaps the fact that neither of us could find recent MMS articles even though SMS usage articles abound is telling. Anyway, I did find this article from December 2008:

http://techcrunchies.com/revenue-gro...ms-versus-sms/

The bottom line is that MMS is well behind SMS in terms of popularity. That Nokia themselves released the first Maemo phone without MMS is evidence enough that it is not a critical feature.

I've owned six Nokia devices, including 5 S60 devices over the past 3 years. If Nokia had released this 2 months ago I might have bit the bullet and kept my N97 a little longer. I like many aspects of Nokia phones and think today's move was a good one, albeit somewhat predictable after Google's move in November.

To the original point, though, Apple managed to sell about 20 million iPhones before MMS became available. It went from 0 to #3 globally in about 2 years in terms of smartphone market share, without supporting MMS.

Old 22-01-2010, 02:52 AM

kenkiller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well I managed to get the application installed on my 6220 classic by removing the existing maps app, and downloading the E72 version to my Pc, which is maps_installer_3.03wk1_b05_s60_5.0.Nocs.sis and installing via Ovi suite.

I now need to re-download the maps, but the server Ovi suite uses seems to be getting hit hard as it just keeps reporting that the maps server is unavailable.
I'm pretty sure the file you've named is the S60v5 version....the E72 version has 3.2 at the end of the file instead of 5.0.